SSD and Program Files

cmc
Go to solution Solved by renz62,

So if I want the applications to boot up quickly, can I just put the .exe files on the SSD? Or do I need other associated files like the rest of each application's ProgramFiles sub-folder for that to work or make a difference? 

you need the whole program to be in the SSD.. not just the shortcuts

So I've recently gotten a new system including a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD that currently holds Windows (still early on enough that I haven't installed any other programs) and a Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD for mass storage. Of course I've heard all the wonders of SSD read speeds, and I've been approached with the idea of using the SSD to just hold OS and the ProgramFiles (for the .exe files so applications start up faster) for all applications I use, while the rest of the data related to the programs stay on mass storage. The way to do this (as has been suggested) is to have the Registry Editor direct ProgramFiles/(X86) directories to the SSD and ProgramData and everything else to the HDD. This leads to a few questions on my part since I'm not as well versed in all of this as I'd like to be: What exactly are the ProgramFiles/ProgramFiles(X86) directories used for as opposed to ProgramData and how well might this set-up work? Currently on my old cluttered PC ProgramFiles(X86) takes up about 223GB, while both ProgramFiles and ProgramData take up less than 5GB each. Needless to say I don't have that kind of space on the SSD alone. What are you guys' thoughts on this? Does this sound like a good idea? A terrible one that's more hassle than it'll actually be worth? What might I do to make this whole thing a little bit more reasonable? Or should I just not bother and keep both ProgramFiles/(86) and ProgramData on the HDD? Thanks for any advice.

So I've recently gotten a new system including a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD that currently holds Windows (still early on enough that I haven't installed any other programs) and a Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD for mass storage. Of course I've heard all the wonders of SSD read speeds, and I've been approached with the idea of using the SSD to just hold OS and the ProgramFiles (for the .exe files so applications start up faster) for all applications I use, while the rest of the data related to the programs stay on mass storage. The way to do this (as has been suggested) is to have the Registry Editor direct ProgramFiles/(X86) directories to the SSD and ProgramData and everything else to the HDD. This leads to a few questions on my part since I'm not as well versed in all of this as I'd like to be: What exactly are the ProgramFiles/ProgramFiles(X86) directories used for as opposed to ProgramData and how well might this set-up work? Currently on my old cluttered PC ProgramFiles(X86) takes up about 223GB, while both ProgramFiles and ProgramData take up less than 5GB each. Needless to say I don't have that kind of space on the SSD alone. What are you guys' thoughts on this? Does this sound like a good idea? A terrible one that's more hassle than it'll actually be worth? What might I do to make this whole thing a little bit more reasonable? Or should I just not bother and keep both ProgramFiles/(86) and ProgramData on the HDD? Thanks for any advice.

So i'm a little tired.. possibly a little high. I live in colordo (not really). & this sounded more confusing to me then it actually is.

So... Basically you wanna have your programs and windows start up using ur ssd without using all your writes to it excessively by partioning it.. if thats what your idea is, then yes its worth it and a lot of people do this. lookup a guide for it, or wait for someone who doesnt have their head in their ass (me) right now to help you

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Install your OS on the SSD (a must)
  2. Because you did this ^ the default program install folders will also land on your SSD

Go ahead and try doing that. I have a hard time believing that you have 200+GB of actual programs, not including games (probably where the extra size is coming from).

When you install a game or other large thing, just manually set the directory to some easy-to-locate place on your HDD (like a folder named "programs" or "games").

CPU: i5 4670k • Cooler: Corsair H100i • Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPOWER • RAM: Crucial Ballistix Elite 2x 8GB • Storage: Samsung 840 250GB SSD, 2x WD Red 3TB • GPU: EVGA GTX 780 3GB • PSU: Corsair RM750W • Case: Corsair 750D • Mouse: Razer Naga 2012 (I actually use the thing for productivity/media buttons) • Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 w/ Browns - Green LED • Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 x 1440, ASUS PB238Q 23" 1920x1080 • Lighting: 2m NZXT Sleeved Blue LED Strip • pcpartpicker.com/p/3cHfZ

So if I want the applications to boot up quickly, can I just put the .exe files on the SSD? Or do I need other associated files like the rest of each application's ProgramFiles sub-folder for that to work or make a difference? 

you need the whole program to be in the SSD.. not just the shortcuts

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62