magnetic side panel

zackie

Hi guys! i have some question hope you can help me. i'm planning to put acrylic side panel into my case. and i will not drill my case instead i'm using 4 8mm neodymium magnets. i will put it in 4 corners of the acrylic. but my friend told me that it will damage my hard drive. i'm no expert and this is the first time i'm doing it. so it is possible to damage my hard drive if i use 8mm neodymium magnets? 

magnet's and hard drives don't mix well. Ever wonder why you never see magnets on a case's design.

HDD's use magnets to Read and Write, see the confliction? 

6 minutes ago, tekgeek1205 said:

-snip- 

That's not exactly true, plenty of cases use magnets. They have them on air filters, primarily, among other uses. Personally, I don't think exterior mounted magnets would be an issue, so long as the HDD isn't butted right up against it.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

You'll probably be fine but I'd get smaller magnets as 4 8mm ones will be very overkill for a sheet of acrylic (btw have you worked with it before? It's the worst....) 

Very weak magnets such as that of your screw drive, or ones used to hold on dust filters are fine. Just don't go putting it directly on top or something.

I don't know the strength of the magnets you plan to use, but to ensure no damage then don't use them. If you do plan to use them anyway, keep them far away from where your HDDs are stored in your case if possible.

just buy the magnets an try it. it will only damage data not the drive. just back up before you do it. If you have problems, get the drill out. 

its 4-5 inch away from my drive if i used it. or should i used 3? i will put it in 3 corners so no one near my hard drive. will it be safe? 

6 hours ago, zackie said:

its 4-5 inch away from my drive if i used it. or should i used 3? i will put it in 3 corners so no one near my hard drive. will it be safe? 

dont stick the magnet directly to your harddrive, and you'll be perfectly fine.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

or 3m tape is a viable option if you're really worried, paul did a good video on window mod 

Specs: Amd 1700x | NH-u12s | Asus crosshair hero vi | 2x8g Gskill flare x | Zotac 1080 | Samsung 960 EVO | Seasonic ssr-750GD | Thermaltake core x5 |

23 hours ago, zackie said:

Hi guys! i have some question hope you can help me. i'm planning to put acrylic side panel into my case. and i will not drill my case instead i'm using 4 8mm neodymium magnets. i will put it in 4 corners of the acrylic. but my friend told me that it will damage my hard drive. i'm no expert and this is the first time i'm doing it. so it is possible to damage my hard drive if i use 8mm neodymium magnets? 

It's not a problem as said I would suggest to use matching magnets to ensure the panel is securely mounted. 

-Moved to Modding Section- 

Heya zackie

Ive done this mod a few times. With speaker grills and with side and top panels....  Your recessing holes/groves into your plex panel then gluing the magnets so they will sit flush?

Then they will stick to your case frame....  just the 4? for a full side window? I'm hoping your side panel with be only 2-3mm thick? Ive never had much luck with 4 magnets on a full window.  I usually use 4-8mm perspex clear and tinted and needed way more then just 4.

I think Bill Owen did one recently as well and im sure he used a really thin panel to get this to work.

Cheers D.

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 9:09 PM, Defyant said:

Heya zackie

Ive done this mod a few times. With speaker grills and with side and top panels....  Your recessing holes/groves into your plex panel then gluing the magnets so they will sit flush?

Then they will stick to your case frame....  just the 4? for a full side window? I'm hoping your side panel with be only 2-3mm thick? Ive never had much luck with 4 magnets on a full window.  I usually use 4-8mm perspex clear and tinted and needed way more then just 4.

I think Bill Owen did one recently as well and im sure he used a really thin panel to get this to work.

Cheers D.

I already finished my side panel, and your right 4 magnet is not enough. So i ended up using 8 8mm magnet just to hold the sheet in place. And so far so good no problem at all. Im happy with the outcome. And no need to put holes or groves into the sheet i used 8mm x 1mm neodymium magnets its so thin no need to put groves.

Great to hear mate :) post some piccys threads like this are good reference material for others thinking to do the same.

23 hours ago, zackie said:

I already finished my side panel, and your right 4 magnet is not enough. So i ended up using 8 8mm magnet just to hold the sheet in place. And so far so good no problem at all. Im happy with the outcome. And no need to put holes or groves into the sheet i used 8mm x 1mm neodymium magnets its so thin no need to put groves.

14 hours ago, Defyant said:

Great to hear mate :) post some piccys threads like this are good reference material for others thinking to do the same.

No graphics card yet, im planning to buy 1080ti by end of the month. And the spray i used in the sheet is glossy which doesnt match with the case but no nbig deal for me.

IMG_20170915_165354.jpg