New build for gaming, streaming, editing

Since this is fairly personal I made a new thread. I'm looking for a bang for my buck gaming pc that will play at high resolution on ultra settings on games like Overwatch, Dark souls and run heavy games like Crysis fairly well. I also want to be able to edit video and I plan on streaming. What would you recommend for CPU, motherboard, graphics card, power supply. I'm barley entering the world of computers and I want to make sure I get the best I can get without needing to break the bank. Also when i said bang for my buck I don't mean cheap or budget, I meant something that's worth the money I put into it. On a final note I plan on using the NZXT S340 elite case (I like the shiny tempered glass panel :D)

*Edit*: I also want to know if AMD or Intel is the better choice.

Right now Intel just released there new 8th generation CPUs and for what you plan to use your pc for I think you should go for the i7-8700k you could go for a Ryzen but the i7-8700k has MUCH better single core performance which helps when gaming, if you need more cores/threads you might want a Ryzen 7 (I don't really remember the different ones).

For a graphics card, I would recommend either a Geforce GTX 1080 or 1080Ti they aren't the best bang for the buck but they will run even heavier titles on ultra. If you want more bang for your buck I would recommend a 1060 6GB or a 1070, personally, I don't feel like the AMD cards are worth it right now. for the PSU it doesn't really matter as long as you get it from a reputable brand like Corsair, EVGA, Be Quite, Thermaltake. Don't buy try and get a super cheap PSU because a bad quality PSU can cause damage to other parts, I don't think you will need more than 550Watts if you're just running 1 Graphics card maybe 650Watts, I recommend getting at least a 80+ Gold PSU. for the motherboard I personally really like Asus's new board and would recommend either a Z370-F or basically anything from there Z370 lineup (You NEED a Z370 motherboard for the 8th gen intel chips and Z370 is only for them, if you are getting a different CPU make sure it works with your motherboard!). For the case the S340 Elite is a good case, if you want to put a bit more money I would recommend a H440 but cases are mainly personal preference most of the time. Also for a HDD/SSD I recommend getting a SSD for OS and a couple of games/programs and HDD for files, I really recommend something like the Samsung 850 EVO for SSD (If you're going Sata and not NVMe which I don't recommend because it's not really worth it rn) and for a HDD just a Barracuda unless you want something that performs really well in which case I would go for like WD blacks but I don't think they are worth the extra price.

(If anyone thinks I choose something bad, I haven't been doing this too much but I like to think I know at least a little bit about this stuff)

PC Specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700k @ 4.7GHz Turbo

Motherboard: Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC) LGA1551 (300 Series)

RAM: 2x8GB Trident Z RGB DDR4-3200MHz

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080

SDD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

HDD:  Seagate Barracuda 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM650x

Cooling: Corsair H115i Pro RGB

Main Display: Dell S2417DG 1440p 144/165Hz G-Sync (2560x1440)

Secondary Displays: 2 x Dell P2312H 1080p 60Hz (1920x1080)

Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum

Mouse: Logitech G703 Lightspeed Wireless Gaming Mouse

Headset: Massdrop x Sennheiser PC37X Headset

Thanks for you reply, like I said I don't know much so it'll take me a while to comprehend. Quick question though, would these parts still be compatible with the S340 elite?

21 minutes ago, epic_ziver_D said:

Right now Intel just released there new 8th generation CPUs and for what you plan to use your pc for I think you should go for the i7-8700k you could go for a Ryzen but the i7-8700k has MUCH better single core performance which helps when gaming, if you need more cores/threads you might want a Ryzen 7 (I don't really remember the different ones).

For a graphics card, I would recommend either a Geforce GTX 1080 or 1080Ti they aren't the best bang for the buck but they will run even heavier titles on ultra. If you want more bang for your buck I would recommend a 1060 6GB or a 1070, personally, I don't feel like the AMD cards are worth it right now. for the PSU it doesn't really matter as long as you get it from a reputable brand like Corsair, EVGA, Be Quite, Thermaltake. Don't buy try and get a super cheap PSU because a bad quality PSU can cause damage to other parts, I don't think you will need more than 550Watts if you're just running 1 Graphics card maybe 650Watts, I recommend getting at least a 80+ Gold PSU. for the motherboard I personally really like Asus's new board and would recommend either a Z370-F or basically anything from there Z370 lineup (You NEED a Z370 motherboard for the 8th gen intel chips and Z370 is only for them, if you are getting a different CPU make sure it works with your motherboard!). For the case the S340 Elite is a good case, if you want to put a bit more money I would recommend a H440 but cases are mainly personal preference most of the time. Also for a HDD/SSD I recommend getting a SSD for OS and a couple of games/programs and HDD for files, I really recommend something like the Samsung 850 EVO for SSD (If you're going Sata and not NVMe which I don't recommend because it's not really worth it rn) and for a HDD just a Barracuda unless you want something that performs really well in which case I would go for like WD blacks but I don't think they are worth the extra price.

