power surge killed everything

I a power surge and it killed my entire system CPU, Power supply, motherboard, graphics card and my UPS only thing that survived was the hard drives. The weird thing is that my UPS and power supply are supposed to safeguard against power surges. I was not running cheap components I Was running a $200 UPS and a Coolermaster power supply. Would the manufacturers cover the damage to the components since their safeguards failed? I really need some help it was an expensive system.

Asus crosshair hero VI  Gtx 1080ti  Ryzen 1700 16gb 3200mhz trident z RGB ram custom watercooled loop

It really depends on what has caused the surge and which component actually failed.

I suggest you contact all of the manufacturers that the hardware is from and also the retailer you bought it from.

Try to get it replaced. As long as you're nice to them, they will help you :)

Are you 100% sure that it is all dead?

Which manufacturer's? The UPS? Ones? If UPS then yeah: The power surge killed a system which was supposed to be protected against it. Ask for a mobo,cpu,ram and gpu or the cost of it.

5 minutes ago, demonkoi said:

I a power surge and it killed my entire system CPU, Power supply, motherboard, graphics card and my UPS only thing that survived was the hard drives. The weird thing is that my UPS and power supply are supposed to safeguard against power surges. I was not running cheap components I Was running a $200 UPS and a Coolermaster power supply. Would the manufacturers cover the damage to the components since their safeguards failed? I really need some help it was an expensive system.

$200 isn't very much for a UPS, the 2nd hand battery backed up ones I use on my servers had a RRP of $10,000 back in 2008 when they where new, I got the two I have now last year for about €230 each..... I've never heard of a power surge bad enough to do that though. What country are you in and whats the nominal voltage? 

What PSU was it? Cooler master has a lot of different ones, but sadly I don't think power surges are covered. 

Yours faithfully

8 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

$200 isn't very much for a UPS, the 2nd hand battery backed up ones I use on my servers had a RRP of $10,000 back in 2008 when they where new, I got the two I have now last year for about €230 each..... I've never heard of a power surge bad enough to do that though. What country are you in and whats the nominal voltage? 

What PSU was it? Cooler master has a lot of different ones, but sadly I don't think power surges are covered. 

I'm in South Africa our voltage is 220V. The building is very old so the circuit breaker looks like it is 50 years old so maybe it was such a big surge due to a bad circuit board.

Asus crosshair hero VI  Gtx 1080ti  Ryzen 1700 16gb 3200mhz trident z RGB ram custom watercooled loop

Just now, demonkoi said:

I'm in South Africa our voltage is 220V. The building is very old so the circuit breaker looks like it is 50 years old so maybe it was such a big surge due to a bad circuit board.

Wow, 220V. Since that circut breaker was like 50yr old and then the power surge... I am no electrisist though, my dad studied all that and as for the present, he hasn't been using those studies.

Theoretically the power distributor is your first stop.

Don't know how it works there, but in some places you can ask for payment to cover replacement parts that were damaged in the surge.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Thanks guys for all the help. 

My $200 Cyber Power UPS claims to have a "$500.000 connected equipment guarantee" so definitely see if yours has something similar.

42 minutes ago, demonkoi said:

Sweet, my local power is 238-245v but I've clocked it as high as 260 on occasions, depends on the load. A circuit breaker only breaks over current loads, a MOV is what is used to quench a power surge and voltage spikes along with chokes and capacitors for smoothing of the sine wave from RF interfence, all of which should be present. A UPS should have an active version of this, but my bets would be that went nuclear and took the rest with it, I doubt it was a power surge, unless you got like a full 11kv blast, but then you'd be cleaning bits of UPS from your room and pulling bits of it out of the wall. 

Particularly in less developed counties (especially from that time period too) the electrical integrity can be pretty dubious at best, I'd advise to have the rebuilding completely rewired with current technologies. 

Yours faithfully

Those "connected equipment guarantees"  don't mean anything if you don't fill out the paperwork.

Seeing how you don't know if you actually have the guarantee or not, you probably didn't fill out the paperwork, so you're out of luck.

All those guarantees are are insurance policies that the manufacturers fund.  Fill out the forms AFTER THE FACT is like trying to sign up for flood insurance after you've flooded.

And it doesn't matter how good your PSU is.... a PSU is only going to clamp smaller surge.  If this was a surge that could kill a UPS and a surge strip, no PSU would stand a chance.