Ryzen or Coffee Lake

Go to solution Solved by nicolas2465,

Personally I was going to go for ryzen, but I can't bring myself to lower my FPS in games just to save a few dollars. And I don't need 12 threads, so I think I'm going to go for an i5.  Unless ryzen + beats coffee lake in games next year

First time posting on LTT forums!

This is what us enthusiasts have been waiting for. Real competition. With Coffee Lake "released", and Ryzen sitting on the market for many months now, many enthusiasts finally have reason to upgrade. However, Coffee Lake chips (other than the i3 line) are completely sold out everywhere. If you're lucky, a chip goes for sale on eBay for upwards of $800, which in my opinion is ridiculous. I have all of the parts for my next build other than the CPU and the GPU. I ordered an ASUS ROG Strix Z370I mini itx board with hopes that the i7 would have come back in stock (though at the time the i5 8400 was still available). So far we have not had that luck. Should I return the board and go with an X370 Ryzen mini itx board and pop in an R7 1700 with a GTX 1080ti? Or is there a good change that things will be restocked soon?

Thanks everyone!

Just now, Max_Settings said:

Just wait for the 8700K. It's a beast. Fastest gaming CPU out there and only about 2-3% slower in most productivity than a R7 1800X

I was thinking about that. My only concern is that the chip becomes available close to the release of Ice Lake and I am no longer able to return the board (and Ice Lake will likely not work with the Z370 boards). 

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

Just wait for the 8700K. It's a beast. Fastest gaming CPU out there and only about 2-3% slower in most productivity than a R7 1800X

Majority of the people won't even need the 8 cores power of a 1800x. 

1 minute ago, CrippledROBOT said:

I was thinking about that. My only concern is that the chip becomes available close to the release of Ice Lake and I am no longer able to return the board (and Ice Lake will likely not work with the Z370 boards). 

It's not going to take that long. Ice Lake is a year away. Come on, they will be back in within a month.

2 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

then sell the board to other people if it's really that bad

Just now, Max_Settings said:

It's not going to take that long. Ice Lake is a year away. Come on, they will be back in within a month.

I've been hearing rumors that we may see it at Q1 2018. 

1 minute ago, Mi26 said:

then sell the board to other people if it's really that bad

That is a possibility, but just not ideal. My main machine right now is a Surface Pro 4. 

If you already have the parts, then you should probably wait for the Intel product to come back in stock. I doubt they'll forget to restock.

Ryzen still has better value, especially in Ryzen 5 1600 and Ryzen 7 1700 (and also currently Ryzen 3 1200 because cheaper Intel boards aren't available yet), and that B350 boards are so much cheaper, and you can overclock with less money spent. However, in sheer performance, the Intel Core i7-8700K is possibly the fastest mainstream CPU money can buy right now, especially after you overclock it.

Just now, Kavawuvi said:

If you already have the parts, then you should probably wait for the Intel product to come back in stock. I doubt they'll forget to restock.

Ryzen still has better value, especially in Ryzen 5 1600 and Ryzen 7 1700, and that B350 boards are so much cheaper. However, in sheer performance, the Intel Core i7-8700K is possibly the fastest mainstream CPU money can buy right now, especially after you overclock it.

That is VERY true. I'd love to go the Ryzen route, but I just can't pass up the opportunity to own such a killer CPU. 

Here's the bottom line.. if you're a gamer (yeah yeah multi-tasking ryzen bla bla bla), you need single threaded performance and higher clocks.  Coffee Lake has this.  Wait for cheaper boards, get yourself a nice i5 8400 or 8600K which are not that much more expensive than ryzen.. and boom you have higher FPS in games.  

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700k
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Crucial P1 1tb M.2 NVME BOOT DRIVE
Video Card: MSI RTX 2070 Super
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold 

Just now, nicolas2465 said:

Here's the bottom line.. if you're a gamer (yeah yeah multi-tasking ryzen bla bla bla), you need single threaded performance and higher clocks.  Coffee Lake has this.  Wait for cheaper boards, get yourself a nice i5 8400 or 8600K which are not that much more expensive than ryzen.. and boom you have higher FPS in games.  

Truth. However, despite searching high and low, I have not seen either chips for sale anywhere. Do you think they will become available (even for a short time) sometime this week?

Personally I was going to go for ryzen, but I can't bring myself to lower my FPS in games just to save a few dollars. And I don't need 12 threads, so I think I'm going to go for an i5.  Unless ryzen + beats coffee lake in games next year

1 minute ago, CrippledROBOT said:

Truth. However, despite searching high and low, I have not seen either chips for sale anywhere. Do you think they will become available (even for a short time) sometime this week?

I can't find them either here in Canada.  Honestly if you're going to be spending 100's or 1000's of dollars for a new PC, I'd say you can wait a week or two before getting your parts.  Unless the stock is nonexistent for a month or more??  Idk I doubt that

8 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

I've been hearing rumors that we may see it at Q1 2018. 

What? No. I mean entry level boards for Coffee Lake aren't even coming out until Q1 2018. For ice lake the earliest I heard was Q4 2018 at earliest depending on how quickly intel gets 10nm to work. 

Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo

3 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

Nevermind, I have found an 8400 at 3 stores in Canada, for 188 USD.

I can't find them either here in Canada.  Honestly if you're going to be spending 100's or 1000's of dollars for a new PC, I'd say you can wait a week or two before getting your parts.  Unless the stock is nonexistent for a month or more??  Idk I doubt that

True. It's a long story, but as I noted, I'm in a weird limbo between builds... I think I'll wait it out and if I get within the deadline for return, I'll pull the plug. 

1 minute ago, nicolas2465 said:

At this point I am seeing in-stock dates of the end of November at some online shops...so yes a month or more.

Nevermind, I have found an 8400 at 3 stores in Canada, for 188 USD.

Which ones?

Just now, AncientNerd said:

At this point I am seeing in-stock dates of the end of November at some online shops...so yes a month or more.

Which is really good to hear! However, I am in a weird predicament where I need a PC within about 3 weeks or so. Similarly, my board may fall out of the time slot for returns. But I think I am just going to try waiting it out! :)

Personally I went with Ryzen 1600. I acknowledged the loss of a few FPS (nothing too astronomical) for the possibility to do more multi-tasking when and if needed. I use my PC 99% for gaming, but I have the extra threads when they are needed (for example, a University society I am in needed to stream some competitive matches, and my machine was up to the task for this - if I went the i5 route, I wouldn’t even had the chance). 

Needless to say, all of this for a better price than Intel’s offerings. 

In conclusion, imo, it all depends how much value you put into those FPS numbers.

I prefer to have a system that is good all-around (for an affordable price). I am happy with my system pushing enough frames in eSports titles to fully enjoy my 144Hz monitor, but you might have different goals for your system. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

5 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

Which ones?

Actually they're on back order.. oops :P  Doesn't matter to me.  I'm upgrading next year anyway

Actually they're on back order.. oops :P  Doesn't matter to me.  I'm upgrading next year anyway

Fair enough! I'm going to take the risk and wait out this week. Keep a close eye on everything and hope for the best. Thanks!!