Game capture affect on CPU

Hi there, I was going to help a friend part out a new pc and he probably won't want to overclock unless I really really push him so right now it's pretty much between the I5 7600k and the ryzen 1600, which without an overclock the 7600k would probably beat in most games.

Where the question above comes into play as that he likes to use plays TV to capture game moments and even though it uses Hardware encoding on a R9 390x, I was wondering if there's still enough of a CPU overhead that the 1600 would in the end still perform better.

I know the advantages and disadvantages of both, I'm just purely curious about if at their stock speeds the performance impact of using a program such as plays TV would bring the 1600 out on top of the 7600k even when using Hardware encoding.

Thanks,

Jake

Hardware encoding really has such a light load on the CPU that I don't think it's going to be the deciding factor in this situation. Though if he went with the Ryzen CPU, he could probably start using software encoding (for the better image quality) since those 8 extra threads on the 1600 would be pretty capable of handling that. So I think that's the core decision he needs to make. If he plans to stick with hardware encoding, then there's really no relative difference between the two.

Using hardware encoding will have little to no impact on the CPU as it'll use the GPU's built-in video encoder to deal with that.

If you use software encoding, you can force the video to be encoded using four threads (two cores and two threads) and you'll likely still have overhead for playing what you want on the R5.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

2 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Using hardware encoding will have little to no impact on the CPU as it'll use the GPU's built-in video encoder to deal with that.

If you use software encoding, you can force the video to be encoded using four threads (two cores and two threads) and you'll likely still have overhead for playing what you want on the R5.

Alright, thanks. I think I'm just gonna peer pressure him to oc. I just use tyzen master so I can keep my 1700 at stock when not gaming, and then crank it up when needed.

22 minutes ago, Snakester15 said:

Alright, thanks. I think I'm just gonna peer pressure him to oc. I just use tyzen master so I can keep my 1700 at stock when not gaming, and then crank it up when needed.

That's exactly what I do.

However, a best of both worlds would be, if you game at 1080P, using the Elgato HD60Pro capture card.

You can look HDMI output through the HD60pro and out to your monitor.

That way you have a true H.264 encoder processing everything with the quality you want.

I have one, but I am currently not using it as I am in the middle of an RMA, since there is an issue with them with Ryzen boards.

They need to ship me a new card with the latest firmware in order to make it work.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard