Laptop is not turning on

sjb655

This happened 2 hours ago, I was playing CS:GO competitive and suddenly the laptop shut down without any warning or something and now when I'm trying to turn it back on, it is not turning on. I tried pressing the power button for like 20 seconds and it starts sometimes and turns off before the windows 10 logo pops up.

Laptop specs : dell Inspiron 15r, intel i3 2330m, intel hd 3000, 4gb ddr3

it's pretty old laptop, bought in 2011.

Any hardware upgrade a while ago?

Else unplug the battery of the laptop and unplug the power. press and hold the power button for about 5 sek. repeat one more time. 

put everything back and try again. If that doesnt help... then there is not much hope left... Good luck

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

It could be one of 3  things. Power supply, motherboard or CPU failed. Easiest thing to test is the power supply. If your battery in the laptop is still working, I would try to unplug the laptop and see if it starts that way. If still doesn't start remove the battery from the laptop as well for 1 min and try again. I don't think it is a RAM issue but you can try to remove 1 stick if it has two sticks of ram. If it has 1 stick of ram try putting it into the other slot. If nothing is working, remove the battery again and also remove the button  battery on the mother board. This resets the BIOS and the clock on the system clock to its default settings and time. If still nothing there is an issue with the motherboard, CPU or the internal power supply.

So I did those steps and the laptop is able to turn on now, I went to desktop and just after 5-10 seconds it turned off again with a 'click' sound. Any suggestions?

I had very similar problems with my own Dell Inspiron 15r (which sucks, because I loved that laptop).  

Has the area where you plug the power in been damaged, bumped, or yanked recently? If so, you may need to replace that part.  Fortunately, it's only about $20. 

Also, do you know if the hard drive is ok? I had to replace mine with an SSD after the spin drive failed.

@kingfurykiller that sucks, I don't think the socket of the power adapter is damaged because it was working perfectly while I was playing. If it's a harddrive failure then will it stop the pc from turning on?

It sounds to me like the laptop is overheating. 

Maybe the fan has failed and isn't spinning anymore, so when you turn it on and it boots and starts loading things up - it puts some heat on the CPU and the thermal-limit turns the machine off? 

Do you hear the fan spinning when you turn it on? 

If yes - can you take it apart and make sure the heatsink hasn't separated from the CPU/Chipset ? Best thing is to re-apply thermal paste while you're at it. 

I opened my laptop and cleaned the heat sink, reapplied thermal compound and placed everything back and it was not working untill I tried it running without the keyboard ribbon attached. The laptop started normally and I had to use on screen keyboard to put password and stuff. Looks like the keyboard is causing the laptop to not to start. Any suggestions?

If I order a new laptop keyboard, will it work?

Also I can't use WiFi in laptop because the wireless capability is turned off and the only way I know is to press FN+F2 keys in my laptop. So if anyone knows any other way of turning WiFi on, let me know.

Thanks in advance.