Possible New Ryzen Build

tgrachan

After debating back and forth between upgrading my current system and just selling it to start over with a new setup I think I have decided to start over and build a new pc.

I'm in the US and I'm trying to stay under $1,000.00. The main use of the system will be for photo and video editing but some gaming as well. I am currently running 2 24" 1080p monitors and I already have all of the other peripherals that I will need. I'm currently running an AMD 6300 setup and I'm trying to get a little bit better performance especially on the video editing.

I put the link to the parts I'm thinking about getting below. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fKgHHN

not bad, but i'd spend more for a 240gb 850 evo. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

a few slight changes:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($197.28 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($73.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($130.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.99 @ B&H) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card  ($274.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Aerocool - Aero-300 Black FAW ATX Mid Tower Case  ($51.49 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $938.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-31 08:21 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

20 minutes ago, tgrachan said:

After debating back and forth between upgrading my current system and just selling it to start over with a new setup I think I have decided to start over and build a new pc.

I'm in the US and I'm trying to stay under $1,000.00. The main use of the system will be for photo and video editing but some gaming as well. I am currently running 2 24" 1080p monitors and I already have all of the other peripherals that I will need. I'm currently running an AMD 6300 setup and I'm trying to get a little bit better performance especially on the video editing.

I put the link to the parts I'm thinking about getting below. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fKgHHN

Looks similar to my own build which I'm very happy with.  I went with the Ripjaws V 3000MHz kit, currently have it clocked at 3200 (16.18.18.38.CR1 at 1.4v).  While I'm satisfied with the ram, it is Hynix M-Die, so I think I got lucky with compatibility.  The latest AGESA code added greater support for Hynix chips, but I wish I could go back and spend a bit more (now that I've done more research) and purchase a CL14 3200MHz set of Samsung B-Die.  True, I may never notice the difference, but the B-Die kit should be easier to overclock and tighten the timings for even more performance than I see now.  If nothing else, that may give you something to research.  My Setup

One recommendation if you go with that setup.. update the bios immediately.  Will save you some headaches.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x  Board: Asus PRIME X570-P  Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8) DDR4-3000  Case: Fractal Design Define S

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070  SSD: HP EX950 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750W  Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S SE-AM4  Monitor: Viotek GFT27DB 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz

Why not go for the Ryzen 7 1700 if you are $100 below your budget? For video editing the 2 extra-cores (4 extra-threads) are going to help.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

2 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

not bad, but i'd spend more for a 240gb 850 evo. 

I was actually debating on that exact change and I figured that since I'm only using about half of the 120GB that I currently have in my setup that 120 would be plenty but it would always be nice to have the additional space. I also noticed that you changed out the case in the build you suggested. Was there any particular reason behind that or is it more of a personal preference? I haven't looked into that particular case so I was just curious.

2 hours ago, johndms said:

Looks similar to my own build which I'm very happy with.  I went with the Ripjaws V 3000MHz kit, currently have it clocked at 3200 (16.18.18.38.CR1 at 1.4v).  While I'm satisfied with the ram, it is Hynix M-Die, so I think I got lucky with compatibility.  The latest AGESA code added greater support for Hynix chips, but I wish I could go back and spend a bit more (now that I've done more research) and purchase a CL14 3200MHz set of Samsung B-Die.  True, I may never notice the difference, but the B-Die kit should be easier to overclock and tighten the timings for even more performance than I see now.  If nothing else, that may give you something to research.  My Setup

One recommendation if you go with that setup.. update the bios immediately.  Will save you some headaches.

I'm not very familiar with overclocking and tightening timings for ram but I'm sure I could do some research and look into it. I'm guessing that the performance upgrades would be minor but I may be completely wrong on that.

2 hours ago, Eibe said:

Why not go for the Ryzen 7 1700 if you are $100 below your budget? For video editing the 2 extra-cores (4 extra-threads) are going to help.

I was originally planning to go with the 1400 but decided to up it to the 1600 for exactly that reason. I know that bigger is usually better but I'm guessing that the upgrade from the AMD 6300 to the R5 1600 would already be a huge improvement and I'm not sure if the extra money would really be worth it for me. I also did a little more research on that and it seems like the GPU would be the bottleneck with that setup and I wouldn't be able to unlock the full potential of the CPU without also putting in a more powerful GPU. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Thank you to everyone for the replies on this

6 minutes ago, tgrachan said:

I was actually debating on that exact change and I figured that since I'm only using about half of the 120GB that I currently have in my setup that 120 would be plenty but it would always be nice to have the additional space. I also noticed that you changed out the case in the build you suggested. Was there any particular reason behind that or is it more of a personal preference? I haven't looked into that particular case so I was just curious.

case just looked nicer to me, has a psu shroud to hide the cables and a full acrylic window for looks.