Slim vs Cube SFF cases

Hey guys,

Which one do you think it's better?

I am a fan of slim cases like the one from Silverstone, as they are more portable and can fit anywhere. However, I am worried about the cooling capabilities that their wider, "cubical" brothers might improve upon.

What do you think? What's your idea of the best case?

Thanks.

As you said, it depends on what you need them for.

If you want to build in a SFF case and just keep it on your desk, maybe go for a cube one.

If you have to travel around with it, get a slim one (like I do with the Node 202).

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

Just now, Eibe said:

As you said, it depends on what you need them for.

If you want to build in a SFF case and just keep it on your desk, maybe go for a cube one.

If you have to travel around with it, get a slim one (like I do with the Node 202).

I completely agree, and this has been on my mind for a while now...

I lean towards a slim one because I know I will move (fly) at least once next year, so I don't want a big case so that I need to take the components apart and travel with them separate.

However, I am going for intense gaming, so if there is not enough cooling in a slim one... might make go the other way.

4 minutes ago, Axel1 said:

I completely agree, and this has been on my mind for a while now...

I lean towards a slim one because I know I will move (fly) at least once next year, so I don't want a big case so that I need to take the components apart and travel with them separate.

However, I am going for intense gaming, so if there is not enough cooling in a slim one... might make go the other way.

I move between UK and Italy with the plane several times a year. Because of this I settled with the Node 202.

I will be honest, CPU cooling is great even with the low-profile Cryorig C7 (no OC), but cooling the RX 580 was difficult (that is probably also because of it's high wattage). I have just bought a fan to put below the GPU which should drop temps by 10C* according to YouTube reviews, so it will be alright as the GPU will run at 60-70C* (overclocked considering the RX 580 is an OC'd 480).

In my opinion, go for the slim case if you have to fly with it. No chance your computer will survive a flight in the hold, you have to keep it as a carry-on, and a slim case is perfect for that.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

@Eibe I've never travelled with more than a laptop.

1. Have you encountered any airline which stopped you from taking it in a... backpack (I presume)?

2. Have you tried taking your PC + laptop at the same time?

4 minutes ago, Axel1 said:

@Eibe I've never travelled with more than a laptop.

1. Have you encountered any airline which stopped you from taking it in a... backpack (I presume)?

2. Have you tried taking your PC + laptop at the same time?

You are already asking too much as I have built the computer in June and I am going to travel with it for the first time on the 22nd September.

I have read a lot of stories about travelling with the Node 202 and I can report what I read on the web to answer your first question:

It usually is not a problem. If they say anything you can just say that it is a console (they do look like a console), and you are a techie guy.

And for the second question I don't think it will be a problem as I have already travelled with: 2 laptops, 1 PS4, 1 Nintendo 3DS in the same backpack, and they

didn't say anything to me.

EDIT: If you leave me a PM, I will tell you how it goes on the 22nd.

Unraid Server

1 minute ago, Eibe said:

I have already travelled with: 2 laptops, 1 PS4, 1 Nintendo 3DS in the same backpack

Holy shit haha

Thanks a lot for the info.

I prefer slim ones as well (love my Dr. Zaber Sentry) as they seam more practical (super handy for VR domos, I can stuff everything in one bag + maybe a monitor if I need one to manage the setup). The cooling so far wasn't to big of an issue (you have to accept lower clocks sometimes, higher idle temps and over all a bit higher noise level compared to a well build "normal" case), sure the availability of capable coolers is a bit meh espacially on a new platform like AM4 but no proble an enthusiast couldn't solve.

As long you can accept that you probably can't OC as much as other people with the same harware you can even go with a full enthusiastic gaming performance beaast. I mean Even bad ass setups with 6 or 8 core CPUs and with GPUs like the GTX 1080Ti in cases like the Sentry, the DAN Case A4-SFX or the NCase M1 for example aren't a miracle anymore.

I run myself a Dr. Zaber Sentry case with a R6 1600, 16Gb RAM and a GTX 1080Ti (EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition Gaming, one of the few fitting open air GTX 1080Ti's since most are to tall or tripple slot) 

PS: I have yet to finish my cooler and fan mounting for the Dynatron T318 cooler on my AM4 board, probably finish it after my 3d printer runs again :D