Which microphone for streaming?

Hitman3003

Hi, guys! 

I am beginner streamer and I would like to have a proper microphone so my audience would hear me well and clearly. Currently, I am using Steelseries Siberia V2 built-in mic and it's just poor quality. I think I would go with a condenser microphone as I live alone in my room and there is not much ambient sound, but I have no idea which to choose?

Do I need any kind of preamplifier or mixer? I've noticed top streamers have got one but I am not sure it will help an amateur like me :S 

Also, I am planning to mount the mic on a stand. Should I go with an antivibration stand or would it be an overkill? 

I don't have any specific amount of money for that, but I don't want to spend too much; I can always upgrade after a while ;) Let's say $100 is all I have, but anything cheaper than that would be nice :P Oh, and I've already got a pop filter and dedicated sound card, which is ASUS Xonar DX 7.1. 

Any kind of feedback would be much appreciated! Thanks & have an amazing weekend! 

So im in no way an audio buff, like im really not, but i did spend about £250 GBP on an audio setup a few years back, while it sounds great in prerecorded stuff after some post work, the background noise from a condenser unless you're face is literally in it, is noticeable and not something which I would recommend. If your only starting out my suggestion would be dont waste your money on a condenser setup with pre-amp etc (which realistically is probably going to add up over $100), pic up a decent headset with a good quality inbuilt mic. That will get you started, then as your audience grows you can invest in better gear. 

Anyway like i said im really not that experienced in audio stuff, but that would be my opinion on that sort of thing from my limited experience. 

C

Intel

Well the cost of a condenser mic + preamp will probably add up way more that what you want to spend. I second @Cieronph's suggestion but just get a good quality but cheap mic to go along with your headphones instead of a headset. Also condenser mics pick up everything in your room, so if your room isn't treated your audience will hear everything the neighbours do next door.

@Max_Settings thanks for your reply but in the end, I think I will pass on an expensive mic for now. I realized that it's too much for a beginner streamer like me.

Nevertheless, can you recommend any cheap mic ($20-40) so I can pair it with my current headphones, please? Or maybe there are some decent headphones with good quality mic out there? I can spend up to $100 on them. Although, I think exterior microphone would always be better than built-in? What do you think?

Thanks for your help as always :) 

1 hour ago, Hitman3003 said:

@Max_Settings thanks for your reply but in the end, I think I will pass on an expensive mic for now. I realized that it's too much for a beginner streamer like me.

Nevertheless, can you recommend any cheap mic ($20-40) so I can pair it with my current headphones, please? Or maybe there are some decent headphones with good quality mic out there? I can spend up to $100 on them. Although, I think exterior microphone would always be better than built-in? What do you think?

Thanks for your help as always :) 

Can you go $50 for a Blue snowball? It is also very popular.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014PYGTUQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_BCp0zbCF2PAEP

Plenty of people use a ModMic 5 for streaming. You'll probably want a USB adapter too, it will bring you to 80 bucks or so and let you continue using your Steel Series headphones as well. IMO for this use you don't want the less expensive ModMic 4 as the Omni mode is better for streaming in quiet environments.

Of course, see my signature for my obvious bias, but its a pretty popular solution!

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

8 hours ago, AAJoe said:

Plenty of people use a ModMic 5 for streaming. You'll probably want a USB adapter too, it will bring you to 80 bucks or so and let you continue using your Steel Series headphones as well. IMO for this use you don't want the less expensive ModMic 4 as the Omni mode is better for streaming in quiet environments.

Of course, see my signature for my obvious bias, but its a pretty popular solution!

i personally use a modmic, and while i love it, it doesnt get loud enough.  nobody in my discord can hear me. and im using a small usb amp.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

@Tsuki That seems to be the odd one out of the bunch from what I've heard. Are you sure you have your software settings set correctly and are talking loud enough? Also take in consideration the proximity of the microphone to your mouth.

@Tsuki There's no plug and play "always works" with audio, but we're happy to help troubleshoot. Some systems just have this problem, USB or not. Drop us a line at customerservice at antlionaudio.com!

My bet is the easiest fix may be to download equalizer APO and just increase your mic gain pre-amp by 5-10db. It will introduce white noise if you go too far, but there's usually a happy medium. Or use a different USB adapter. We rec either our own or the Syba, which gives a nice 4.5v out to the mic.

1 hour ago, AAJoe said:

@Tsuki There's no plug and play "always works" with audio, but we're happy to help troubleshoot. Some systems just have this problem, USB or not. Drop us a line at customerservice at antlionaudio.com!

My bet is the easiest fix may be to download equalizer APO and just increase your mic gain pre-amp by 5-10db. It will introduce white noise if you go too far, but there's usually a happy medium. Or use a different USB adapter. We rec either our own or the Syba, which gives a nice 4.5v out to the mic.

oh cool! im using a really cheap one from Sabrent (its crap honestly)  i was actually an early adopter for the mic, so you didnt actually make anything else at the time.  now that i know you guys have your own amp, ill order one of those,  thanks!

@NinJakeyea ive got everything set to max in windows, and in discord. other people have me turned up to 200% and still can barely hear me. it may be my amp. but ill try to equalizer like Joe suggested, and probably buy a new amp, although it boosts line in just fine, just not line out.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Not to thread hijack further, but @Tsuki

Sabrent's quality really varies heavily, some of their stuff is fine, some of it is garbage. I'd start by trying the equalizer apo app, its super cool. Just make sure you select your mic as the device you're editing, and not "everything" - as you don't want to boost your headphones :)

Then just play with the boost levels and see if that helps. Beyond that reach out to our customer service and link to this thread and we'll keep the suggestions coming until we get you all sorted.