Wireless Earphones

Steven9595
Go to solution Solved by Eclypseon,

I am a multi-platform user (I have Windows at home, Mac at school, and Linux at work) That is to say, I'm not a fanboy of any particular brand. However, I spend a LOT of time on the phone. I was a skeptic of Apple's Airpods ("oooh it's shiny and makes a bell sound" :P ) . But when my brother gave me a demo of his, I bought them the same day. Here's why:

• The AirPods work with FindMyiPhone and will help you know where they last were connected to your phone ("did I leave them at work or in the couch?")
  • Each AirPod can (individually) be made to emit a chirp loud enough to be heard through some couch cushions if you lose one.
  • The charging "pod" fits well in the average jean pocket, and allows you to keep one on the charge and one in an ear at nearly all times
  • If using both earpieces for stereo sound, removing one side automatically pauses your media (and starts it again once replaced).
  • (Unlike Linus :) ) I use Siri to do a number of things by simply tapping the earpiece in my ear twice (lightning fast Siri response compared to other headsets)
  • The earpieces them selves are comfortable enough for my big ears that I've often forgotten they were there. (and violent head-shaking still won't dislodge them)
  • The charging pod recharges via lightning cable (like my iPhone)
  • They stay connected to the phone better than most, and (unlike the Plantronics Voyager) they use optical 'in-ear' detection instead of capacitive(?) and don't inexplicably disconnect audio thinking you've removed the headset from your head for no reason.

I am extremely surprised at how much I appreciate several of the AirPods' features. In the midst of my worries that Apple has lost their way (see Tuesday's Event :( ) the air pods are a notable win for function and design, and beat my expectations and many competitors that I have used in the past.

Get some other reviews, and watch the Youtube stuff on any headset you're considering, since I'm just one voice, of course. But I give a firm (and surprising for myself) recommendation for the Apple Airpods.

Hey all,

I'm looking for a pair of wireless earphones and would like some second opinions. So my main contender is the Apple AirPods right now since I have an iPhone, MacBook, and Apple Watch. The AirPods would work seamlessly with all of them, but the downfall is that they could get lost fairly easily due to the size. Does anyone have any suggestions for other potential wireless earphones (under $200)?

Open to all opinions/suggestions!

Thanks!

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |

I am a multi-platform user (I have Windows at home, Mac at school, and Linux at work) That is to say, I'm not a fanboy of any particular brand. However, I spend a LOT of time on the phone. I was a skeptic of Apple's Airpods ("oooh it's shiny and makes a bell sound" :P ) . But when my brother gave me a demo of his, I bought them the same day. Here's why:

• The AirPods work with FindMyiPhone and will help you know where they last were connected to your phone ("did I leave them at work or in the couch?")
  • Each AirPod can (individually) be made to emit a chirp loud enough to be heard through some couch cushions if you lose one.
  • The charging "pod" fits well in the average jean pocket, and allows you to keep one on the charge and one in an ear at nearly all times
  • If using both earpieces for stereo sound, removing one side automatically pauses your media (and starts it again once replaced).
  • (Unlike Linus :) ) I use Siri to do a number of things by simply tapping the earpiece in my ear twice (lightning fast Siri response compared to other headsets)
  • The earpieces them selves are comfortable enough for my big ears that I've often forgotten they were there. (and violent head-shaking still won't dislodge them)
  • The charging pod recharges via lightning cable (like my iPhone)
  • They stay connected to the phone better than most, and (unlike the Plantronics Voyager) they use optical 'in-ear' detection instead of capacitive(?) and don't inexplicably disconnect audio thinking you've removed the headset from your head for no reason.

I am extremely surprised at how much I appreciate several of the AirPods' features. In the midst of my worries that Apple has lost their way (see Tuesday's Event :( ) the air pods are a notable win for function and design, and beat my expectations and many competitors that I have used in the past.

Get some other reviews, and watch the Youtube stuff on any headset you're considering, since I'm just one voice, of course. But I give a firm (and surprising for myself) recommendation for the Apple Airpods.

YMMV but... rumor has it that the AirPods have enough glue poured around the circuitry, that, if you can get the membrane to safely dry, they will survive the inadvertent laundry event. Wouldn't recommend testing it though.

@Eclypseon Thanks for the awesome in-depth info! I'm struggling to find a reason NOT to buy them, but I figured I'd ask before I went and spent the money. I'll probably end up picking some up tomorrow :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X @ 4.7GHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 | Motherboard: X570 I AORUS PRO WIFI | RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB | Case: NCase M1 v6.0 | SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB, 860 Evo 1TB | CPU Cooler: H100i ELITE CAPELLIX | MonitorsLG 27GN950-B 4K 165Hz |

Last comment... "sticky-tack" (the blue stuff holding up grade school hallway posters) works quite well to remove the gunk that builds up on the headsets.

@Eclypseon I picked up the AirPods today and couldn't be happier. I had a few hiccups with connectivity at first, but I found out it was my phone reconnecting to my car's bluetooth even inside! They fit in my ears beautifully, they sound incredible just like the EarPods, and I couldn't be happier. I feel this may be one of Apple's best products in years!