Need help chosing headphones (and mic)

Hello LTT community!

I have an interest in the SHURE SRH440 (upgrading to the fabric cups because of the heat generated by the pho-leather). With this solution I will need to buy the cups, a mic splitter, and a mic (or just a mic with an in-line splitter). However, the Plantronics RIG 400HS has the microphone and the padding already but has cables on both ears, which I severely dislike. I currently have the AKG Y50's but the on-ear (supraaural) design which leads to me having migraines while using them for more than two hours at a time. Instead, the SHURE and Plantronics are circumaural headphones (aka: over-ear) which will be far more comfortable over longer sessions whatever I may be doing.

So I pretty much have decided (unless someone wants to change my mind) on going with the SHURE, however I am at a brick wall because while I want good audio quality, it's hard for me to know what microphones could work with this headset. A cheap solution would just run a cheap lav mic down to a splitter through the headphone cable. However I understand that this has several constraints including audio degradation, hissing, and simply sounding quiet. So I was looking into cheaper solutions like the Mod Mic and found the V-Moda Boom Pro and the V-Moda SpeakEasy Mic Cable.

So... Will either work with the SHURE or am I S.O.L.? Thanks for anyone who replies!

Edited by wolfboytech
fixed formating

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

1 minute ago, Max_Settings said:

So you are looking for a gaming headset? And what's your budget?

Firstly thanks for the reply.While I don't care about "gaming" features, yes, you could say I am looking for a gaming headset. Used versions of both of the above listed headsets are $35 so my budget is around that  (not including additional things like adapters and ear pads, etc.).

Mainline: MacBook Air M1 Display(s): Acer K272HUL; VIOTEK - GNV32DB Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech M720/K780 Sound: AirPods 3 Operating System: MacOS Phone: iPhone 13 Pro (Graphite)

UPDATE: Alrighty I am a stupid human being. I just looked at some images of the "locking cable" and I see that it is a 2.5mm adapter, however I also see that my headphones (the aforementioned AKG Y50's) also have a connector like this. So I will go with the SHURE for their longer-lasting lifespan and more professional feel and attempt to use my AKG cable. I will update this with any information as I accrue it.

Thanks for your help @Max_Settings

• 3 years later...

Hey so what did you end up doing? I'm also looking at combining Shure SRH440 with a V-Moda boom pro mic, but I'm unsure if with an adapter 2.5mm to 3.5mm would fit in.