Raspberry Pi Audio Jack interference

Hey,

So Yesterday I dusted off my old Raspi 2 Model B and installed shairport to use it as an airplay server for my speakers. Everything seems to work fin except the sound quality is horrible and there is lots and lots of noise and squeaking. Do I just have a bad unit? Is there anything that can be done on the software-side? I've read about the first gen raspis having problems with the audio jack being too close to the power delivery or something but thought that was fixed in the first revision. I also don't think an external dac will fix this as its just horrible sound quality.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

As far as I know it is combined audio+composite video jack. You might be getting noise from the video part, can you try to disable video output and check? (It should be possible to disable it thou software). And external DAC would help you (it would eliminate the noise, as the digital audio has is noise resistant and it might get noisy after or during the conversion to analog - that is what DAC do :) , so if you get a decent one you should be fine. But it will probably cost you more then the Pi :/)

16 minutes ago, lastlich said:

As far as I know it is combined audio+composite video jack. You might be getting noise from the video part, can you try to disable video output and check? (It should be possible to disable it thou software). And external DAC would help you (it would eliminate the noise, as the digital audio has is noise resistant and it might get noisy after or during the conversion to analog - that is what DAC do :) , so if you get a decent one you should be fine. But it will probably cost you more then the Pi :/)

Thanks for your reply! I have tried forcing audio only through it and it doesn't change :(  I have also read up further and it seems to be a general problem with the raspi that the headphone jack is just shit... I will try forcing audio over the hdmi connection as that is said to be better quality.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido