New Build for a newb.

BuddhasFist
Go to solution Solved by Gungpae,
6 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

hhttps://pcpartpicker.com/list/ttDbM8 Here, its a black and red color scheme. If its too much there are many things you can cut down on (i.e the watercooler, you'll do fine even with the stock) But there are also many ways to UP the price (Not sure why you would do that though)

This build should be able to handle 4k@60 

Also, 8700k/Coffee lake should be coming out this fall, if you're patient enough wait,  but for now this will do if you really cant wait :) 

If he's going into Audio Production, I think an NVME drive will benefit him better in the long run (Running many audio samples/large sample packs, etc)

I'd also get a second HDD to run Raid 0.

Hey all!  Let me preface this and say I know next to nothing about tech when it comes to building things. I have a general understanding of the different components and what they're used for but where I have a hard time finding answers is in what' hardware is most compatible with other hardware and obviously making sure I'm not spending money I could save on hardware I don't need. So let also preface this by apologizing if this forum isn't geared towards people with minimal knowledge like myself. I'll begin explaining the basics 1-5. 

1. I have a pretty wide budget of 1-2000. Maybe a little over if I learn I can make my rig that much better for an extra bone or two. Location is US. North Carolina to be specific. (Don't think that matters) 

2. My goal is primarily high end gaming with a potential for video editing and content creating in the future. A machine highly capable of audio production would be nice but I understand if that's a completely different bag and pushing my goal outside of budget. I'm more interested in 1920 with a stable but high fps than I am interested in gaming at 4k close to 60 fps, if that helps. 

3. As far as monitors go, I'm not there yet because I know I want a nicer monitor(not sure what that means in terms of specs) but it's not in my budget and I'm ok with building the system first. 

4. Peripherals will also come later though I do plan on having I guess what you might consider your standard gamers set up in terms of peripherals? Keyboard, mouse, controller, external audio...plan on using windows 10. 

5. I'm upgrading because I'd like to be able to experience the advantages of PC gaming while also having the ability to upgrade into a more work focused station in the future if I decide I'd like to edit video and what not. 

I also also realize that certain pre-builds are actually pretty competent. So I'm also open to any pre-builds that might be in my budget. If I'm being honest I'd probably prefer and be better suited going to a pre-build manufacturer and build my rig off of the website but I have a nasty habit of just upgrading everything to its "best" version and ending up with up 5,000 dollar systems in my cart that I know are way more powerful than I need. 

Theres so many options and loosely passed on information that it's extremely overwhelming for someone like to me to even look at my options. 

ANY help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time everybody! Have rocking days! 

Awesome, I'll make the list, any color scheme in mind? 

also its called 1080p, not 1920, just wanna help :P

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

hhttps://pcpartpicker.com/list/ttDbM8 Here, its a black and red color scheme. If its too much there are many things you can cut down on (i.e the watercooler, you'll do fine even with the stock) But there are also many ways to UP the price (Not sure why you would do that though)

Also, 8700k/Coffee lake should be coming out this fall, if you're patient enough wait,  but for now this will do if you really cant wait :) 

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

12 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

Awesome, I'll make the list, any color scheme in mind? 

also its called 1080p, not 1920, just wanna help :P

Yikes! I was under the impression 1920 was a step up from 1080. Am in between of 4k and 1080 if you will. Shows how much I know! Haha.      Color?  Blacked out, I think. Makes everything else pop.  Aesthetics are sort of the least of my concerns...but I'd prefer to not have the ugliest/plainest rig on the block so some thought can go into it if you feel like it. Much appreciated! 

Just now, BuddhasFist said:

Yikes! I was under the importation 1920 was a step up from 1080. Am in between of 4k and 1080 if you will. Shows how much I know! Haha.      Color?  Blacked out, I think. Makes everything else pop.  Aesthetics are sort of the least of my concerns...but I'd prefer to not have the ugliest/plainest rig on the block so some thought can go into it if you feel like it. Much appreciated! 

Just now, BuddhasFist said:

Yikes! I was under the importation 1920 was a step up from 1080. Am in between of 4k and 1080 if you will. Shows how much I know! Haha.      Color?  Blacked out, I think. Makes everything else pop.  Aesthetics are sort of the least of my concerns...but I'd prefer to not have the ugliest/plainest rig on the block so some thought can go into it if you feel like it. Much appreciated! 

Awesome :D  Already posted the build in my previous post on this thread,

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

6 minutes ago, QuantumBit said:

If he's going into Audio Production, I think an NVME drive will benefit him better in the long run (Running many audio samples/large sample packs, etc)

I'd also get a second HDD to run Raid 0.

Current Build

Successful Builds

Spoiler
Spoiler

Thank you so much!  That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind.   

Only been here 30 minutes and this forum is already the sh*t. I'll be sure to follow up with any questions if I run into any!