SFF liquid cooling

Go to solution Solved by phongle123,
1 minute ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

I don't see the price on the specific page shown, do you know the price by memory? 

Amazon has a 2 pack for $9.49 and a 1 pack for $7.86.

This is a topic about liquid cooling and what kind of brand I should go for project "OMEGA" (my gaming/nas rig)

Alienware had a cooler similar to that idea and honestly I don't know if alienware's liquid cooler that they have in their SFF PCs will cut it for the TDP my rig's CPU will be producing.

4 minutes ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

This is a topic about liquid cooling and what kind of brand I should go for project "OMEGA" (my gaming/nas rig)

Alienware had a cooler similar to that idea and honestly I don't know if alienware's liquid cooler that they have in their SFF PCs will cut it for the TDP my rig's CPU will be producing.

Usually for SFF you will only get 1 fan slot, and you want that fan pushing air in. And if you use an AIO Liquid Cooler you're essentially pushing hot air back into the system. Then again you'd still be doing that if you used a heatsink+fan.

But Corsair H60 (120mm) or Corsair H80 (140mm) won't let you down.

If it doesn't cut it, you can also do something out of the box. Which is stick another fan outside of the fan slot to configure the AIO in a push/pull configuration.

Just now, phongle123 said:

Usually for SFF you will only get 1 fan slot, and you want that fan pushing air in. And if you use an AIO Liquid Cooler you're essentially pushing hot air back into the system. Then again you'd still be doing that if you used a heatsink+fan.

But Corsair H60 (120mm) or Corsair H80 (140mm) won't let you down.

I don't mind that there'll be only one fan but it will be shrouded directing the exhaust out the rear rather than circulating in the case.

To put the size of the pc in perspective:  PS3 ("phat" boy)  or the old as hell version of the PS3.

Limited space, limited head room.

7 minutes ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

I don't mind that there'll be only one fan but it will be shrouded directing the exhaust out the rear rather than circulating in the case.

To put the size of the pc in perspective:  PS3 ("phat" boy)  or the old as hell version of the PS3.

Limited space, limited head room.

I edited my original post to consider your TDP comment.

Back to this, the Corsair Hydro Series radiators are 30mm + 25mm for a fan so you need a total of 55mm to fit it, and you want to give it about half an inch so another 10-12mm of space between the fan and any other component so its able to push or pull the air. Once you actually have the case picked out, then you'll have a better idea of what you can achieve from it.

And like I edited in my first post, if you're worried about just 1 120/140mm radiator and 1 fan not able to properly cool the CPU, go ahead and throw another fan outside of the case to configure it in push pull, since its outside you won't have to worry about space. So it would be Fan-Radiator-Fan so it has more pushing power to cool the radiator. Depending on the fan color it could look ugly. But it will serve its purpose.

1 minute ago, phongle123 said:

Back to this, the Corsair Hydro Series radiators are 30mm + 25mm for a fan so you need a total of 55mm to fit it, and you want to give it about half an inch so another 10-12mm of space between the fan and any other component so its able to push or pull the air. Once you actually have the case picked out, then you'll have a better idea of what you can achieve from it.

And like I edited in my first post, if you're worried about just 1 120/140mm radiator and 1 fan not able to properly cool the CPU, go ahead and throw another fan outside of the case to configure it in push pull, since its outside you won't have to worry about space. So it would be Fan-Radiator-Fan so it has more pushing power to cool the radiator.

Alrighty then. 

in this case,  what thermal compound should I get for the CPU, GPUs, SFP+ NICs?

3 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

And like I edited in my first post, if you're worried about just 1 120/140mm radiator and 1 fan not able to properly cool the CPU, go ahead and throw another fan outside of the case to configure it in push pull, since its outside you won't have to worry about space. So it would be Fan-Radiator-Fan so it has more pushing power to cool the radiator. Depending on the fan color it could look ugly. But it will serve its purpose.

I don't think you gain alot from push pull.

