MOBO and RAM Upgrade Question

Hi all,

So, I think I may have made a mistake in ordering upgrades for my PC. I'm pretty new at this.

I've ordered an AB350M PRO4 mobo. I accidentally ordered Ripjaws V 3200 MHz 16GB. I wanted a 2x8 setup. But I figured I'd use it anyways and if it performs slightly worse, so be it.

However, the new mobo user manual says the maximum supported ram frequency is 2400. The board was advertised as 3200+. I feel like I'm missing something here. Can I use the Ripjaws V ram stick? Processor is a Ryzen 1600x.

Thanks so much for the help. Don't want to blow up my new components.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, HPASTA said:

Hi all,

So, I think I may have made a mistake in ordering upgrades for my PC. I'm pretty new at this.

I've ordered an AB350M PRO4 mobo. I accidentally ordered Ripjaws V 3200 MHz 16GB. I wanted a 2x8 setup. But I figured I'd use it anyways and if it performs slightly worse, so be it.

However, the new mobo user manual says the maximum supported ram frequency is 2400. The board was advertised as 3200+. I feel like I'm missing something here. Can I use the Ripjaws V ram stick? Processor is a Ryzen 1600x.

Thanks so much for the help. Don't want to blow up my new components.

Cheers

You'll be able to use the ram, but only at the max frequency the board supports. Maybe the mobo you originally looked at was the wrong model? Or shady business practices...

Just now, Takieght said:

You'll be able to use the ram, but only at the max frequency the board supports. Maybe the mobo you originally looked at was the wrong model? Or shady business practices...

Thanks so much. Reading further it looks like it says Ryzen processors support 3200+(OC). Not the board itself.

The board will more than likely support higher than 2400, just enable XMP and give it a shot when the parts arrive.

I think you've misread the specs though. "Supports DDR4 3200+ (OC) (Ryzen CPU) / 2400 (A-series APU)" Means that with Ryzen it can support up to 3200mhz, but with the APU's it'd only support 2400mhz.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

The board will more than likely support higher than 2400, just enable XMP and give it a shot when the parts arrive.

Thank you so much! I now understand that 2400 is the base.