Worth going 4k for 1080p?

leelaa14

So I'm playing 1440p at the moment but there are some games where I really want more fps. PUBG for example. I've lowered settings to the lowest apart from textures which are on high. Obviously 1080p looks pretty nasty on 1440p monitors due to scaling. So I'm thinking rather than going back to a 1080p monitor, I could upgrade to 4k for the games I can manage to run at that res and 1080p will look better on it due to even scaling or what ever it is. Killing two birds with one stone.
It sounds like a good idea in my head, but obviously more opinions on the plan would be helpful.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

In your case I'd buy a second 1080p monitor and run games on this one if they are badly optimized. Trust me you don't want a 4k display, it would hit your wallet hard really soon as you'll probably make yourself dependable on having a high-end card every generation. The alternative is to buy a second 1080 and SLI.

32 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

So I'm playing 1440p at the moment but there are some games where I really want more fps. PUBG for example. I've lowered settings to the lowest apart from textures which are on high. Obviously 1080p looks pretty nasty on 1440p monitors due to scaling. So I'm thinking rather than going back to a 1080p monitor, I could upgrade to 4k for the games I can manage to run at that res and 1080p will look better on it due to even scaling or what ever it is. Killing two birds with one stone.
It sounds like a good idea in my head, but obviously more opinions on the plan would be helpful.

I have a 4K monitor as well as a 1080p monitor. Trust me when I say the image (when scale down to 1080p) looks nicer on the 1080p monitor than the 4K monitor. Maybe it's because for the 4K monitor, 4 pixel is now going to be the same color in order to scale down to 1080p. It's not as sharp / clear as my 1080p monitor.

Don't really have a lot of budget to work with at the moment, so my 1080p monitor is my main monitor and the 4K monitor is mainly for Discord / Steam friend list / temps monitoring application as well as watching Netflix.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

55 minutes ago, VolkA said:

I have a 4K monitor as well as a 1080p monitor. Trust me when I say the image (when scale down to 1080p) looks nicer on the 1080p monitor than the 4K monitor. Maybe it's because for the 4K monitor, 4 pixel is now going to be the same color in order to scale down to 1080p. It's not as sharp / clear as my 1080p monitor.

Don't really have a lot of budget to work with at the moment, so my 1080p monitor is my main monitor and the 4K monitor is mainly for Discord / Steam friend list / temps monitoring application as well as watching Netflix.

the problem usually is that the scaling is not done as you described it, if it would just be 4 pixels act as one pixel everything would be sharp, they are usually using some interpolation methods that can result in unsharp pictures.

in the 4K 120hz Video from Linus he explains a little bit about this.

9 hours ago, Pixel5 said:

the problem usually is that the scaling is not done as you described it, if it would just be 4 pixels act as one pixel everything would be sharp, they are usually using some interpolation methods that can result in unsharp pictures.

in the 4K 120hz Video from Linus he explains a little bit about this.

Yah. I think the problem is more than what I have describe. But end of the day, the picture is really not as sharp as my 1080p monitor. Haha. Kind of sad but have to deal with it since I don't have any budget to work on my PC nowadays. :(

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System