What CPU are you cooling, and are you planning on OCing?

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Just now, unknownmiscreant said:

As long as it cools down and doesn't go too hot then I'm happy.

it is going to be (for now) Intel Xeon 8 Core E5-2660 (8 cores and posssibly 16 threads)

the tdp is 95W.   And as for OC, I will personally stay with a steady 4.0Ghz OC (if CPU supports it of course).

Anything above that I know won't be a good day. :P

9 minutes ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

Alrighty then. 

in this case,  what thermal compound should I get for the CPU, GPUs, SFP+ NICs?

I've always used Artic Silver 5. It has silver components in it and takes longer to apply than other thermal pastes. This is due to the fact that you have to heat up this thermal paste in a baggy in hot water so it can liquefy. This does contain silver in it, so you don't want it going on any of you componets as it is electrically conductive. Though this isn't the BEST in terms of lowering CPU Temps to the max, it is up there. But it is the BEST thermal paste in terms of consistency. So this thermal paste will help the most against jumping temperatures, for example idling at 30C and it jumps up to 37C all of a sudden then back down then back up.

8 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

That is true and false depending on the radiator. But no matter what it won't hurt his cause since the fan will only be outside of the case and he can take it off fairly easily.

I've always used Artic Silver 5. It has silver components in it and takes longer to apply than other thermal pastes. This is due to the fact that you have to heat up this thermal paste in a baggy in hot water so it can liquefy. This does contain silver in it, so you don't want it going on any of you componets as it is electrically conductive. Though this isn't the BEST in terms of lowering CPU Temps to the max, it is up there. But it is the BEST thermal paste in terms of accuracy (that's not the correct word but I can't think of it right now). So this thermal paste will help the most against jumping temperatures, for example idling at 30C and it jumps up to 37C all of a sudden then back down then back up.

That is true and false depending on the radiator. But no matter what it won't hurt his cause.

Alrighty then. :)

Arctic Silver 5 it is.

How much is the compound?

3 minutes ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

Alrighty then. :)

Arctic Silver 5 it is.

How much is the compound?

According to the website: http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Made With 99.9% Pure Silver:
Arctic Silver 5 uses three unique shapes and sizes of pure silver particles to maximize particle-to-particle contact area and thermal transfer. Arctic Silver 5 contains over 88% thermally conductive filler by weight.

So 88% filler, I'm guessing 12% silver? I'm not the expert on this. Just keep isopropyl alcohol ready. I've had many times where it got stuck to my palm without my knowledge.

3 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

According to the website: http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm

Made With 99.9% Pure Silver:
Arctic Silver 5 uses three unique shapes and sizes of pure silver particles to maximize particle-to-particle contact area and thermal transfer. Arctic Silver 5 contains over 88% thermally conductive filler by weight

I don't see the price on the specific page shown, do you know the price by memory? 

1 minute ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet. :3

17 minutes ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

As long as it cools down and doesn't go too hot then I'm happy.

it is going to be (for now) Intel Xeon 8 Core E5-2660 (8 cores and posssibly 16 threads)

the tdp is 95W.   And as for OC, I will personally stay with a steady 4.0Ghz OC (if CPU supports it of course).

Anything above that I know won't be a good day. :P

Xeons don't support OC (last time I looked).  a 120mm rad with one fan should be fine.

I would recommend configuring it in pull for ease oc cleaning. However push may be better, as then you can mount another fan on the outside of the case more easily.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Just now, unknownmiscreant said:

Xeons don't support OC (last time I looked).  a 120mm rad with one fan should be fine.

I would recommend configuring it in pull for ease oc cleaning. However push may be better, as then you can mount another fan on the outside of the case more easily.

Alrighty then. :)  Good to know.

9 minutes ago, Ripmin-PSN said:

Alrighty then. :)  Good to know.

I may well be wrong. I have never properly looked into xeon (or recent intel stuff at all), but I am fairly sure only the K and X / XE (f**k X299) consumer chips are overclock able.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s