Best Tools for a Home NAS?

I am looking into setting up a home NAS. I have an old (but still fairly decent) laptop with 8GB RAM and a 1TB HDD. I also have a few external drives that I want to connect to it. My end goal is to have a system that can be accessed by any machine on the network, with a unique login for each user. I have tried to use FreeNAS, but haven't had any luck with the articles that I've read. As well as the built-in ethernet port on the laptop, I have a USB-to-ethernet adapter and was hoping to use that to double the bandwidth, if possible.

Any suggestions for other software that I could try? I have read about FreeNAS, NAS4Free, Rockstor, etc. but wanted to see if the LTT community had any input.

Ubuntu (server or desktop) with Samba shares?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

My end goal is to have a system that can be accessed by any machine on the network, with a unique login for each user.

^

modern routers ( not all of em) have support to connect a drive into the router through usb and turn it into a nas o,o ( at lan speed )

(◑‿◐)

22 hours ago, Lurick said:

Ubuntu (server or desktop) with Samba shares?

I don't know much about Linux, but would I be able to access them on Windows machines?

Just now, CaseyMazur said:

I don't know much about Linux, but would I be able to access them on Windows machines?

Yes, Samba shares should work across all platforms :) 

(I know Linux and Windows 100%)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Yes, Samba shares should work across all platforms :) 

(I know Linux and Windows 100%)

Nice. Would you happen to know a place that I could find some information on that? If not, it's fine, I can just research it myself.

18 minutes ago, CaseyMazur said:

Nice. Would you happen to know a place that I could find some information on that? If not, it's fine, I can just research it myself.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/How to Create a Network Share Via Samba Via CLI (Command-line interface/Linux Terminal) - Uncomplicated%2C Simple and Brief Way!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: