PC Doesn't Start at all.

Right, I got the adapter today and plugged it in, yet again, the fan twitched and then stopped working. I think the processor may have broke. :(

On 10/15/2017 at 5:30 PM, CompleteNoobAtComputerHALP said:

This seriously doesn't fill me with confidence, i have taken a really crappy photo of the motherboard but im afraid i didn't take precautions for the body thingy, now you have said it, last night when i was taking it apart i kept shocking myself even though the power was off, this would happen after i had taken the motherboard out of the case and was putting it back together without the case, when i was touching the case and motherboard i would be shocked. I really hope this isn't the case...

I know, the cable management is brilliant.

WIN_20171015_16_23_32_Pro.jpg

Where's the GPU in that .-.

Also, an fx 6300 with a crappy nvidia 8400gs while you also got 16gb of ram? What..... Like how...... 

bottom left, and yeah... How much do you think I'll get for it as the cpu is probs gone now. Gonna try get an i7 7700k gtx 1050ti build.

31 minutes ago, iHDCool said:

Where's the GPU in that .-.

Also, an fx 6300 with a crappy nvidia 8400gs while you also got 16gb of ram? What..... Like how...... 

bottom left, and yeah... How much do you think I'll get for it as the cpu is probs gone now. Gonna try get an i7 7700k gtx 1050ti build.

Some systems have two power connectors instead of one and it's easy to overlook connecting one of them.

1 hour ago, CompleteNoobAtComputerHALP said:

Lol.... Keep the RAM and any part that can come in handy, and also gtx 1050ti and i7 7700k is hella fucking unbalanced.... Like jesus... 7700k is high end and it needs like a 1080/1070... GTX 1050ti isn't powerful enough. + If you want the 7700k you have to change the motherboard too... So what you can do, is get another AMD cpu with AM3+ socket because that's what your mobo supports. If you want to swap to intel (I would xD ) you need to change mobo too... And in most cases, even RAM will have to be bought new... Saying that because when I check out RAM in amazon/ebay it specifies if its for AMD board or Intel Board. So do more searching before jumping on conclusions like your new pc wish. 

2 hours ago, iHDCool said:

Lol.... Keep the RAM and any part that can come in handy, and also gtx 1050ti and i7 7700k is hella fucking unbalanced.... Like jesus... 7700k is high end and it needs like a 1080/1070... GTX 1050ti isn't powerful enough. + If you want the 7700k you have to change the motherboard too... So what you can do, is get another AMD cpu with AM3+ socket because that's what your mobo supports. If you want to swap to intel (I would xD ) you need to change mobo too... And in most cases, even RAM will have to be bought new... Saying that because when I check out RAM in amazon/ebay it specifies if its for AMD board or Intel Board. So do more searching before jumping on conclusions like your new pc wish. 

Ok, just got a bit scared as realised my CPU is probably fried and so won't get much money for it, what would you recommend to pair with a gtx 1050ti

3 hours ago, johnukguy said:

Some systems have two power connectors instead of one and it's easy to overlook connecting one of them.

I don't really understand what you mean... I have put a picture of my board on here (somewhere).Would you like a board name or PSU name to find out? I'm going on holiday pretty soon to Spain ( Friday ) and my parents say if I haven't fixed it a week after we get back then we're taking it to a computer shop, but I don't want to do that as:

• It's expensive and I want to spend that money on upgrading
  • If the CPU is fried, i'll get charged for nothing
  • My step-dad will be proven right.

I have got an adapter (looks pretty cheaply made) to connect a wire with 4 pins in a straight line and a 2 by 2 pin wire to make an 8-pin cpu wire, but when I plug this in the fan twitches, the hard drive makes a tiny noise and then it all stops working until I reset the CMOS again.

Thanks for your help

Wezley

Dont take it to the computer store i feel like at least 80% of them are total rip offs. I worked in an honest store and what i heard from costumers what other stores for example charge for nothing in some cases or unnecessary replacements is ridiculous.  So what @iHDCool  is suggesting is mostly right in my opinion. Maybe your parents can give you a "credit" for new PC because fixing this mess of a PC is not worth it even if someone would do it for free(working h). And taking it to the store will just waste more money you could spend on a new system. For like 500 dollar you can build a suitable budget gaming pc but sadly atm im not quite sure if this is enough because especially ram prices are crazy atm. Maybe you can get some money out of the working ram sticks of your current mess by selling them wont be much but might help. And you can most likely reuse your dvd and hard drive and maybe that ugly case. For graphics card a 1050ti isnt the worst choice but pair it with a reasonable cpu I7 7700k makes really no sense you would  need 300+ for the cpu and 100+ at least for motherboard . Look for some i5 maybe you also dont realy need a K chip when you dont have so much money because you would need more than the K to overclock it you also need a special motherboard and those are more expensive. But being no expert at current budget gaming pc let some other people give you suggestions on what you should get at your budget what ever that might be.   

1 hour ago, johnukguy said:

Hi, do you mean the 24 pin and the 8-pin as I have them both connected

1 hour ago, johnukguy said:

There are two power connectors on that board. It really sounds like one of them isn't connected. The manual is here and shows where they both are and how to install everything.

http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/970 Extreme4.pdf

8 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

Dont take it to the computer store i feel like at least 80% of them are total rip offs. I worked in an honest store and what i heard from costumers what other stores for example charge for nothing in some cases or unnecessary replacements is ridiculous.  So what @iHDCool  is suggesting is mostly right in my opinion. Maybe your parents can give you a "credit" for new PC because fixing this mess of a PC is not worth it even if someone would do it for free(working h). And taking it to the store will just waste more money you could spend on a new system. For like 500 dollar you can build a suitable budget gaming pc but sadly atm im not quite sure if this is enough because especially ram prices are crazy atm. Maybe you can get some money out of the working ram sticks of your current mess by selling them wont be much but might help. And you can most likely reuse your dvd and hard drive and maybe that ugly case. For graphics card a 1050ti isnt the worst choice but pair it with a reasonable cpu I7 7700k makes really no sense you would  need 300+ for the cpu and 100+ at least for motherboard . Look for some i5 maybe you also dont realy need a K chip when you dont have so much money because you would need more than the K to overclock it you also need a special motherboard and those are more expensive. But being no expert at current budget gaming pc let some other people give you suggestions on what you should get at your budget what ever that might be.   

The problem is that they seemed to think it was a great system and paid £200 for it last year(christmas). They've been against me trying to fix anything and don't understand why I would possibly want to upgrade, can you explain it in non-techy boring old adult words.

Thanks

Wez

Just a hunch but did you connect the cpu fan to the correct connector? It should be connected to the cpu1 header. That's the farthest right connector above the cpu,

14 hours ago, Klemmbrett said:

Word... I took my pc to the pc shop for them to clean it off, they didn't clean shit, charged me and I realized it a few days later... My advise is to do everything yourself but before doing something do alot of research because that's how you learn. Re-check the power cables on the mobo, that's like the most annoying thing imo. I personally have a Core 2 Quad Q9650 3Ghz paired with GTX 1050 ti msi 4gb with 4gb of ddr3. Yeh... the core 2 quad is LGA 775 socket old af i know but... It's doing well, although more power on the cpu would be great. The problem with your PC is that if you want to get a new CPU if it's fried, either get the same cpu u had but a working one, the fx 6300, and the gpu and then you're set, or if you want to switch to a new cpu, you have to change mobo, buy new gpu and probably the RAM too... So the most logical solution if you're in a tight budget too, is to get yourself a new gpu and a new/working fx 6300 so you wont have to spend more on anything else. Also make sure that your PSU is at least 300W, don't know how much power the fx 6300 draws but you need at least 75w on the gtx 1050ti (if thats your choice) 

1 hour ago, iHDCool said:

Word... I took my pc to the pc shop for them to clean it off, they didn't clean shit, charged me and I realized it a few days later... My advise is to do everything yourself but before doing something do alot of research because that's how you learn. Re-check the power cables on the mobo, that's like the most annoying thing imo. I personally have a Core 2 Quad Q9650 3Ghz paired with GTX 1050 ti msi 4gb with 4gb of ddr3. Yeh... the core 2 quad is LGA 775 socket old af i know but... It's doing well, although more power on the cpu would be great. The problem with your PC is that if you want to get a new CPU if it's fried, either get the same cpu u had but a working one, the fx 6300, and the gpu and then you're set, or if you want to switch to a new cpu, you have to change mobo, buy new gpu and probably the RAM too... So the most logical solution if you're in a tight budget too, is to get yourself a new gpu and a new/working fx 6300 so you wont have to spend more on anything else. Also make sure that your PSU is at least 300W, don't know how much power the fx 6300 draws but you need at least 75w on the gtx 1050ti (if thats your choice) 

750w power supply, thanks for the advice!

10 hours ago, SymbioTech said:

Just a hunch but did you connect the cpu fan to the correct connector? It should be connected to the cpu1 header. That's the farthest right connector above the cpu,

Yep, but thanks for the feedback!

I'm still having trouble convincing them, is there any way to check if a CPU is fried other than trying to turn it on, I have no other computers so I can't just plug it into something else. It's like £40 for  a used fx 6300 on eBay and its £40 for the computer shop to tell me that it's fried and they can't do anything but will charge me anyway. I can now reply to anything pretty quickly and if you point me in the right direction I can research again now. Would the fx 6300 run PUBG and/or destiny 2? Would it even run Minecraft at decent settings at least?

Thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, CompleteNoobAtComputerHALP said:

Would the fx 6300 run PUBG and/or destiny 2?

I would most likely say no PUBG is still under development and not optimized at all so even pretty kick ass computers dont get awesome frame rates there. destiny 2 i dont know maybe with potato graphics but also i would say most likely no.  Minecraft mmh maybe but really thats a potato computer what you have even if it would work. If you really want to game a bit with decent graphics and not 10+ year old games you need a decent PC. On your current system there is also no upgrade path. So just get a new one and if you have no money go earn some my first pc i build was earned by myself delivering newspapers at the age of 12. Not sure which country your living but im sure non mature people can still get a small job to earn some money. 

Thanks,

What processor would you recommend to pair with a gtx 1050ti and my am3 socket motherboard. I have been looking at the fx 8150, is that much more of an upgrade to the fx 6300?

Just now, CompleteNoobAtComputerHALP said:

Thanks,

What processor would you recommend to pair with a gtx 1050ti and my am3 socket motherboard. I have been looking at the fx 8150, is that much more of an upgrade to the fx 6300?

My parents are still hellbent on me taking it to the shop and seeing what is wrong and then buying the part to replace it as they don't understand how I know it is the CPU at fault, is there any way I can prove this?

Thanks in advance

There is... You try all the components on a different pc with a working CPU and prove to them that the CPU alone doesn't work. 

The CPU difference, overall, the 8150 has 2 more cores wich is good, but it requires more power, 125 tdp aprox comparing to 95w that fx 6300 needed. It's better tho

Same socket too 

http://www.game-debate.com/cpu/index.php?pid=790&pid2=1146&compare=AMD FX-8150-vs-AMD FX-6300

That should give you an idea.