Crazy High temps with 6700k + air cooler at stock speeds.

My 6700k get's up to 86C with my grandis XE1236V2 (dual tower air cooler). The temps are fine at the start of a test like the x264 stress test - it get's around 64C max on stock settings (4.2GHz + 1.280 Vcore) but after I play a game like GTAV or The Witcher 3 it sky rockets to 80+C on 3 of the cores. WIth an overclock it get's up to 89C easily and has even gotten up to 92C which was then followed up by a system crash.
What I have tried:
-Resetting thermal paste 5 times (Not putting to much and not putting too little, just enough to cover 90% of the CPU in a circle shape - I used the pea method)
-Resetting CPU and the whole cooler again
-Set all fans to 100%
-Opening my case up to simulate an open-air test bench
-Made sure the cooler was secured as tightly as possible

Nothing seems to work. Help would be appreciated. Thanks

XTREME I7 GRANDIS TRIDENT SUPERNOVA ECLIPSE PC++:

CPU           ✧   i7 6700K  @ 4.5 GHz 1.31 VCore

COOLER   ✧   SilentiumPC Grandis 

MOBO       ✧   MSI Z170A GAMING PRO CARBON 

RAM          ✧   16Gb Trident Z's 3200 MHz

GPU          ✧    Gigabyte GTX 980 ti XTREME

SSD           ✧   Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB

PSU           ✧   EVGA SuperNova G2 650W 

CASE         ✧   Phanteks Eclipse P400S [Black]

Use:

✧ Game designing, Programming, Compiling, 3D rendering and of course Gaming

1 minute ago, Liquid Cooled Human said:

My 6700k get's up to 86C with my grandis XE1236V2 (dual tower air cooler). The temps are fine at the start of a test like the x264 stress test - it get's around 64C max on stock settings (4.2GHz + 1.280 Vcore) but after I play a game like GTAV or The Witcher 3 it sky rockets to 80+C on 3 of the cores. WIth an overclock it get's up to 89C easily and has even gotten up to 92C which was then followed up by a system crash.

What I have tried:
-Resetting thermal paste 5 times (Not putting to much and not putting too little, just enough to cover 90% of the CPU in a circle shape - I used the pea method)
-Resetting CPU and the whole cooler again
-Set all fans to 100%
-Opening my case up to simulate an open-air test bench

Nothing seems to work. Help would be appreciated. Thanks

first, please edit your post and edit all the text to automatic color.. night theme uses a dark background so it's a bit hard to read.

check your airflow.. does your case get hot spots? if so you need to reconfigure the fans or add more/better ones

also do you have a blower style fan on your gpu? or "heatsink and fans" on your GPU? if you have the latter and bad case airflow, that's probably your problem

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

12 minutes ago, Changis said:

first, please edit your post and edit all the text to automatic color.. night theme uses a dark background so it's a bit hard to read.

check your airflow.. does your case get hot spots? if so you need to reconfigure the fans or add more/better ones

also do you have a blower style fan on your gpu? or "heatsink and fans" on your GPU? if you have the latter and bad case airflow, that's probably your problem

I have the 3 fans with a heat sink not a blower style GPU and airflow seems fine my GPU stays around 67 max with 70% fan speed on full load.

Use:

I have the 3 fans with a heat sink not a blower style GPU and airflow seems fine my GPU stays around 67 max with 70% fan speed on full load.

do you get hot spts on the side of the case? 
how many case fans do you have, how are they oriented and are they original case fans or have you bought new ones, in which case, which ones?

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)

27 minutes ago, Liquid Cooled Human said:

Too tight can be as bad as not tight enough as you may be bending the board and getting poor contact on the CPU. It doesn't need to be more than snugly fit, don't crank down the screws.

Opening my case up to simulate an open-air test bench

FYI, this isn't always a good thing as a sealed case with proper airflow will direct the flow of air and avoid dead spots, an open case can sometimes be worse than a closed case.

That cooler should be giving you much better temps than that (even without a delid). What paste are you using? What is your case fan setup? (with that case you should have at least 2-3 front intake fans and one rear exhaust, also consider removing the top cover to allow more heat to escape.) What are your ambient room temps?

Since you only get bad temps while gaming I'm guessing your GPU is heating up your case and you're not getting rid of the hot GPU air efficiently so it's heading up the CPU heatsink and mobo.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

1 minute ago, pyrojoe34 said:

Too tight can be as bad as not tight enough as you may be bending the board and getting poor contact on the CPU. It doesn't need to be more than snugly fit, don't crank down the screws.

FYI, this isn't always a good thing as a sealed case with proper airflow will direct the flow of air and avoid dead spots, an open case can sometimes be worse than a closed case.

That cooler should be giving you much better temps than that (even without a delid). What paste are you using? What is your case fan setup? What are your ambient room temps?

Since you only get bad temps while gaming I'm guessing your GPU is heating up your case and you're not getting rid of the hot GPU air efficiently so it's heading up the CPU heatsink and mobo.

