CPU Overheating after new RAM and thermal paste

Go to solution Solved by tikker,
2 minutes ago, Bruno Braga said:

Could you please take a look at this video I shooted and make your judgement?

https://youtu.be/eui1oRR_SB0

That's definitely lacking mounting pressure. Pull the pins up, push the white through the motherboard holes first and then push them down. It should be firmly seated. I never really like the stock coolers though. They alwasy break on me after remounting a couple of times.

Hello, community.

I will give you guys full details of what I've done:

I bought some new RAM this friday.

It was a pack of 2x 8GB.

I removed the old ones (2x4GB) and put the new ones into place.

I also took the time to reapply the thermal paste and make some dust cleaning which I haven't done in some months.

I turned on the PC and it gave my a blue screen and after some tries, it said that the CPU was overheating.

I thought I hadn't applied the thermal paste correctly so I tried removing it and reapplying it again.

I actually did exactly like Linus: Install Thermal Compound Paste as Fast As Possible

The blue screens were still coming up and after some tries the CPU overheating as well.

I was told a brilliant idea to try each RAM at a time.

I could identify that one of the new ones was malfunctioning, as the PC would turn on with one of them but not with the other.

I'm going to the store this Monday for them to give me some new ones.

I placed my old RAMs and the PC booted nicely but the CPU overheating issue persisted.

I'll link you a video of the CPU overheating in less than 5 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YebgL-jx444

I don't know what I did wrong.

Did all those tries with a malfunctioning RAM make some damage to the CPU?

Thanks a lot for your time.

2 minutes ago, CalCalCal said:

This happened to me. Make sure your CPU cooler is 100% mounted correctly. Mine wasn't tight enough, and it was causing issues for me. I would recommend focusing on that, personally.

Hey. Thanks for your reply.

I already did that and I tightened it as best as I could but I'll be honest, I'm not sure it is perfectly still because it can move up and down by a few milimeters. (it doesn't move to the sides though)

I pressed the pins as best as I could and rotated them clockwise and I heard the "clicks".

Actually, I'll record a quick video showing how much it moves so you guys can give your opinions.

brb

9 minutes ago, CalCalCal said:

I'm not very knowledgeable, but it does seem "tight enough" - I could be wrong.

You're using the stock cooler which isn't always the best option, but surely the temps still shouldn't be going that high. Turn your PC on with your case-panel off and make sure the fan on the CPU cooler is actually working/spinning.

Hi.

Yes I've done that type of test.

Every fan inside the case is spinning perfectly.

Any more ideas for what I should look for?

27 minutes ago, Bruno Braga said:

...because it can move up and down by a few milimeters. (it doesn't move to the sides though)...

That could be your problem, it shouldn't do that. Double, triple or quadruple check you're making good contact. Otherwise, see if you can get a replacement cooler.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

1 minute ago, tikker said:

That could be your problem, it shouldn't do that. Double, triple or quadruple check you're making good contact. Otherwise, see if you can get a replacement cooler.

2 minutes ago, Bruno Braga said:

That's definitely lacking mounting pressure. Pull the pins up, push the white through the motherboard holes first and then push them down. It should be firmly seated. I never really like the stock coolers though. They alwasy break on me after remounting a couple of times.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

3 hours ago, tikker said:

That was it.

Pressing the white points through, before actually pushing the pins down solved my overheating issue.

I instantly noticed, the heatsink is now not moving not even a bit.

You saved me time and money. Stay well, my friend