Computer shut off and won't post

Kd4lif3
Go to solution Solved by Rolling Potatoe,

Best case scenario the atx cable or something isnt quite all the way in after the cable managing.

If fiddling around doesnt help you could buy a psu and mobo from somewhere with good return policies

and free return shipping for troubleshooting (screw amazon, they have enough cash anyway).

I was just absorbing some content on World Wide Web when my comedic relief turned sour. At first I thought I tripped a breaker but after the initial shock of a black screen my computer restarted... partially. My system shut off as if I hit the reboot button and then started back up but my gpu leds are off as well as my exaust fans. My water block leds still work and my CPU fans are running. I have a h100i which has its fans powered by USB so I am thinking this might be a mobo situation. The white power led indicating power supply on my gpu is on. My screen is not even getting a signal at all on I gpu or gpu. The mobo is displaying the normal green pwr light but the white strip along the back is off.

idk what's up. Imm kinda panicking cause I can't afford a new mobo rn. I should note that I was just doing some cable management today but I don't see what that would have to do with anything. I also lost a screw but I doubt it's stuck vertically to the mobo. I also found a penny sized spot of corosion on the traces on the back of my mobo but that's months old (cause still unknown). I'll post some pictures so you can get an idea of the situation.

52922279242__DC2EA404-3842-4DE7-98C3-C72308D2F05F.MOV

my specs are as followed: mobo: Asus z170-a, CPU: 6600k, GPU: strix 1070 oc, Ram: 8gb 2133 2x4

Incase the video didn't work...image.thumb.jpg.aad14090fb545a13ff4be2c756017689.jpg

So it looks like the pc is still powering my keyboard over USB which it sometimes does when sleeping or even shut off. 

image.thumb.jpg.31ae16b5bd1bc28f1371b9f54d18d58d.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.c6cf0f0c8cf57b7d2b97948586772f2e.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.f467eb0f6cd74ec0a2656eb33c7e65fc.jpg 

Breadboard it, remove everything except the cooler, do a cmos reset, connect a mobo speaker or what have you and then start adding components and try it out.

You should also try out another gpu and psu if you have one or at least try another pcie slot.

Just now, Rolling Potatoe said:

Breadboard it, remove everything except the cooler, do a cmos reset, connect a mobo speaker or what have you and then start adding components and try it out.

You should also try out another gpu and psu if you have one 

I'll try that. I just reseated my CPU but now I don't even get power led. I don't have another psu but I'll do the pin trick and see what I get

Best case scenario the atx cable or something isnt quite all the way in after the cable managing.

If fiddling around doesnt help you could buy a psu and mobo from somewhere with good return policies

and free return shipping for troubleshooting (screw amazon, they have enough cash anyway).

3 minutes ago, Rolling Potatoe said:

Ya the psu is fine. Imma build outside the case and see if i can see what's up. I got the mobo from ncix so maby linus can hook me up (lol). 

23 minutes ago, Rolling Potatoe said:

I go to post led but no out put. Probs because my video output is set to pcie only in bios which I can't switch rn. I'll try the gpuIMG_4478.thumb.JPG.d80b831a52c97c940ad36b23ae99aec4.JPG

12 hours ago, Rolling Potatoe said:

ya must have been cmos. i reset it and now we are all good.