Raspberry pi as NAS

Le_haos

So I turned my raspberry pi to a low power nas, and I got 11MB/s max reading speed. I am wondering if this speed is about right 

Setup:

Raspberry Pi 3

WD 2tb my passport ultra

CAT6 from router to pi and router to pc

please let me know if my reading speed can be improved

The Pi3 only has a 100Mbit LAN so your connection is at max speed for wired.

If your router suppports the N standard for wifi you can get up to 300Mbit (depending on where everything is) so something around 30MB/s (theoretically).

Edit: I personally use a BananaPi for that, as it has 1gbit LAN and SATA port. more suitable as a NAS

The Raspberry Pi 3's ethernet and USB hub share the same controller -- on top of that, the Pi 3's built-in Ethernet is 100Mbit.... So even if you had 10Gbit networking the Raspberry Pi wouldn't be able to reach speeds faster than 100Mbit (12.5 megabytes) per second.

16 minutes ago, Le_haos said:

So I turned my raspberry pi to a low power nas, and I got 11MB/s max reading speed. I am wondering if this speed is about right 

Setup:

Raspberry Pi 3

WD 2tb my passport ultra

CAT6 from router to pi and router to pc

please let me know if my reading speed can be improved

I did a Raspberry PI NAS at home with a USB HDD and I can say it worked but the speeds were TERRIBLE. It was stable and all but a local storage, going at 12MB/s is very slow...

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

Go get an Orange Pi Plus or Banana Pi Pro, both have SATA ports and GigE network ports. The Orange Pi Plus has a much better CPU though if you plan on doing anything else besides network storage.

-KuJoe

that's sadly what makes the Pi unusable for a real storage solution.

if they made one with some SATA ports and a proper network interface it could be the best thing every for DIY NAS builds.

13 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

that's sadly what makes the Pi unusable for a real storage solution.

if they made one with some SATA ports and a proper network interface it could be the best thing every for DIY NAS builds.

The Banana Pi is basically a Rasberry Pi with a SATA port, so in a way the do make those.

4 hours ago, geo3 said:

The Banana Pi is basically a Rasberry Pi with a SATA port, so in a way the do make those.

The Banana Pi is by a different company and at a different price point. I would never recommend a Banana Pi to any user, it's just not worth it when there are other options like the Orange Pi Plus for the same price with better performance, even the NIC is significantly faster than the Banana Pi Pro.

For those interested in benchmarks: http://jmd.cc/devices/index.php

-KuJoe