R9 290 problems..

So yeah thought I'd upgrade from the 6950 to a R9 290(sapphire) and everything was going well till I started getting blue screens of death, black screens.  The whole pc just restarting so i fitted my old card and the problem went away so i took to some forums and found out this was a driver problem ? and quite a few people are having these problems but I can't seem to find a fix anywhere can anyone shed some light?

Can't deal with it much longer and about to rma

XFX R9 290,AMD FX8350,Samsung 840 Pro 128gb SSD, ASUS Sabertooth 990, Corsair Vengance 8GB Ram 1600mhz, Zalman Z11 Plus mid tower. Corsair H80i Liquid Cooler,Corsair m40 ,Corsair Vengance K70

Umm yeah I've been having that occasionally too :/ weirdly enough however dialing back the overclock on my CPU seemed to help? You might want to think about that; just out of question what drivers are you using?

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Umm yeah I've been having that occasionally too :/ weirdly enough however dialing back the overclock on my CPU seemed to help? You might want to think about that; just out of question what drivers are you using?

Well I've only just got my new CPU so everythings running at stock and 13.11 Beta I tried the 13.10 and had the same problem 

XFX R9 290,AMD FX8350,Samsung 840 Pro 128gb SSD, ASUS Sabertooth 990, Corsair Vengance 8GB Ram 1600mhz, Zalman Z11 Plus mid tower. Corsair H80i Liquid Cooler,Corsair m40 ,Corsair Vengance K70

Well I've only just got my new CPU so everythings running at stock and 13.11 Beta I tried the 13.10 and had the same problem 

Hmmmm... same... Did the errors appear more or less using the Beta?

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Hmmmm... same... Did the errors appear more or less using the Beta?

I guess less but it varies sometimes it does it 30 seconds after boot sometimes an hour but it even does it when i'm just on the desktop doing nothing intensive at all 

All I can say is to hope AMD bring out a new driver soon

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

All I can say is to hope AMD bring out a new driver soon

Normally AMD comes out with new drivers each new month

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

Normally AMD comes out with new drivers each new month

Its quite disappointing the lack of support we're getting from AMD considering so many people are having this problem but yeah hopefully new drivers will fix this problem soon! 

I guess less but it varies sometimes it does it 30 seconds after boot sometimes an hour but it even does it when i'm just on the desktop doing nothing intensive at all 

same

Its quite disappointing the lack of support we're getting from AMD considering so many people are having this problem but yeah hopefully new drivers will fix this problem soon! 

I bet 30$ that the new drivers will be out in a week

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

I bet 30$ that the new drivers will be out in a week

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/83883-amd-catalyst-1311-beta95-now-available-brings-more-fixes/

I must be magical 

I'm the Forum Owl

*Who*

same r9 290 issues here

AMD have told me on the phone it is an issue with the Elpida ram chips in some of the r9 series cards

there is currently no fix for this issue even though there has been countless driver updates

amd recommend us to rma the cards or to hassle the vendor for a bios update

so again the issue affects all r9 290 and 290x cards that have the 
Elpida ram whether under or over clocked and the only fix is to rma the card at this time

• 1 month later...

Elpida ram

How do i know what ram does my GPU have?

I have AMD Radeon R9 290X MSI Gaming Edition

How do i know what ram does my GPU have?

I have AMD Radeon R9 290X MSI Gaming Edition

Wrong place to post, just look it up. But every 290 / 290X has 4GB of VRAM (GDDR5)

Big Mac: 

CPU: AMD FX 6300. GPU: MSI GT 640. Case: Azza Atlas Gaming Case.Storage: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200RPM. Memory: 8GB 1600Mhz 2x4. OS: Windows 8.1 

Cobra (WIP) : 

CPU: Intel Core i7 4930k. CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 GPU: Asus OC GTX 780Ti. Motherboard: ASRock Extreme6 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo. PSU: Corsair AX 860i Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD w/ Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 7200RPM. Memory: AMD 8x2 16GB 1866Mhz. OS: Windows 7 Home Premium  

I also have the black screen of death, it will happen at random times when it feels like it. So far the only driver fix that says anything about it is the Beta 9.4 drivers, but that's a 50/50 change that it will work for you. The only thing you can really do is download the 14.1 drivers when they become available here

This is also a fairly common issue for this line of cards (290 and 290x). A lot of people on the webs are having this issue and the only fix everyone is waiting for is a driver fix. If this does not fix the card when 14.1 drivers come out. I will be getting an RMA of the card. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

Been getting Blue screens on my 280x occasionally when on dual monitors. Will remove my overclock and see if this works :D

My Mobile Devices: HTC Dream (G1) Rooted, HTC Bravo (Desire) Rooted, Samsung Galaxy SII Rooted, Samsung Galaxy Note II Rooted, iPhone 4s Jailbroken, iPad 2 Jailbroken

Wrong place to post, just look it up. But every 290 / 290X has 4GB of VRAM (GDDR5)

How is it wrong place, if he says that i should RMA my card, IF it has certain ram, and i ask him how to know what ram does my card have.

Also i did not ask how much ram did it have nor what type of ram it has, i asked how to know if it is Elpida ram, what ever that is.

Just bought the Sapphire R9 290 Tri-OC and when I start up BF4 I can walk around for about 1min and then I get a Black-screen and a totally unresponsive system.
Will try a few things first, reinstall drivers, change the "BIOS" mode on the card it self, downclock my "stock OC card from Sapphire", give it more power,...

I will you guys know how things go...

How is it wrong place, if he says that i should RMA my card, IF it has certain ram, and i ask him how to know what ram does my card have.

Also i did not ask how much ram did it have nor what type of ram it has, i asked how to know if it is Elpida ram, what ever that is.

Agh, my mistake. I guess the post date convinced me you were looking for additional information.

Big Mac: 

CPU: AMD FX 6300. GPU: MSI GT 640. Case: Azza Atlas Gaming Case.Storage: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200RPM. Memory: 8GB 1600Mhz 2x4. OS: Windows 8.1 

Cobra (WIP) : 

CPU: Intel Core i7 4930k. CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 GPU: Asus OC GTX 780Ti. Motherboard: ASRock Extreme6 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo. PSU: Corsair AX 860i Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD w/ Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 7200RPM. Memory: AMD 8x2 16GB 1866Mhz. OS: Windows 7 Home Premium  

Just bought the Sapphire R9 290 Tri-OC and when I start up BF4 I can walk around for about 1min and then I get a Black-screen and a totally unresponsive system.

Will try a few things first, reinstall drivers, change the "BIOS" mode on the card it self, downclock my "stock OC card from Sapphire", give it more power,...

I will you guys know how things go...

Yesterday all went fine, today crashes all day, all night... wtf

• 4 months later...

I have the LATEST driver and everything and it still does this. Is it FOR SURE the ram on the GPU?