Amp for my DT770 80 ohm?

khazad

I already read the sticky but i don't understand half of it because english is not my first language. That's why i'm asking this.

I'm looking for a AMP because the sound of my DT770 80 ohms sounds fragile, i connect it directly into the onboard audio of my motherboard (MSI z270 M3).

I just read Schiit releasing the Magni 3, i could get that easily because i have $100 now but i'd like to hear a cheaper alternative.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | MB: Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16Gb 3200Mhz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | SSD: Crucial MX300 275Gb | HDD: WD Black 2Tb | Monitor: LG 27GL83A

5 minutes ago, khazad said:

I already read the sticky but i don't understand half of it because english is not my first language. That's why i'm asking this.

I'm looking for a AMP because the sound of my DT770 80 ohms sounds fragile, i connect it directly into the onboard audio of my motherboard (MSI z270 M3).

I just read Schiit releasing the Magni 3, i could get that easily because i have $100 now but i'd like to hear a cheaper alternative.

The Magni 2 is $60 on amazon. And with the leftover I recommend an external DAC so you aren't double-amping, but I'm not an expert

EDIT: RIP its out of stock

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

6 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

The Magni 2 is $60 on amazon. And with the leftover I recommend an external DAC so you aren't double-amping, but I'm not an expert

EDIT: RIP its out of stock

Yeah i think i'll go with the magni 3, i won't have to think about if i made the right choise if i bought another brand/model.

I haven't head any static noise while listening a music, i'd still need a DAC? would an AMP increase the chance of hearing static noise?

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | MB: Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16Gb 3200Mhz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | SSD: Crucial MX300 275Gb | HDD: WD Black 2Tb | Monitor: LG 27GL83A

1 minute ago, khazad said:

Yeah i think i'll go with the magni 3, i won't have to think about if i made the right choise if i bought another brand/model.

I haven't head any static noise while listening a music, i'd still need a DAC? would an AMP increase the chance of hearing static noise?

No I don;t think, but double amping can. Although it probably won't matter. 

Hmm.. Your mobo is actually capable to provide enough power for the headphone.. Is the mobo settings properly configured? Just curious..

BUT IF you really want to get an amp, Schiit fulla 2 is a great solution for $100.. Cheaper one is Fiio K1, its okay (not good nor bad), just to deliver that extra power when needed.

Cpu R5 1600 @3.7ghz - MB Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GBx2 @3000mhz - GPU Palit GTX 1070ti Dual - Storage Kingston FuryX 120GB SSD, WD 500GB Green HDD, Seagate 1TB HDD - PSU Seasonic X650 - Case Sharkoon S25-W - Display Zowie XL2411 - Peripherals Filco Ninja Browns, Zowie FK2 & Qck Hyperbeast Ed.

11 minutes ago, nicobombai said:

Hmm.. Your mobo is actually capable to provide enough power for the headphone.. Is the mobo settings properly configured? Just curious..

BUT IF you really want to get an amp, Schiit fulla 2 is a great solution for $100.. Cheaper one is Fiio K1, its okay (not good nor bad), just to deliver that extra power when needed.

I just built the pc last weekend, yesterday was the first time that i've turned it on i haven't done any tweaking nor installing any updates or anything, i just turned it on, installed windows and tried my two headphones (DT770 and V-Moda LP crossfade) with a .flac music. And i could clearly notice that the V-Moda sounds better than the DT770.

The first time that i've got the DT770, i've tried it with my old pc whic has an old motherboard, Asus P7H55-M LE, and it sounded way more fragile than with the new pc. So an improvement is there.

I'll try to install the audio updates that i can find on the msi site and see if it works.

15 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

No I don;t think, but double amping can. Although it probably won't matter. 

How's double amping? i'm new on the audio world. Does it mean by using two "volume levels" at the same time? that won't work with the DT770, but i'm planning on getting a home theater in the future, which i'll be connecting it to my pc (amp -> onboard audio, is that how it is connected?)

Just now, khazad said:

How's double amping? i'm new on the audio world. Does it mean by using two "volume levels" at the same time? that won't work with the DT770, but i'm planning on getting a home theater in the future, which i'll be connecting it to my pc (amp -> onboard audio, is that how it is connected?)

There's an internal amp inside your PC. Which then runs into your external amp, causing double amping. It can introduce static, but it's most likely fine, I did it for a long time.

6 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

There's an internal amp inside your PC. Which then runs into your external amp, causing double amping. It can introduce static, but it's most likely fine, I did it for a long time.

Ah, alright, well i might do Magni/Modi combo in the future if schiit releases Modi 3.