Linux and mac user here, is there any way I can customize terminal using the color palette of "monokai"?

Go to solution Solved by noahdvs,

Keep in mind that a 256 color terminal does not have 256 intensities for each color, but rather 256 colors in total and each one is represented by a single integer. 0 is black and 255 is white with all the other colors in between. It's entirely possible that you won't be able to perfectly replicate the Monokai theme due to the lack of colors.

I can't help you with your Mac problem, but since you're interested in Linux, Konsole and GNOME Terminal both allow you to customize colors via a GUI and you can use 24bit colors.

I do not want to use other terminal software to customize it. Like iterm 2 etc. 

I am using a mac. I just want my terminal's color theme match the color theme of monokai. 

https://tmtheme-editor.herokuapp.com/#!/editor/theme/Monokai 

I've seen some youtube tutorial and someone suggested this: 

orange=$(tput setaf 166);
yellow=$(tput setaf 288);
green=$(tput setaf 71);
white=$(tput setaf 15);
bold=$(tput setaf bold);
reset=$(tput setaf sgr0);

PS1="\[${bold}\]\n";
PS1+="\[${orange}\]\u";
PS1+="\[${white}\] at ";
PS1+="\[${yellow}\]\h";
PS1+="\[${white}\] in ";
PS1+="\[${green}\]\W";
PS1+="\n";
PS1+="\[${white}\]\$ \[${reset}\]";
export PS1;

But I have to use 256 color.. and I can't find the color that represent #F92672. 

Does linux's terminal works the same way as mac's??? :/

Where can I find some tutorials videos about this kind of thing?? 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

2 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I do not want to use other terminal software to customize it. Like iterm 2 etc. 

I am using a mac. I just want my terminal's color theme match the color theme of monokai. 

https://tmtheme-editor.herokuapp.com/#!/editor/theme/Monokai 

I've seen some youtube tutorial and someone suggested this: 

orange=$(tput setaf 166);
yellow=$(tput setaf 288);
green=$(tput setaf 71);
white=$(tput setaf 15);
bold=$(tput setaf bold);
reset=$(tput setaf sgr0);

PS1="\[${bold}\]\n";
PS1+="\[${orange}\]\u";
PS1+="\[${white}\] at ";
PS1+="\[${yellow}\]\h";
PS1+="\[${white}\] in ";
PS1+="\[${green}\]\W";
PS1+="\n";
PS1+="\[${white}\]\$ \[${reset}\]";
export PS1;

But I have to use 256 color.. and I can't find the color that represent #F92672. 

Does linux's terminal works the same way as mac's??? :/

Where can I find some tutorials videos about this kind of thing?? 

Have a look at this possibly? https://github.com/lysyi3m/osx-terminal-themes

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

Hmmm dont have monokai there. 

I just want my terminal looks like sublime text (boxy monokai) theme.... :P

I was look at the part that says "Convert iTerm 2 Color Scheme" when you scroll down. Figured that'd work if you got the ITerm 2 theme.

Just now, AustinJ said:

I was look at the part that says "Convert iTerm 2 Color Scheme" when you scroll down. Figured that'd work if you got the ITerm 2 theme.

Yeah they dont have the theme I wanted. 

1 minute ago, AustinJ said:

Can you get the theme here https://github.com/mbadolato/iTerm2-Color-Schemes and use the tool I linked earlier to convert to a mac terminal theme?

Yes I can,. But the iterm theme they provided does not appeal to me. 

I will find something else. Thanks! 

1 minute ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Yes I can,. But the iterm theme they provided does not appeal to me. 

I will find something else. Thanks! 

Themes are very important to get right :) I ended up making my own theme for gedit to get it just right. Linux ofc though

Just now, AustinJ said:

Themes are very important to get right :) I ended up making my own theme for gedit to get it just right. Linux ofc though

It is! xD Linux looks like a lot of fun! I might installing it via VM or bootcamp later! 

It is! xD Linux looks like a lot of fun! I might installing it via VM or bootcamp later! 

Linux is a solid choice these days. Especially if you are a developer things will be a bit more friendly. Gaming is a best yet though, but a Windows VM does the trick for me. Wiped windows off my machine 6-7 years ago haven't regretted the decision.

Just now, AustinJ said:

Linux is a solid choice these days. Especially if you are a developer things will be a bit more friendly. Gaming is a best yet though, but a Windows VM does the trick for me. Wiped windows off my machine 6-7 years ago haven't regretted the decision.

I found myself too deep into macOS xD Linux is great too! 

I found myself too deep into macOS xD Linux is great too! 

Haven't used a mac but I'd assume the experience is better than windows. I mean have you used windows 10? That is a joke.

you probably need to type: 

export CLICOLOR=1 in your .bash_profile as well.. or else the theme won't show up in terminal (my experience)

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

5 minutes ago, AustinJ said:

=

Yeah I think linux and mac user can never got used to windows. Just like windows users can never got used to linux and macOS. 

