Gaming with a U series CPU and eGPU

I wasn't exactly where to put this post but I have a configuration that I wonder if it would work.

I was wondering if you could do some gaming on a notebook computer with a i7 U series intel CPU. Say something like in an XPS 13. I'm talking about some heavier games on medium settings. To enable this I would use an eGPU over thunderbolt 3 with say a Nvdia 1060. However I realize you are likely to hit a CPU bottleneck normally as the CPU would need to turbo pretty consistently to run the games but would probably not be able to do that due to too much heat. So if I added the Opolar notebook cooler (https://www.amazon.com/Temperature-Display-Cooling-Auto-Temp-Detection/dp/B00XKU47Y2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505531943&sr=8-1&keywords=opolar%2Bnotebook&th=1) to keep the CPU cooler would it be able to consistently turbo enough that the games would run steadily? Or would this setup not really work out?

I think LTT tried something like that once and found it to be entirely useless iirc

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Setup should work, as long as the game can run fine on something like a quad core sandy bridge laptop ( @Ryan_Vickers says his laptop is ~i5 7500u in multithreaded)

laptop coolers are bullshit. just place your laptop on a hard surface, like a table. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

Setup should work, as long as the game can run fine on something like a quad core sandy bridge laptop ( @Ryan_Vickers says his laptop is ~i5 7500u in multithreaded)

laptop coolers are bullshit. just place your laptop on a hard surface, like a table. 

tbf I have noticed newer games CPU bottlenecking but the higher single-threaded performance of something like a 7500u might even help alleviate that, idk

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

tbf I have noticed newer games CPU bottlenecking but the higher single-threaded performance of something like a 7500u might even help alleviate that, idk

but on desktop, dual core is much worse than quad cores in minimums/averages, and slightly higher in highs

or something like that. 

my i5 7200u on a Asus UX430UA clocked at about 2.2GHz sustained turbo. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

but on desktop, dual core is much worse than quad cores in minimums/averages, and slightly higher in highs

or something like that. 

my i5 7200u on a Asus UX430UA clocked at about 2.2GHz sustained turbo. 

the thing is my CPU won't be 100% used, while a 7500 U would, so even though my multi-threaded will be a hair higher, the 7500U might actually do better.

39 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Depends.

My ASUS needed a Notepal U3+ because the intake vents are annoyingly small, so I have to put fans directly underneath them to help.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Depends.

My ASUS needed a Notepal U3+ because the intake vents are annoyingly small, so I have to put fans directly underneath them to help.

I am using a lenovo fake thinkpad (3000 n100) and it's even doing fine resting on my bed, while pinned the CPU only heats up to 68c, and while on anything else, 64c.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.