How would this work.

limegorilla
Go to solution Solved by Levisallanon,
1 minute ago, limegorilla said:

Would there be no way of adding the line in myself? Would the line have to go underground?

it's their line, tapping into it yourself etc is illegal and very dangerous. They first need to make sure a connection is in the building. from there on out you can do it yourself if they allow the customer to use their own modem equipment, but probably you will get a modem from them too and then from there on out you can do it yourself.

Ok, I live on a hotel (here is the long story, it used to be apartment complex, then turned into a hotel, then the hotel sold off about a quarter of its premises in 2008, and now I live in one.) and we have NO PHONE LINE. Now, for the last year and a half, we have lived off the hotels wifi where I am "limited" to 6Mbs. More like 0.8Mbs.

I know right? Painful as hell.

Anyway, the hotel has fibre running outside it, and according to Vodaphone, we can get a fibre broadband connection to the hotels address. How (and what would I need) to get a fibre line down from the road to my house? The road is about 500m away from me, and I have the (somewhat) cooperation of the board.

Any ideas?

Bear in mind that I haven't talked to Vodaphone yet, but we are a lot cleverer on here....

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

2 minutes ago, limegorilla said:

Ok, I live on a hotel (here is the long story, it used to be apartment complex, then turned into a hotel, then the hotel sold off about a quarter of its premises in 2008, and now I live in one.) and we have NO PHONE LINE. Now, for the last year and a half, we have lived off the hotels wifi where I am "limited" to 6Mbs. More like 0.8Mbs.

I know right? Painful as hell.

Anyway, the hotel has fibre running outside it, and according to Vodaphone, we can get a fibre broadband connection to the hotels address. How (and what would I need) to get a fibre line down from the road to my house? The road is about 500m away from me, and I have the (somewhat) cooperation of the board.

Any ideas?

Bear in mind that I haven't talked to Vodaphone yet, but we are a lot cleverer on here....

well the thing you need to do is talk with vodaphone because they have to arrange for the fiber line to enter the building etc.

Just now, Levisallanon said:

well the thing you need to do is talk with vodaphone because they have to arrange for the fiber line to enter the building etc.

Would there be no way of adding the line in myself? Would the line have to go underground?

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

1 minute ago, limegorilla said:

it's their line, tapping into it yourself etc is illegal and very dangerous. They first need to make sure a connection is in the building. from there on out you can do it yourself if they allow the customer to use their own modem equipment, but probably you will get a modem from them too and then from there on out you can do it yourself.

The moment you even break the insulation on the fiber, light loss would drop all the customers (if its in a hotel, possibly hundreds) and they would know right off. 

Also note that fiber cant just be feed off. Each fiber needs a single link back to the ISPs equipment.

It just means you will piss a lot of people off just to find out you can use any of it and on top of that is caught will have $10,000+ in fines because of down times and labor to rerun cable.