Astro A40 Microphone Malfunction

lrt

Hello all!

I recently purchased a pair of Astro A40's (without the Mixamp). So far the experience has been pretty good however just today, seemingly out of the blue the headsets microphone stopped working properly. The microphone is unable to pick up my voice from more than an inch away and if I speak louder than a whisper it stops registering audio entirely. To date, I have tried the following.

• Checking for firmware updates
    • The astro website doesn't list any firmware upgrades for the a40 specifically, only listing a50 and mixamp updates :(
  • Restarting my PC
    • No effect
      • I run windows 8.1 64 bit with an i5 and GTX 760 (Though I don't think these details are entirely relevant)
  • Unplugging and re plugging my microphone
    • No effect
  • Running through the sound sound manager in the control panel
    • Nothing useful that I could find to fix the problem
  • Taking the detachable microphone from the headset and plugging directly into the microphone aux port on my PC
    • It worked! With the microphone sticking off the side of my PC it worked perfectly, although my voice sounds distant for obvious reasons :)

After this development I figured that the problem must be somewhere in the headset or connecting cord but I am unsure of how to proceed both in testing for which one or trying to fix the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 4 months later...

If you already went through your PC settings and sensitivity, the program Astro Command allows you to change that mic specifically, but im not sure if you need the mix amp to do this. I have the a40 TR's with amp and i dont how big of difference they are but behind each ear pad you can take it off and see if anything is clogging the mic plug in. On mine, Each side has a mic plug in so you can try a different side if you have the option. another easy fix (sounds stupid but i made the mistake) is that plugging the wire into the headset itself, you will hear a final *click*. each end of the wire is different so make sure the end with more ports/rings are connected firmly into your headset. LAST WORD OF ADVICE. GET MIXAMP. Makes a big difference. Sometimes I take off my headphones because I swear i hear more than 3 people all around me in my room and its just how good the dolby 7.1 sound is on them. ill attach some pictures that might explain some things.. i hope... If this doesnt help...then im sorry brother, and good luck.

mic.png.0a003d3f1944b1583133ee0e3d1b7531.png20180223_101814.jpg.1a47f41e6834a774c0f710a3c0bb658a.jpg20180223_101849.jpg.64512fdf95bf82ffa9da16ed826cbaf4.jpg