(If anyone thinks I choose something bad, I haven't been doing this too much but I like to think I know at least a little bit about this stuff)

Thanks for you reply, like I said I don't know much so it'll take me a while to comprehend. Quick question though, would these parts still be compatible with the S340 elite?

As it turns out the Z370-F is not compatible with the i7-8700k nor is does the CPU even have a listed price. These are the Z370 Asus motherboards that are compatible.

Untitled.png

26 minutes ago, Boogster said:

As it turns out the Z370-F is not compatible with the i7-8700k nor is does the CPU even have a listed price. These are the Z370 Asus motherboards that are compatible.

Untitled.png

The Z370-F isn't listed on pcpartpicker yet but the Z370-E is very similar I am getting a Maximus X Hero because I will probably be ocing in the future which it is good at (I also like the board in general but Z370-E is good H is also nice Prime-A is ok). All the parts I recommended should work with the S340 Elite. PSU I can recommend a Corsair RMx but if you see something cheaper from a good brand take it. You might have some problems getting a 8700k depends on where you live but stocks should settle soon.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, epic_ziver_D said:

The Z370-F isn't listed on pcpartpicker yet but the Z370-E is very similar I am getting a Maximus X Hero because I will probably be ocing in the future which it is good at (I also like the board in general but Z370-E is good H is also nice Prime-A is ok). All the parts I recommended should work with the S340 Elite. PSU I can recommend a Corsair RMx but if you see something cheaper from a good brand take it. You might have some problems getting a 8700k depends on where you live but stocks should settle soon.

What about a cpu cooler? I'm thinking a liquid cooler like the kraken x62.

Edited by Boogster

30 minutes ago, epic_ziver_D said:

I looked around a bit and I made this list, what do you think? Also may as well say that the aesthetic is RGB so that's why the fans are as such and i picked that model of cpu cooler. Am I missing anything? Should i change something?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qRD7tJ

3 hours ago, Boogster said:

I looked around a bit and I made this list, what do you think? Also may as well say that the aesthetic is RGB so that's why the fans are as such and i picked that model of cpu cooler. Am I missing anything? Should i change something?

First of all notice, the build is over 2k without the PSU (also 650 watts will be more than enough for you the only reason people need more than that is if they are running SLI or Crossfire). If you want to get a bit cheaper as I said a Seagate Barracuda is a good drive (it is slower than WD blacks but fast than WD blues) so unless you plan to have stuff that need fast loading on the HDD you could get a barracuda (being you have a SSD which has enough room for anything you need to be fast) as you can see here http://hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/WD-Black-2TB-2013-vs-Seagate-Barracuda-2TB-2016/1821vs3897 the barracuda has much more value than the 2tb wd blacks which are from 2013 and even more value than the 2016 4tb ones so don't get blacks unless you need the speed, you can get at least double the capacity in barracuda, if you aren't transferring a lot of files or playing games which are super heavy where load times are huge and you want to reduce them. Also, the CPU cooler is good but do you plan to overclock? if not you can get a air cooler and it should be just fine and if you get a good one it should still be able to fully turbo-boost (like a Noctua NH-D14 or NH-D15) but if you are overclocking then you should get a AIO. Also if you are interested in using your SSD for more then 5 years you could add a bit more money and get the 850 Pro which has extra warranty and is a tiny bit fast (Only if you plan on using your drive for a while so you won't have problems.) Other than that I think the build is ok if you want ill check with someone else I know tmr.

Edit: you can get a AIO just for the looks if you want. but not really recommended

PC Specs:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Boogster said:

Nice build. If you don't already own the be Quiet! psu, I would suggest getting SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650 Gold instead.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

4 hours ago, epic_ziver_D said:

First of all notice, the build is over 2k without the PSU (also 650 watts will be more than enough for you the only reason people need more than that is if they are running SLI or Crossfire). If you want to get a bit cheaper as I said a Seagate Barracuda is a good drive (it is slower than WD blacks but fast than WD blues) so unless you plan to have stuff that need fast loading on the HDD you could get a barracuda (being you have a SSD which has enough room for anything you need to be fast) as you can see here http://hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/WD-Black-2TB-2013-vs-Seagate-Barracuda-2TB-2016/1821vs3897 the barracuda has much more value than the 2tb wd blacks which are from 2013 and even more value than the 2016 4tb ones so don't get blacks unless you need the speed, you can get at least double the capacity in barracuda, if you aren't transferring a lot of files or playing games which are super heavy where load times are huge and you want to reduce them. Also, the CPU cooler is good but do you plan to overclock? if not you can get a air cooler and it should be just fine and if you get a good one it should still be able to fully turbo-boost (like a Noctua NH-D14 or NH-D15) but if you are overclocking then you should get a AIO. Also if you are interested in using your SSD for more then 5 years you could add a bit more money and get the 850 Pro which has extra warranty and is a tiny bit fast (Only if you plan on using your drive for a while so you won't have problems.) Other than that I think the build is ok if you want ill check with someone else I know tmr.

Edit: you can get a AIO just for the looks if you want. but not really recommended

I agree on the HDD and I still plan on using the NZXT liquid cooler since it fits better with the case. Plus I don't plan on using the ssd for more than 5 years since I'll probably upgrade by then seeing as how gaming is rapidly upgrading graphics.

What do you think of this power supply: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/y88H99/evga-supernova-g3-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0650

This HDD?: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CbL7YJ/seagate-barracuda-2tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st2000dm006

This ssd?: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/v3fp99/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz7ke512bw

I took out about 100 dollars by following your suggestion

18 hours ago, Boogster said:

I agree on the HDD and I still plan on using the NZXT liquid cooler since it fits better with the case. Plus I don't plan on using the ssd for more than 5 years since I'll probably upgrade by then seeing as how gaming is rapidly upgrading graphics.

What do you think of this power supply: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/y88H99/evga-supernova-g3-650w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-220-g3-0650

This HDD?: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CbL7YJ/seagate-barracuda-2tb-35-7200rpm-internal-hard-drive-st2000dm006

This ssd?: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/v3fp99/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz7ke512bw

I took out about 100 dollars by following your suggestion

The psu is good. So is the HDD. But notice you picked out the 850 Pro and said you aren't planning on using it long in which case I would recommend a 850 Evo other than that I'll ask a friend what he thinks in case I forgot something and I'll post another reply

EDIT: The build I would recommend is https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F8gqCy I'm waiting for someone to tell me what he thinks.

PC Specs:

Spoiler

Ok he told me he thinks its good but when buying stuff make sure you compare full price (Taxes, Shipping and sometimes import fees) so you get better prices. I think this build should be very good for anything you're planning on using it for and should last at least till you decide to replace it/parts of it. (The link again: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F8gqCy). If you need anything else I will be happy to help :D

PC Specs:

Spoiler

14 minutes ago, epic_ziver_D said:

Ok he told me he thinks its good but when buying stuff make sure you compare full price (Taxes, Shipping and sometimes import fees) so you get better prices. I think this build should be very good for anything you're planning on using it for and should last at least till you decide to replace it/parts of it. (The link again: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/F8gqCy). If you need anything else I will be happy to help :D

Don't worry I'll be comparing multiple prices from different retailers to get the lowest possible price. To put the nail in the coffin can you recommend some RGB case fans? I'm thinking something like this. (I need four, two to put in front of radiator, one in back, and one on top)

Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DJyxFT/nzxt-aer-rgb140-716-cfm-140mm-fan-rf-ar140-b1

Plus how i will control them: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wkJkcf/nzxt-hue-rgb-colour-changing-internal-led-controller

48 minutes ago, Boogster said:

Don't worry I'll be comparing multiple prices from different retailers to get the lowest possible price. To put the nail in the coffin can you recommend some RGB case fans? I'm thinking something like this. (I need four, two to put in front of radiator, one in back, and one on top)

Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DJyxFT/nzxt-aer-rgb140-716-cfm-140mm-fan-rf-ar140-b1

Plus how i will control them: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wkJkcf/nzxt-hue-rgb-colour-changing-internal-led-controller

Presuming the ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming motherboard, one could use the motherboard to control Aura Sync compatible fans.

For radiator: 2 x Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 140 Air Pressure RGB

For top: 1 x Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 140 Air Flow RGB

For rear: 1 x Cooler Master MasterFan Pro 120 Air Flow RGB

1 minute ago, lee32uk said:

Have a look at the Phanteks Halos Fan frames as well. You can use any 120mm/140mm fan with them.

http://www.phanteks.com/Halos.html

Thanks but I think I'll use the ones in the comment above about the ASUS aura compatible ones.

10 minutes ago, Boogster said:

Thanks but I think I'll use the ones in the comment above about the ASUS aura compatible ones.

The Halo is a fan frame and is Aura Sync compatible. See http://www.phanteks.com/HalosLux.html

17 hours ago, Boogster said:

@epic_ziver_D Does it matter if I switch the graphics card for the asus aura compatible one? Since it's still a 1080Ti it shouldn't be too big of an issue right?

Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Z8cMnQ/asus-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-11gb-video-card-strix-gtx1080ti-o11g-gaming

No problem at all, you might even get better temps thanks to the 3rd fan. EDIT: (From what I know the diffrent companies can only affect the size and cooling of card (and clock speed but dosen't rly matter))

Edited by epic_ziver_D

PC Specs:

Spoiler