KDE taking long time to write to NTFS flash drive

Whenever I'm moving a file or copying a file to my flash drive that uses NTFS it always takes a long time like hours. And whenever it's done and I put it in my Windows computer and run check disk it always spits out a whole bunch of connecting error in index for file and recovering orphaned file. Can someone help or explain why this is happening?

Brah, do you even Java?

Well, it sounds like the drive is failing... slow writes and errors?  Yeah.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

40 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well, it sounds like the drive is failing... slow writes and errors?  Yeah.

The drive not failing I know that because every other operating system can read from and write to this drive without any errors occurring.

Edited by Tech N Gamer
Text to speech is a bitch

Brah, do you even Java?

6 minutes ago, Tech N Gamer said:

The dries not failing I know that because every other operating system can read from and write to this drive without any errors occurring.

But do they write at full speed?  It's possible they're just not detecting whatever Windows is and not giving the message, since those aren't an actual health check of the drive or partition like SMART info would be, it's just some proprietary Windows check that does who knows what and in my experience has been far too sensitive.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

20 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

But do they write at full speed?  It's possible they're just not detecting whatever Windows is and not giving the message, since those aren't an actual health check of the drive or partition like SMART info would be, it's just some proprietary Windows check that does who knows what and in my experience has been far too sensitive.

On Windows, yes. It copies at it's normal speed. On KDE however, it wrights slow af. 200KB/s on KDE and on Windows ~30MB/s

Brah, do you even Java?

6 minutes ago, Tech N Gamer said:

On Windows, yes. It copies at it's normal speed. On KDE however, it wrights slow af. 200KB/s on KDE and on Windows ~30MB/s

You keep saying "on KDE"... have you tried other desktop environments?  Do they have the same issue?  I would suspect they would since it's up to the OS to handle these sort of things and the DE is little more than a skin for all intents and purposes here, but it might be worth a try.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You keep saying "on KDE"... have you tried other desktop environments?  Do they have the same issue?  I would suspect they would since it's up to the OS to handle these sort of things and the DE is little more than a skin for all intents and purposes here, but it might be worth a try.

Just tested that and yes, other distros are having slow read and writes.

Brah, do you even Java?

1 minute ago, Tech N Gamer said:

Do you have the option to reformat the drive, or would that be a huge pain?  I just can't think of any reason Linux would be having IO issues when Windows does not.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Do you have the option to reformat the drive, or would that be a huge pain?  I just can't think of any reason Linux would be having IO issues when Windows does not.

I'll be trying that soon. I'm backing up the contents atm before the reformate.

Brah, do you even Java?

3 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yes, wait, nope. Worked for like a few seconds, then went back to 160KB/s.

Edited by Tech N Gamer
That's where it's at now.

Brah, do you even Java?

Your DE shouldn't have anything to do with this.

3 hours ago, Tech N Gamer said:

In case you don't know, distros and DEs are not the same. A distro can include a DE. A DE is just the shell you interact with and a frontend to many parts of your system.

4 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

Your DE shouldn't have anything to do with this.

In case you don't know, distros and DEs are not the same. A distro can include a DE. A DE is just the shell you interact with and a frontend to many parts of your system.

Well, either way, if other distro's are having issues writing/reading, and even the linux command line, then it's probably something to do with Linux. Right?

Brah, do you even Java?

Just now, Tech N Gamer said:

Well, either way, if other distro's are having issues writing/reading, and even the linux command line, then it's probably something to do with Linux. Right?

Yes, probably.

Why did you format your flash drive as NTFS and not exFAT?

16 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

Yes, probably.

Why did you format your flash drive as NTFS and not exFAT?

1. I needed to use the Live File Compression so that way I could fit some large ass files onto my flash drive so I didn't have to waste long ass times extracting them.
  2. I needed to be able to place files bigger than 4GB (yes I know exFAT can have files bigger than 4GB, I'm just listing why I formatted as NTFS)
  3. I've had many issues using exFAT between devices.

As an example of num 3. I have a Mac VM on my Windows Computer. When I have something on my flash drive that I needed to move on to the VM, the Mac VM wouldn't recognize the partition at all. The device yes, the partition, no.

Brah, do you even Java?