Intel Ethernet Adapter Teaming

So super networking noob here, what's the deal with Intel's Ethernet Adapter Teaming thing?  I have regular ethernet going into the only ethernet port in my PC but I also have an ethernet to USB 2.0 adapter lying around and I was wondering if I could team them up to get faster speeds, is that how it works?  Anybody that can explain it would be great thanks!

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

2 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

So super networking noob here, what's the deal with Intel's Ethernet Adapter Teaming thing?  I have regular ethernet going into the only ethernet port in my PC but I also have an ethernet to USB 2.0 adapter lying around and I was wondering if I could team them up to get faster speeds, is that how it works?  Anybody that can explain it would be great thanks!

In Theory you should be able to have to network adapaters work together as if they are one. But unless they are the same type of network adapater I wouldn't advice it....

1 minute ago, Levisallanon said:

In Theory you should be able to have to network adapaters work together as if they are one. But unless they are the same type of network adapater I wouldn't advice it....

So I should only really do it if I have like a dual ethernet motherboard. Alright, thanks anyway!

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

2 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

So I should only really do it if I have like a dual ethernet motherboard. Alright, thanks anyway!

You can do it if both adapters support teaming, and if the driver of either allows you to include the other adapter in the team (some do, some don't).

If not, you can try SMB instead.

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You can do it if both adapters support teaming, and if the driver of either allows you to include the other adapter in the team (some do, some don't).

If not, you can try SMB instead.

What's SMB?

3 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

What's SMB?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn610980(v=ws.11).aspx

I don't know much myself, but it's what Wendell suggested when I asked about the possibilities of teaming in a dual-NIC motherboard (it turned out that said motherboard's adapters did not support teaming, so you could not use them as such).

I eventually managed to team some multi-port PCIe NICs, so I didn't need to learn more about SMB. Maybe I should at some point :P 

9 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn610980(v=ws.11).aspx

I don't know much myself, but it's what Wendell suggested when I asked about the possibilities of teaming in a dual-NIC motherboard (it turned out that said motherboard's adapters did not support teaming, so you could not use them as such).

I eventually managed to team some multi-port PCIe NICs, so I didn't need to learn more about SMB. Maybe I should at some point :P 

SMB Multichannel will only be usefull if you have files you want to pull of a server which you manage. If you need the extra bandwith for other things it won't work.

58 minutes ago, Levisallanon said:

SMB Multichannel will only be usefull if you have files you want to pull of a server which you manage. If you need the extra bandwith for other things it won't work.

So it wouldn't work for me - good to know before trying ;)