PC acting normally, then freezing after couple weeks

jvkeizer

Hi everyone, I've been Googling this problem but I cannot find any answers anywhere :/

A few months ago, my PC (specs below) has been freezing on me. What happens is that after a seemingly random amount of uptime (it can be a couple of minutes or up to two hours), my pc would freeze. I could still move the mouse around and navigate through applications and menus but couldn't start any new applications or even turn off my pc normally (I could click shutdown but nothing happened). Then after a few more minutes it would just completely freeze and I would have to turn it off forcefully. I decided to reinstall Windows 10 and that seemed to fix the issues. Until after a couple weeks it started happening again. I reinstalled Windows 10 three or four times already and the same keeps happening; works fine for a couple weeks and then just starts freezing on me again. I already checked my components as far as I could (I don't have a lot of other hardware to troubleshoot with) and everything seems to be working normally. My thoughts are that maybe it could be my SSD as that's the only thing that changes over the weeks as it gets filled with more data. Maybe there's a certain threshold of data that my SSD can handle and starts failing after there's more data on it? Anyways, any help would be greatly appreciated as I do not know what I can do to fix this.

Thanks in advance!

Specs:

• Zalman Z11 Plus
  • Intel Core i5-3470 (with stock cooler, not a lot of possibilities for overclocking anyway)
  • XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation
  • 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz red
  • Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3P
  • 240GB Crucial M500
  • 1TB Seagate Barracuda
  • 320GB Seagate OEM HDD
  • NZXT Hue
  • Corsair CX430

My personal rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/139780-zalman-my-first-build/

I use it partially as a Hackintosh. Don't judge me.

sounds like ram instability really, make sure that u have ur ram timings set to their spd ratings :P ( xmp profile basicly )

i think the instability is just corrupting ur windows files everytime ( ram instability is a master of file corruption )

(◑‿◐)

20 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

sounds like ram instability really, make sure that u have ur ram timings set to their spd ratings :P ( xmp profile basicly )

i think the instability is just corrupting ur windows files everytime ( ram instability is a master of file corruption )

Thanks, I checked my BIOS and xmp was on, but at 1600mhz. I googled a bit and found that my ram does have problems with reaching that so I disabled XMP and now it's running at the default 1333mhz. Hope it helps, I guess I'll update if my PC starts freezing again (just reinstalled Windows again today)

My personal rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/139780-zalman-my-first-build/

I use it partially as a Hackintosh. Don't judge me.

12 minutes ago, jvkeizer said:

Thanks, I checked my BIOS and xmp was on, but at 1600mhz. I googled a bit and found that my ram does have problems with reaching that so I disabled XMP and now it's running at the default 1333mhz. Hope it helps, I guess I'll update if my PC starts freezing again (just reinstalled Windows again today)

check cpu-z to see the spd of ur ramsticks which timings are stable :)

(◑‿◐)