Console to Pc

Go to solution Solved by Jade,
50 minutes ago, BloodyWaters said:

They sell larger keyboards if you have trouble pressing the keys. Using a mouse takes some getting used to but it is a skill that comes with practice, so play some games and practice using it. 

A technique I used to play with a mouse is to move your character around, but try to keep your crosshairs on a still object. It is a good way to practice. I would also mess with the sensitivity of the mouse to get it to a comfortable setting. 

Bunnyhopping and KZing on CSS or CSGO can be a pretty good way to get used to handling your mouse and keyboard. Just a suggestion, of course.

OP: I'd try picking up a decent mouse and keyboard -- nothing too fancy, but poorly designed keyboards definitely make it rougher to get used to. I'll put my suggestions below

Mice - given you're playing FPS games, you'll need a mouse with a decent sensor; ordered by price. Determine what "style" of grip you have with Popular-Grip-Styles.jpg:

1. Logitech G402 - $33 on Amazon or Newegg. - good for most styles of grip.
  2. Zowie EC-A - $60 on Amazon - good for palm grips.
  3. Zowie FK - $60 on Amazon. - good for claw grips.
  4. Logitech G502 - $60 on Amazon, $61 on Newegg - good for claw grips; my favorite mouse by far but a little on the heavy side.
  5. Steelseries Rival - $60 on Amazon or Newegg
  6. Zowie ZA - $75 on Amazon, $82 on Newegg - Good for palm grips, multiple sizes available.

Honorable mentions:

• Logitech G602 - Seen pretty often on sale for around $35 wireless with great battery life, good for palm grips. Decent sensor. On the heavy side, given battery.
  • Razer DeathAdder - great mouse, questionable quality control.

Keyboards:

1. MS Keyboard 200 - $12 on Amazon or $15 on Newegg - also cheap, not flashy.
  2. MS Keyboard 600 - $12 on Amazon or $20 on Newegg - Cheap, not flashy, has media keys.
  3. Logitech K120 - $14 on Amazon or $18 on Newegg. - definitely on the cheap side, nothing special, widely available.
  4. Monoprice Mechanical Keyboard - $60 on Monoprice or $77 on Amazon. - only offered in blue switches. Not many frills.
  5. Quickfire Rapid  - $85 on Amazon or $80 on Newegg - Available in Cherry blues, browns, blacks, and reds.
  6. Quickfire TK - $90 on Amazon or $100 on Newegg - No numpad; may be good for a small form factor board. Available with Cherry blues, browns, or reds.
  7. Logitech G710 - $120 on Amazon and Newegg.- Widely available, nonstandard bottom row (not a big deal if you don't replace the keycaps). Only available in Cherry browns. Often goes on sale for around $80.

Edit: Given this is selected as the best answer and someone might stumble upon this in the future: Take a look at LogicalIncrements' lists of Keyboards and Mice they suggest -- it's in no way complete, but it lists most of the readily available stuff.

Hey guys,

Im a console guy trying to make my way over to the PCMR. I must say not as easy as it looks. As far as mouse and aiming as such i can get use to. However, movement with the wasd just isn't working out. Not only is it uncomfortable for my wrist but my finger are really big and the buttons too close together. Is this something i'll get use to? Should I stick to console? Any tips?

1 minute ago, KranSick187 said:

Hey guys,

Im a console guy trying to make my way over to the PCMR. I must say not as easy as it looks. As far as mouse and aiming as such i can get use to. However, movement with the wasd just isn't working out. Not only is it uncomfortable for my wrist but my finger are really big and the buttons too close together. Is this something i'll get use to? Should I stick to console? Any tips?

You can use a controller with a PC. 

are you using some odd keyboard? most stander keyboards are spaced out and some have wrist rests. you should over time

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

4 minutes ago, BloodyWaters said:

You can use a controller with a PC. 

The controller cant keep up with other players it sometimes feels slow or unresponsive. Playing FPS btw

2 minutes ago, KranSick187 said:

The controller cant keep up with other players it sometimes feels slow or unresponsive. Playing FPS btw

They sell larger keyboards if you have trouble pressing the keys. Using a mouse takes some getting used to but it is a skill that comes with practice, so play some games and practice using it. 

A technique I used to play with a mouse is to move your character around, but try to keep your crosshairs on a still object. It is a good way to practice. I would also mess with the sensitivity of the mouse to get it to a comfortable setting. 

50 minutes ago, BloodyWaters said:

Bunnyhopping and KZing on CSS or CSGO can be a pretty good way to get used to handling your mouse and keyboard. Just a suggestion, of course.

OP: I'd try picking up a decent mouse and keyboard -- nothing too fancy, but poorly designed keyboards definitely make it rougher to get used to. I'll put my suggestions below

Mice - given you're playing FPS games, you'll need a mouse with a decent sensor; ordered by price. Determine what "style" of grip you have with Popular-Grip-Styles.jpg:

1. Logitech G402 - $33 on Amazon or Newegg. - good for most styles of grip.
  2. Zowie EC-A - $60 on Amazon - good for palm grips.
  3. Zowie FK - $60 on Amazon. - good for claw grips.
  4. Logitech G502 - $60 on Amazon, $61 on Newegg - good for claw grips; my favorite mouse by far but a little on the heavy side.
  5. Steelseries Rival - $60 on Amazon or Newegg
  6. Zowie ZA - $75 on Amazon, $82 on Newegg - Good for palm grips, multiple sizes available.

Honorable mentions:

• Logitech G602 - Seen pretty often on sale for around $35 wireless with great battery life, good for palm grips. Decent sensor. On the heavy side, given battery.
  • Razer DeathAdder - great mouse, questionable quality control.

Keyboards:

1. MS Keyboard 200 - $12 on Amazon or $15 on Newegg - also cheap, not flashy.
  2. MS Keyboard 600 - $12 on Amazon or $20 on Newegg - Cheap, not flashy, has media keys.
  3. Logitech K120 - $14 on Amazon or $18 on Newegg. - definitely on the cheap side, nothing special, widely available.
  4. Monoprice Mechanical Keyboard - $60 on Monoprice or $77 on Amazon. - only offered in blue switches. Not many frills.
  5. Quickfire Rapid  - $85 on Amazon or $80 on Newegg - Available in Cherry blues, browns, blacks, and reds.
  6. Quickfire TK - $90 on Amazon or $100 on Newegg - No numpad; may be good for a small form factor board. Available with Cherry blues, browns, or reds.
  7. Logitech G710 - $120 on Amazon and Newegg.- Widely available, nonstandard bottom row (not a big deal if you don't replace the keycaps). Only available in Cherry browns. Often goes on sale for around $80.

Edit: Given this is selected as the best answer and someone might stumble upon this in the future: Take a look at LogicalIncrements' lists of Keyboards and Mice they suggest -- it's in no way complete, but it lists most of the readily available stuff.

it really just comes down to practice and time.

i feel the same way when i pick up a controller.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.