Why You No Work?!

Go to solution Solved by Dissitesuxba11s,

Final Update:

RMA-ed my motherboard. Came back and the plastic that held the backplate is not there anymore. Everything is working now. The ASUS Repair Report reads...

Problem/Symptom:                                                          Action

Cannot boot up/power is on (FF/00)                                  Sendback to another party for repair

Cannot boot up/power is on (FF/00)                                  TAT OVERDUE - Parts Shortage

Replaced Part(s):

[90MB0SC0-M0XCN0] CROSSHAIR VI HERO

Also, it came back in just a regular box and not the motherboard box. Where is my motherboard box and ROG stickers ASUS!

Hello everyone,

I was finally able to get some time to put together my PC which consists of:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700

Mobo: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero

CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Spire, switching to EKWB Supremacy EVO once it arrives.

GPU: GTX 980 Hydro Copper

PSU: Corsair RM850x

After getting it all put together, and making sure there are no leaks in the watercooling parts, it won't POST. On the motherboard I am getting an error code 8; not 08, just 8 then nothing in the second digit.

What I've done to trouble shoot:

-Re-seated the CPU, cleaning and reapplying thermal paste every time. Done this three times now.

-Re-seated the mobo in case it was a grounding issue.

-Tried to turn on with one RAM on each slot.

-Took it all out of the case, put it on the motherboard box.

-Turned on the mobo by itself with no RAM, and no CPU.

-Updated BIOS (via BIOS Flashback) to 1701.

-Cleared CMOS, and updated the BIOS again. (Not sure if this did anything).

After all this was done, it still showing error code 8, and no other error code has come up. I'm not fully sure which is causing the issue, CPU or motherboard. Google searches state it is a CPU issue, so if that is the case should I RMA the CPU, or is this a motherboard issue, in which case, should I RMA the mobo?

Hopefully somebody can help me on this. I would like RMA-ing to be the last resort. Any help is appreciated.

12 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Hello everyone,

I was finally able to get some time to put together my PC which consists of:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700

Mobo: ASUS Crosshair VI Hero

CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Spire, switching to EKWB Supremacy EVO once it arrives.

GPU: GTX 980 Hydro Copper

PSU: Corsair RM850x

After getting it all put together, and making sure there are no leaks in the watercooling parts, it won't POST. On the motherboard I am getting an error code 8; not 08, just 8 then nothing in the second digit.

What I've done to trouble shoot:

-Re-seated the CPU, cleaning and reapplying thermal paste every time. Done this three times now.

-Re-seated the mobo in case it was a grounding issue.

-Tried to turn on with one RAM on each slot.

-Took it all out of the case, put it on the motherboard box.

-Turned on the mobo by itself with no RAM, and no CPU.

-Updated BIOS (via BIOS Flashback) to 1701.

-Cleared CMOS, and updated the BIOS again. (Not sure if this did anything).

After all this was done, it still showing error code 8, and no other error code has come up. I'm not fully sure which is causing the issue, CPU or motherboard. Google searches state it is a CPU issue, so if that is the case should I RMA the CPU, or is this a motherboard issue, in which case, should I RMA the mobo?

Hopefully somebody can help me on this. I would like RMA-ing to be the last resort. Any help is appreciated.

Wiring, is the first thing you want to check, check and see if the CPU power wire is even connected to the mobo, work from there 

Have you tried contacting Asus support? It seems like quite a few people have this issue, though mostly earlier on.

Something you could try is going back a BIOS version. Sometimes the previous ones are more stable.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

My own build: RΛZΞR theme

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Video Card: MSI Armor gtx 1070 OC 8GB // RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz //  

SSD: Samsung EVO 960 500GB // HDD: 2x WD yellow edition 2TB //

Case: NZXT H440 RAZER edition // Power Supply: Corsair RM550x //         

Operating Software: Windows 10 pro 64-bit

2 minutes ago, Haeking said:

Wiring, is the first thing you want to check, check and see if the CPU power wire is even connected to the mobo, work from there 

I imagine he/she/it has already tried that, given the other measures they've gone to, and the fact they built a cooling loop...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

I imagine he/she/it has already tried that, given the other measures they've gone to, and the fact they built a cooling loop...

I have the same motherboard, some people forget that wires being loose are usually the cause, if not then if OP just hits the black button on the mobo then the red when he boots it should start to display and post, and if not the white I believe resets the mobo bios back to original 

21 minutes ago, Haeking said:

Wiring

Wiring has been double checked every time.

19 minutes ago, Walt said:

Can this other topic help? 

I've looked into that forum as well. I'm using the stock backplate.

19 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Asus support? 

Going back a BIOS version.

I will try the previous BIOS versions and give an update on that, I'll contact Asus after.

SIDE NOTE: POST 100!!!!

2 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

I will try the previous BIOS versions and give an update on that, I'll contact Asus after.

SIDE NOTE: POST 100!!!!

Congrats and good luck!

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

Update:

I used the previous BIOS versions from oldest to newest listed below.

I held the CLR CMOS button for 5 seconds before installing each BIOS version. No luck, still error code 8.

I did see on an old forum that it might be the heatsink putting too much pressure on the CPU, so I tried running it with the heatsink (Wraith Spire) sitting on top of the CPU without the screws tightened. No luck with that either.

Not sure if this is an issue, but whenever I unlatch the retention arm from the CPU, it makes loud click.

If anyone else has any other suggestions, feel free to reply. For now, I'm going to contact Asus about the issue.

Thank you for the help.

Update for posterity's sake.

I talked to Asus and they said that it might be my RAM that's causing the problem. I have the G. Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (F4-3200C14D-16GTZR) kit. I have seen reviews, and even users from this forum that have used it on an Asus Crosshair VI Hero, so I'm sticking with them. Plus, they're RGB!

They've also suggested taking out the motherboard battery to clear the CMOS and waiting 10 seconds. Upon doing that, it's still showing the error code 8.

I will most likely have to RMA it. Oh well. Hope the next one works.

More updates on this.

Found out my friend had a Ryzen build, and tested out his parts with mine. 

-With his RAM, it still showing error code 8.

-With his CPU and RAM, still error code 8.

-My CPU on his setup, it works.

So just from the process of elimination, it is most like my motherboard that's bad. I will be RMA-ing it soon. Hope the next one works.

• 4 weeks later...

Final Update:

RMA-ed my motherboard. Came back and the plastic that held the backplate is not there anymore. Everything is working now. The ASUS Repair Report reads...

Problem/Symptom:                                                          Action

Cannot boot up/power is on (FF/00)                                  Sendback to another party for repair

Cannot boot up/power is on (FF/00)                                  TAT OVERDUE - Parts Shortage

Replaced Part(s):

[90MB0SC0-M0XCN0] CROSSHAIR VI HERO

Also, it came back in just a regular box and not the motherboard box. Where is my motherboard box and ROG stickers ASUS!