I used to use a lot of windows, however during the last few years of my life I realised that gaming isn't doing the trick for me anymore... And I started game less and less. Until one point my desktop is literally sitting there collecting dust, and I rather use my old ass 2012 non retina macbook pro than using my i7 windows pc for everyday tasks. Then i thought, that's it I am selling it. I sold the whole system piece by piece for about $1000 then I sold my macbook pro for like $500 and bought a 2017 macbook pro (13inch non touchbar one).

I think linux is even more command line based. On mac for everyday tasks I don't have to touch terminal. But linux is diff. 

About windows 10... It is good, but for gaming only.. at least that's what I thought. If I don't game, I have no idea why I should touch windows ever... 

13 minutes ago, AustinJ said:

Care to post an image of your desktop? xD 

2 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Yeah I think linux and mac user can never got used to windows. Just like windows users can never got used to linux and macOS. 

You don't find a lot of people who build their own computational tools primarily use windows in my experience.  There is this myth that people who use macOSX are less "techy/knowledgeable", but in all my years (PhD program, think tanks, tech companies) i've always seen more apple and linux computers than windows. 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

5 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I used to use a lot of windows, however during the last few years of my life I realised that gaming isn't doing the trick for me anymore... And I started game less and less. Until one point my desktop is literally sitting there collecting dust, and I rather use my old ass 2012 non retina macbook pro than using my i7 windows pc for everyday tasks. Then i thought, that's it I am selling it. I sold the whole system piece by piece for about $1000 then I sold my macbook pro for like $500 and bought a 2017 macbook pro (13inch non touchbar one).

I think linux is even more command line based. On mac for everyday tasks I don't have to touch terminal. But linux is diff. 

About windows 10... It is good, but for gaming only.. at least that's what I thought. If I don't game, I have no idea why I should touch windows ever... 

Care to post an image of your desktop? xD 

I used windows for some time in my early years. Ages 5-14 probably. 22 currently. Linux was just a better experience. Especially since I was heavy into modding my desktop with custom themes and things. My linux desktop is awfully boring though... Openbox and tint2 with clearlooks window theme and arc gtk theme. Gets the job done and is out of my way.

Spoiler

desktop.png

Just now, NeoZeon said:

There is this myth that people who use macOSX are less "techy/knowledgeable"

Everything about LTT forum is great. People are friendly, the answers are always helpful. And during the years it had been helping me building my own pc. 

The only thing I can't stand is the apple hate... I think that belief is only exist in people who "build their 1st pc" and "so damn proud of themselves".  The reason the myth is well spread is because PC fans believe that everyone should has some sort of knowledge about the hardware they are getting and how much they are paying for it. A.K.A price/performance ratio. And they believe that the only knowledge when it comes to computers are these knowledge. Therefore mac user "are getting ripped off", "apple is producing overpriced products" etc. 

It is time for us to drop "who has the better tool" contest and see what can you do with it. 

I think that during all those conferences you go through, no one is yelling "PC FTW" or "ALL HAIL STEVE JOBS". At least when I went to some coding camp, no one gives a shit about what laptop you are using... just debugging and more often than not, learning programming.

I have a macbook pro that I primarily using for programming and other daily tasks I need to do.. Is it perfect? Hell no. Am I enjoying using it? Hell yeah. 

When you hit a certain age you stop seeing things as black and white. And you let go of the belief that "if I don't like onion, whoever does is a dumbass". 

-

Os's and hardware are just other tools. If the tool gets the job done does it matter? Sure some tools are better than others and you are more comfortable with some tools than others. Use what works best for you.

Keep in mind that a 256 color terminal does not have 256 intensities for each color, but rather 256 colors in total and each one is represented by a single integer. 0 is black and 255 is white with all the other colors in between. It's entirely possible that you won't be able to perfectly replicate the Monokai theme due to the lack of colors.

I can't help you with your Mac problem, but since you're interested in Linux, Konsole and GNOME Terminal both allow you to customize colors via a GUI and you can use 24bit colors.

1 minute ago, noahdvs said:

It's entirely possible that you won't be able to perfectly replicate the Monokai theme due to the lack of colors.

That's the thing I am worried about. Thanks for making it clear for me. 

Also, if you really want to customize your terminal, you should use a theme like Powerlevel9k. It's pretty, you've got tons of options and you can edit it to use whatever colors you want for each part.

2 minutes ago, noahdvs said:

Also, if you really want to customize your terminal, you should use a theme like Powerlevel9k. It's pretty, you've got tons of options and you can edit it to use whatever colors you want for each part.

I will definitely look into it. For now I don't even know the diff between zsh and bash. And which one is better... im still new to terminal and all the command I need to use.. :P

I will definitely look into it. For now I don't even know the diff between zsh and bash. And which one is better... im still new to terminal and all the command I need to use.. :P

Zsh is better if you want to customize and is backwards compatible with Bash. You can get tab completion, you can get autosuggestions while you're typing (based on history) and syntax highlighting.

Since you're also interested in learning to use a terminal, check out https://linuxjourney.com/

A good portion of the information will mostly work for MacOS as well. Once you start learning about how to do piping, you'll realize how useful the terminal can be. It's not as intuitive as a GUI, but with a GUI program, you may be completely dependent on its developer(s) to give you the features you need. With the terminal, each tool can be pretty limited individually, but you have a full toolbox when you combine them with pipes.