Graphics Card No Longer Recognized by Computer

Hey all,

So here's the story: I put my computer to sleep because I had to go out for a while. I came back and tried to wake my computer up from sleep mode. However, my monitors would never wake up; they could not find a signal from my PC. It must be my graphics card, then, since the VGA port on my motherboard I/O works. The power light and fan on the graphics card are still functional, though. Device manager shows Intel HD Graphics as the only display adapter, as well.

-What I've already tried:

1) Reseating the card.

2) Clearing the CMOS through the jumper. (I haven't tried replacing the battery)

Has my graphics card died, or has something else bizarre happened? Do you think replacing the battery on the motherboard would work?

Any help is welcome. Thanks.

3 minutes ago, 1Reshiram12 said:

If you have another connector that you can use, try that. Maybe the VGA port is dead?

I had my primary monitor plugged into the HDMI port on the graphics card and my secondary monitor plugged into a VGA-to-DVI converter which is then plugged into the DVI port on the graphics card. The VGA port on the motherboard is the only thing that works since the graphics card isn't being recognized, so I have my secondary monitor plugged into that now.

I can't possibly imagine both the ports died simultaneously.

13 hours ago, Kyle8497 said:

Hey all,

So here's the story: I put my computer to sleep because I had to go out for a while. I came back and tried to wake my computer up from sleep mode. However, my monitors would never wake up; they could not find a signal from my PC. It must be my graphics card, then, since the VGA port on my motherboard I/O works. The power light and fan on the graphics card are still functional, though. Device manager shows Intel HD Graphics as the only display adapter, as well.

-What I've already tried:

1) Reseating the card.

2) Clearing the CMOS through the jumper. (I haven't tried replacing the battery)

Has my graphics card died, or has something else bizarre happened? Do you think replacing the battery on the motherboard would work?

Any help is welcome. Thanks.

Please fix your post for night theme users. Edit your post, highlight your text, click the "Remove Format" button located just left of the size dropdown box.

On Topic: Sleep mode often causes problems for people so I would disable it and recommend just turning the screen off.

As for your graphics card, it is likely that nothing is wrong with it, and that this is a software issue. Please try the following so we can test this theory.

1. Download Display Driver Uninstaller (link)
  2. Turn off computer
  3. Remove graphics card
  4. Boot into safe mode
  5. Run Display Driver Uninstaller -> Clean and Shut Down
  6. Re-install graphics card
  7. Log into Windows normally
  8. Download the latest driver from AMD/nvidia
  9. Install driver
  10. Restart computer
  11. Check device manager after log in

Let us know how this goes.

Edited by TBA
Added link to DDU

Please quote or mention me if you would like a timely reply. Thank you!

3 hours ago, TBA said:

Please fix your post for night theme users. Edit your post, highlight your text, click the "Remove Format" button located just left of the size dropdown box.

On Topic: Sleep mode often causes problems for people so I would disable it and recommend just turning the screen off.

As for your graphics card, it is likely that nothing is wrong with it, and that this is a software issue. Please try the following so we can test this theory.

1. Download Display Driver Uninstaller (link)
  2. Turn off computer
  3. Remove graphics card
  4. Boot into safe mode
  5. Run Display Driver Uninstaller -> Clean and Shut Down
  6. Re-install graphics card
  7. Log into Windows normally
  8. Download the latest driver from AMD/nvidia
  9. Install driver
  10. Restart computer
  11. Check device manager after log in

Let us know how this goes.

I did everything you said to up until step 9 where the driver installer said, "Error 173 - AMD Installer cannot continue since AMD graphics hardware was not found."

Have you tried different PCI-E slots?

15 minutes ago, TBA said:

Have you tried different PCI-E lanes?

I only have one.

Please fix your post for night theme users. Edit your post, highlight your text, click the "Remove Format" button located just left of the size drop-down box.

On topic: What graphics card do you have?

Have you attempted a System Restore to before this issue occurred?

2 minutes ago, TBA said:

Please fix your post for night theme users. Edit your post, highlight your text, click the "Remove Format" button located just left of the size drop-down box.

On topic: What graphics card do you have?

Have you attempted a System Restore to before this issue occurred?

ASUS Radeon HD 7770 1GB GHz-Edition.

No, I haven't conducted a system restore. I wouldn't know which to restore it to since the thing that caused it to malfunction was sleep mode.

But I supposed I could pick a restore point that I think is the best option...

I'll try that.

EDIT: Never mind, there isn't a restore point before the problem occurred.

I found what might be a solution. It could be that your card isn't being detected properly in Windows.

Can you try showing hidden devices in Device Manager?

If you see a device listed as your AMD card showing as not connected try to uninstall it and then try the driver setup again.

Sorry for the slow reply. I was out getting lunch.

1 minute ago, TBA said:

I found what might be a solution. It could be that your card isn't being detected properly in Windows.

Can you try showing hidden devices in Device Manager?

Sorry for the slow reply. I was out getting lunch.

All right, that it made it appear on the list again. However, its device status in properties shows message "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45). To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer." The graphics card is currently fully hooked up to my computer, though.

See my above post as it was edited before you replied. Try to uninstall the listing and restart your computer then try the driver installer again.

13 minutes ago, TBA said:

See my above post as it was edited before you replied. Try to uninstall the listing and restart your computer then try the driver installer again.

I right-clicked uninstalled it, checked the 'remove driver' check box, and hit confirm. I restarted my PC, attempted to install the latest driver, and it gave me "Error 173 - AMD Installer cannot continue since AMD graphics hardware was not found" again.

Did you check if the device is showing up in device manager again?

Just now, TBA said:

Did you check if the device is showing up in device manager again?

It's not there, even with hidden devices enabled.

At this point I am wondering if it died. Try a re-seat one more time and if that doesn't work, it might be that it has died. I get the feeling it isn't dead, and I am forgetting something though. I'll PM you if I think of anything else. 

Sorry about that.