[Build Log] Acid Burn

Tech-Asa

So i have spent years building computers, i even make a living doing it. Yet in all that time never built a custom water cooled pc for my self. Well here it is. The waiting is over. I call it Acid Burn, Yeah i know 1995 Hackers... well green rgb everywhere so it fits.

Cut out back of case, Designed and 3D printed a bracket to mount the back plate of the GPU.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2434186

Used this mount off Thingiverse

Drilled a hole in the case to put a drain port out the back.

Tried to make it my own.

IMG_0832.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

IMG_0837.JPG

IMG_0840.JPG

IMG_0842.JPG

IMG_0843.JPG

IMG_0844.JPG

IMG_0849.JPG

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_0851.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

IMG_0855.JPG

IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0858.JPG

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0860.JPG

IMG_0862.JPG

IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_0866.JPG

IMG_0867.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_0871.JPG

IMG_0872.JPG

IMG_0875.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0880.JPG

IMG_0881.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG.5c04cab48dec5e51da8dc33db99f0fc6.JPG

IMG_0885.JPG

IMG_0889.JPG

IMG_0890.JPG

IMG_0893.JPG

Parts List

-------------------------------

Asus X99 Deluxe /u3.1

Intel I7 5820k

16gb Corsair LPX 3000

Asus Strix 1080ti OC

Samsung 250gb NvME SSD

4 x Samsung SSDs Raid 0

EK x99 CPU Waterblock

EK Strix 1080ti Waterblock and Backplate

12 x Thermaltake Pacific RGB Fittings

XSPC 360mm Radiator

XSPC 280mm Radiator

EK 140mm DDC Pump Res 

PrimoChill Vue Ocular Flow Coolant

NZXT Hue+ LEDs & AER Fans

EVGA 1600 G2 Powersupply

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX

Cablemod Custom ParaChord cables

Misc fittings from EK

Paint:

Humbrol - Enamel Green/Black

Borax

Aquarium Heater

Bucket of water

Top Exhaust - Fix Poor Airflow (video below)

4 x PQ12-100-R Linear Servo

1 x Arduino Uno

1 x Relay

1 x Light Sensor

2 x DT11 Sensor

4 x 3D printed custom mounts

1 x 6v 3A DC Power Adapter

Arduino is powered via 5v over USB connected to PC for serial interface

Sensors and servos are powered via DC6v 3a wall adapter

I have designed, built, fabricated and installed a stand alone system that does not require any CPU power to monitor the temperature of the system and open the top of the case depending on workload. Under normal use the top stays closed, gaming opens to 60% and video editing or heavy gaming under OC, 100% open. The video is just showing a startup test moving the actuators in a sequence. full,closed, mid, closed, then on to the routine. I use a light sensor to monitor an LED on the motherboard to power on the sensors and servos when the PC is started. A Relay kills the power to all the sensors and servos when the motherboard turns off. A pair of DT11 Sensors monitor the Internal and External Temperature and Humidity. The Temperature readings control the position of the exhaust vents. The humidity readings will eventually kill power to the PC if the values stray too far from one another (WIP: Humidity Readings are an attempt at leak detection will take power button low/high depending on power on or off the pc)

Edited by Tech-Asa
Added New photos and Video Log URL + SERVOS and MOTION

Seems awesome! Never really seen a vertically mounted GPU with a custom loop, they way you bent it infront of it is kind of weird, but otherwise than that it looks awesome! Do you have the part list or am I missing something?

In my opinion the purple LEDs dont match at all but its your build, not mine :)

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

Parts List

-------------------------------

Asus X99 Deluxe /u3.1

Intel I7 5820k

16gb Corsair LPX 3000

Asus Strix 1080ti OC

Samsung 250gb NvME SSD

4 x Samsung SSDs Raid 0

EK x99 CPU Waterblock

EK Strix 1080ti Waterblock and Backplate

12 x Thermaltake Pacific RGB Fittings

XSPC 360mm Radiator

XSPC 280mm Radiator

EK 140mm DDC Pump Res 

NZXT Hue+ LEDs & AER Fans

EVGA 1600 G2 Powersupply

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX

Cablemod Custom ParaChord cables

Misc fittings from EK

6 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

Seems awesome! Never really seen a vertically mounted GPU with a custom loop, they way you bent it infront of it is kind of weird, but otherwise than that it looks awesome! Do you have the part list or am I missing something?

The bend infront of the GPU i wanted to make lower however i need to source some longer lengths of PETG to make that work. the stuff i had was about 3ft and it was not long enough to go to the bottom of the card and then back. maybe in a future update.... like when PrimoChill releases their Vue Fluids....

6 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

In my opinion the purple LEDs dont match at all but its your build, not mine :)

Green was too much, tried the purple to balance it out.. not set on anything just finished so i am interested in what you all have to say as for changes.

Thanks for the input! :D

Just now, Tech-Asa said:

The bend infront of the GPU i wanted to make lower however i need to source some longer lengths of PETG to make that work. the stuff i had was about 3ft and it was not long enough to go to the bottom of the card and then back. maybe in a future update.... like when PrimoChill releases their Vue Fluids....

Green was too much, tried the purple to balance it out.. not set on anything just finished so i am interested in what you all have to say as for changes.

Thanks for the input! :D

Np! If you're not doing green, maybe white or red would work

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

This look sweet, i really dig the way you have done your bends looks almost like they just kinda melted into the place they are in now.

Also..

giphy.gif.934607e9488923aae57b77f769f76c2d.gif

...I'll show myself out

The Fleet List

Spoiler

Galactica - Main PC - Intel 5960X, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum, Corsair AX1200i, EVGA Titan X, Samsung 950Pro 512GB, Samsung 850Pro 2TB..Triple Monitors and Watercooled in a Corsair 750D Running Windows 10
Destiny - HTCP - Intel i5 6400, 16GB Corsair Vengence LXP, Corsair SF450 PSU, Asus Strix H720I Gaming MOBO, Corsair MP500 240GB SSD in a Node 202 running Ubuntu Server for PLEX and other home theatre tools.

UNSC Forward Unto Dawn - iPad Pro 12inch

USS Daedalus - 2015 Mac Book Air

Colonial Viper - Sony Xperia XZ Premium

Resurrection Hub - Synology DS1818+ with 5 WD Red 4TB Drives

Works in Progress... Threadripper ... Ryzen 5 ... Radio Station Servers

I'm curious as to how you managed to do what you've done with the GPU and CPU.

AFAIK, with that kind of GPU block, if you run a pipe in to one side, and out of the other side, the water pressure should bypass the GPU water block and go straight through. Did you modify the block to allow this?

Looks great, but I worry about how much flow your GPU gets, unless you've modded the block to work with this kind of setup.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I like it, Its different and in modding that's not easy to accomplish 

is that swirling?

4 hours ago, Defyant said:

I like it, Its different and in modding that's not easy to accomplish 

is that swirling?

That i think is called hydro dipped swirl painting. Hard to get a firm naming convention from youtube vids. But basically you layer the paint in a bucket of warm water and swirl it with a stick. when you have the texture you are after dip the part at a 45 degree angle and you have that effect. honestly the Radiators look better on the hidden/back sides... smh learning exprience lol 

Parts:

Humbrol Eamel Paints

Borax

Water

fish tank heater

Cheers i just asked cause ive swirled a few guitars for the son but they never dripped at the end :)  its nice to see it used on a PC for the first time.

Ive  done hydro dipping as well but that was using carbon film for car parts. I still havent found an idea where i could use it on a Case mod.

35 minutes ago, Defyant said:

Cheers i just asked cause ive swirled a few guitars for the son but they never dripped at the end :)  its nice to see it used on a PC for the first time.

Ive  done hydro dipping as well but that was using carbon film for car parts. I still havent found an idea where i could use it on a Case mod.

Yeah i've seen people dip their entire case. looks meh to me. maybe with some masking you could accent parts with the carbon fiber film or some texture. That dripping was because the paint dried on the surface of the water and did not stick to the part. I dipped those to clean up some extra paint after dipping the vertical PCIe Brackets and it did that...  so dont re use already dipped paint lol. i soaked those parts in acetone and re-shot them black.

• 3 months later...
On 9/16/2017 at 3:36 AM, Trik'Stari said:

I'm curious as to how you managed to do what you've done with the GPU and CPU.

AFAIK, with that kind of GPU block, if you run a pipe in to one side, and out of the other side, the water pressure should bypass the GPU water block and go straight through. Did you modify the block to allow this?

Looks great, but I worry about how much flow your GPU gets, unless you've modded the block to work with this kind of setup.

The loop is a Parallel configuration. Theoretically the potential waterpressure will be split between the two blocks, dependent on flow rate of each. Basically both are restrictive yes however when you correlate that to the flow rate of the Pump, you get an average pressure greater than either block will allow.

Consequently you do maintain a good pressure through both blocks. My GPU temps never goes above 50c with a 2100/11450 overclock on the 1080ti

the CPU now with a 4.5ghz overclock does boost higher than the gpu however when everything is going after several hours of gaming the gpu is 7-10 degrees warmer than the CPU. this is after full heat saturation of the system. 

I did it this way to prevent any heat from one device directly impacting the other. both radiators cool the water in series, then the blocks are in parallel to split the flow of the cold water. the part i think you are missing is the maintained pressure of the exhaust side of the blocks, they are connected as well so it creates a sort of vaccume on the exhaust side as well helping to maintain flow. too much in fluid dynamics to really get into.. a bit over my head even but proof is in the pudding and after these months zero problems with heat outside of those imposed by the restrictive case...

sorry for the very late reply.

• 5 weeks later...