Dekstop Files help

Go to solution Solved by G27Racer_188,
1 minute ago, xIHuNTeRIx said:

and having the whole desktop on (-D) isn't possible? Users\[username]\Desktop folder.

OK, I take it back, looks like it is possible, but I personally haven't tried it.

Open file explorer and go to C:\\Users\username\ and there right click on the Desktop folder.

In the window that pops up go to location tab and change the location of desktop folder.

Hey all

My problem is this:

when I'm downloading files to my big storage (HDD 2TB (-D) ) it goes there all fine

But when I Cut and Copy to the Dekstop its automatically goes to the OS storage (m.2 ssd 250gb (-c) )

so I cut paste the files/folders etc.. from the (-C) Dekstop/User folder to the big drive (-D)

but then its disappear from the Dekstop

and I don't want ShortCuts to the desktop just the originals Files and Folders to be showing at the desktop while they storage at the big storage (-D)

While the OS still boot from the SSD (-C) 

Hope to solve it thx all and have a good weekend 

That is not possible. 

When you put a file on desktop it goes to C:\\Users\[username]\Desktop folder.

So ether shortcuts, or have file on desktop.

You can't have it somewhere where it isn't.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

11 minutes ago, G27Racer_188 said:

That is not possible. 

When you put a file on desktop it goes to C:\\Users\[username]\Desktop folder.

So ether shortcuts, or have file on desktop.

You can't have it somewhere where it isn't.

and having the whole desktop on (-D) isn't possible? Users\[username]\Desktop folder.

1 minute ago, xIHuNTeRIx said:

OK, I take it back, looks like it is possible, but I personally haven't tried it.

Open file explorer and go to C:\\Users\username\ and there right click on the Desktop folder.

In the window that pops up go to location tab and change the location of desktop folder.

CPU: i7 3770K | MB: EVGA Z77 FTW | RAM: HyperX Savage 2400Mhz 16GB | GPU: R9 280X Toxic | Cooler: Scythe Fuma | PSU: CoolerMaster B600

SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - Toshiba DT01ACA300 3TB

6 minutes ago, G27Racer_188 said:

it worked

but I think I did mistake

now the whole (-d) is the desktop not just some folders any help?

Just now, xIHuNTeRIx said:

it worked

but I think I did mistake

now the whole (-d) is the desktop not just some folders any help?

No, you didn't make a mistake.

For files (and folders) to be on the desktop, they all have to be in the same folder.

So you can choose where that folder is located, but everything has to be in that folder to appear on the desktop itself.

Basically think of desktop as a full-screened file explorer window in which you can change the background.

3 minutes ago, G27Racer_188 said:

No, you didn't make a mistake.

For files (and folders) to be on the desktop, they all have to be in the same folder.

So you can choose where that folder is located, but everything has to be in that folder to appear on the desktop itself.

Basically think of desktop as a full-screened file explorer window in which you can change the background.

Thx very much solved

Everything you see on the Desktop is a physical folder in your C: drive, usually located in the folder that holds your profile.

In Windows 7, that's  C:\ Users \ [ username ]  \ Desktop

In Windows 10, the path may be different but it should also have a similar folder.

So if you paste some files on the desktop, they get copied here.

What you can do is to create a "virtual folder" on your desktop, a folder which looks like a regular folder to applications but it's actually just a sort of special shortcut, which redirects everything to another folder.

To create such "virtual folder", you need to download SysInternals Suite from Microsoft , or just the Junction utility from the package, which can be downloaded separately here

So all you have to do is extract the files in a folder (for example, D:\Temp\ ), then open a command prompt - from Windows Explorer, the easiest way would to hold down Ctrl and Shift keys and right click on an empty area to the right or below the files inside that folder where you extracted the download, and you'll get an option called "Open command window here".

Now in that command prompt, you can simply type something like this:

junction.exe "C:\Users\[username]\Desktop\VirtualFolder"  "D:\Desktop"

where [username]  is whatever user name you used to log in (just browse your hard drive and go in C:\Users and see what shows up) and VirtualFolder can be whatever you like.

Before you run that, Desktop folder (or whatever you want to call it) on your D: drive must exist, and VirtualFolder folder on your desktop must not exist.

Once you type that and press enter, a folder called "VirtualFolder" will show up on your desktop and if you try to enter it, you'll automatically open D:\Desktop

If you use Copy on some files, and then right click on the folder and hit Paste, the files will be transferred to that "D:\Desktop" folder

When you want to get rid of the folder, you can simply say

junction.exe -d "c:\Users\[username]\Desktop\VirtualFolder"  and the application will remove the "shortcut" but won't remove "D:\Desktop" from your hard drive.