He's using an P400S - the case is known to have limited airflow (front intake). Gamernexus pointed out in their video. My guess is that OP is still with the initial 2 fan ( 1 intake, 1 exit) setup which is not enough for getting rid of the heat output from the 980Ti Extreme.

2 minutes ago, Changis said:

do you get hot spts on the side of the case? 
how many case fans do you have, how are they oriented and are they original case fans or have you bought new ones, in which case, which ones?

Stock fans. One pulling at the front on the top side and one pushing at the back.

4 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

That cooler should be giving you much better temps than that (even without a delid). What paste are you using? What is your case fan setup? What are your ambient room temps?

It's not as tight as possible as I left some wiggle room for the screws. the TP I am using is the pactum 1 that comes with the grandis. Ambient is about 24C.

Use:

2 minutes ago, YongKang said:

He's using an P400S - the case is known to have limited airflow (front intake). Gamernexus pointed out in their video. My guess is that OP is still with the initial 2 fan ( 1 intake, 1 exit) setup which is not enough for getting rid of the heat output from the 980Ti Extreme.

Yea, it's definitely not the best design, do you know if they offer a replacement airflow front cover? OP: if they do consider getting it.

If not the best option would be 3 front intake, 1 rear exhaust and 1 top exhaust. Or 2-3 front intake with 1 rear exhaust and the top vent left open.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

6 minutes ago, YongKang said:

2 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

Yea, it's definitely not the best design, do you know if they offer a replacement airflow front cover? OP: if they do consider getting it.

If not the best option would be 3 front intake, 1 rear exhaust and 1 top exhaust. Or 2-3 front intake with 1 rear exhaust and the top vent left open.

Yeah that must be the issue, I'll get some new fans. Thanks. Don't think they have a replacement, unfortunately.

Use:

Stock fans. One pulling at the front on the top side and one pushing at the back.

It's not as tight as possible as I left some wiggle room for the screws. the TP I am using is the pactum 1 that comes with the grandis. Ambient is about 24C.

bad airflow is your problem.. get more and better fans or consider changing your case

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

First, put the intake lower down, the lower the intake, the cooler the air is. Also, and more importantly, if you intake from the top and exhaust from the top, then the bottom half of the case is just dead air.

At a minimum, buy a second fan and do dual front intake (lower slots) and a single rear exhaust. Also, as I said before, remove the top vent covers if you haven't yet.

Primary PC-

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

Laptop-

Spoiler

Are you using the top covers as well? I suggest removing them and use the included dust filters to open up the airflow. Also, get more fans - more for the intake to get a positive airflow.

Just now, YongKang said:

Are you using the top covers as well? I suggest removing them and use the included dust filters to open up the airflow. Also, get more fans - more for the intake to get a positive airflow.

Yeah I am.

Use:

13 minutes ago, YongKang said:

I am using P400S as well, i have 2 140mm PWMs in the front and one 120mm PWM in the back/top. It is plenty of airflow, even at lower RPMs (front ~700RPM both, top ~800RPM, back ~1000RPM) and low noise i have perfect airflow. You should know that. Fix your airflow.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

5 minutes ago, Liquid Cooled Human said:

Yeah I am.

Dafuq man, you have nuclear reactor closed in an air-sealed container. 

Get 2 140mm fans, move them to the front, take the stock two 120mm fans and put one in the back and one in the top, without cover or air filter, only the unused slot can have air filter

3 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Dafuq man, you have nuclear reactor closed in an air-sealed container. 

Get 2 140mm fans, move them to the front, take the stock two 120mm fans and put one in the back and one in the top, without cover or air filter, only the unused slot can have air filter

Yeah I know. It wasn't a problem before it only started happening like a month ago. I am definitely going to get more fans.

Use:

Just now, Liquid Cooled Human said:

Yeah I know. It wasn't a problem before it only started happening like a month ago. I am definitely going to get more fans.

I would also avoid overclocking Skylake under air, its is an abortion of the 14nm process, it runs hot and is not power efficient

4 minutes ago, dave_k said:

I would also avoid overclocking Skylake under air, its is an abortion of the 14nm process, it runs hot and is not power efficient

The only reason it runs hot is because of the terrible TIM Intel used, not because of the cores themselves.

Just now, YongKang said:

The only reason it runs hot is because of the terrible TIM Intel used, not because of the cores themselves.

Not only that, surely there is something wrong when Skylake/Kaby Lake 4 core needs as much power as Ryzen 8 core.

1 minute ago, YongKang said:

It's mostly the TIM in this case but the smaller process also contributes to heat. Usually smaller processes mean less power (lower voltages) and less heat, but it also means more tightly packed transistors and higher energy density so it's a give-and-take. More transistors on a smaller die means higher energy density and lower surface area, so more heat... it's not as simple as you might think.

Primary PC-

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

Laptop-

Spoiler