First things first, here is my setup:

• Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
  • MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon
  • i7-7700K
  • ASUS ROG Strix 1080/ZOTAC 1070 Amp! Extreme Edition <-- I'll get to that
  • 2x960 Evo in RAID 0 (don' judge :P)
  • Crucial MX300
  • The problem drive: SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

I tried upgrading to a 1080 yesterday, but ran into problems straight away. After I installed the new card and tried turning on the system it took ages to boot. Screen stayed black and the VGA-debug LED on the mainboard did light up. Eventually, after like 3 minutes I'd say, it reached the login screen. I tried turning it on with the old gpu - same problem.

Of course since it was a new card, I thought that was the problem. It took while unitl I realized (by accident) that my SanDisk SSD does not show up. After disconnecting the SATA cable the system turned on as fast and without problems as usual.

Now I'm a bit confused. If the SSD was the problem why did the VGA debug-LED light up. Especially since I swapped gpus...seems too unlikely to be a coincidence...

What do you guys say? Could it be that I damaged the motherboard while installing the new card? I honestly doubt that but who knows...

PS: I tried other SATA ports of course ;)

5 minutes ago, O Neill said:

Hi guys,

First things first, here is my setup:

• Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
  • MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon
  • i7-7700K
  • ASUS ROG Strix 1080/ZOTAC 1070 Amp! Extreme Edition <-- I'll get to that
  • 2x960 Evo in RAID 0 (don' judge :P)
  • Crucial MX300
  • The problem drive: SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

I tried upgrading to a 1080 yesterday, but ran into problems straight away. After I installed the new card and tried turning on the system it took ages to boot. Screen stayed black and the VGA-debug LED on the mainboard did light up. Eventually, after like 3 minutes I'd say, it reached the login screen. I tried turning it on with the old gpu - same problem.

Of course since it was a new card, I thought that was the problem. It took while unitl I realized (by accident) that my SanDisk SSD does not show up. After disconnecting the SATA cable the system turned on as fast and without problems as usual.

Now I'm a bit confused. If the SSD was the problem why did the VGA debug-LED light up. Especially since I swapped gpus...seems too unlikely to be a coincidence...

What do you guys say? Could it be that I damaged the motherboard while installing the new card? I honestly doubt that but who knows...

PS: I tried other SATA ports of course ;)

I think ive seen stuff on this. I believe (please continue to research before doing so), but if you cycle power every 30 minutes for 3 or 4 ours, i think it will work. this usually "stop working" when there is a power surge that happens.

i like trains 🙂

In any case, the SSD seems kinda dead...I tried using a SATA to USB adapter. I do hear the Windows connection sound but it does not show up in the explorer. Think I'll have to RMA it...

IS this SSD new as well ?  .. Your first problem sounds like a "loose" sata cable .. I would try reseating all your sata cables . Try formatting the drive (again).?

Strangel problems can occur if any of your Cabels are loose .. and after faffing about its easy to knock the cables and heat expansion can do the rest (intermittent problems)

1 hour ago, Ron1999 said:

IS this SSD new as well ?  .. Your first problem sounds like a "loose" sata cable .. I would try reseating all your sata cables . Try formatting the drive (again).?

Strangel problems can occur if any of your Cabels are loose .. and after faffing about its easy to knock the cables and heat expansion can do the rest (intermittent problems)

Well, it' relatively new, had it since February. I already checked all the sata cables and didn't seem like anything is off. The system boots normally when the SSD is unpluged. As mentioned before I tried conecting (to another pc) with a sata to usb adapter and it does not show up. I just hear the sound that a device was connected.

In the end, when you touch the SanDisk SSD you already feel that it is a cheap piece of plastic...

I really wouldn't worry about the outside of the case as it does nothing except protect the innards , a bit like a penguins skin, Expensive outside means they have skimped on the inside?

Try in another PC and maybe try on a Linux PC just in case .. all else fails , get warranty replacement.

Do you go into disk management  to see if it registers/shows there ?