Need Suggestions on a Headset

BrownBear0311

I have a question and looking for advice from those that know more than me. I'm looking for a headset. Standalone headset.  Main purpose is for gaming but I will be getting a DAC soon for music as well.  I need something good.  I am not experienced enough to search the field.

Also suggestions on a Mic would be nice as well. Thank you.  I ask this question because I do know that those gaming headsets are not all that great.

Some things that will help the forum help you is:

1) What is your budget or total amount of cash you want to spend?

2) Do you have any preferences that you can speak of? (Do you like a flat response, or rather have bass, mid, treble stick out more than others? Do you know what closed back and open back headphones are?)

3) When it comes to a microphone, are you looking to create content or use it simply for voice chat / team communication?

#1)  3-400 USD

#2) I prefer closed back for sure. Looking for nothing but sound and isolation from outside.  as in for the treble or bass....Don't really know. Just want superior sounds.....I'm not an audiophile sadly.

#3) Would be strictly for communication/ voice chat. But don't want it being too crappy.

For gaming headsets, look at Sennheiser's Game Zero, I have one and love it.

I'm using it with Sennheiser's GSX 1200 Pro USB DAC. The GSX is made for Sennheiser's Game series and together they make a great combination.

Here's why, in my opinion, it's so great: The Mic of the Game Zero is arguably the best on any gaming headset and the GSX's digital surround is fantastic. I've tried a lot of digital surround implementations on stereo headsets and nothing comes close to Sennheiser's version. If you like to play any type of adventure game or pretty much anything that isn't a competitive shooter, that surround will enhance your experience greatly (It can be toggled off as well of course). Another great feature of the GSX 1200 Pro is the abilty to exclusively boost your own voice for friends and your friend's voices for you when using for example discord without affecting the overall volume. There's two dials on the thing that let you control that. If you are looking for one of the best gaming headset + DAC combinations, this is what I'd recommend.

1 minute ago, BrownBear0311 said:

#1)  3-400 USD

#2) I prefer closed back for sure. Looking for nothing but sound and isolation from outside.  as in for the treble or bass....Don't really know. Just want superior sounds.....I'm not an audiophile sadly.

#3) Would be strictly for communication/ voice chat. But don't want it being too crappy.

When you're only using the mic for voice chat, the Game Zero's is more than enough. 

However, since you're looking for "superior sound", maybe a nice pair of headphones plus a Modmic might be a better option for you. That won't be a standalone headset per se, but practically it's very close. 

(BTW if you'd be interested in the GSX's surround and would like to hear it, Hardware Canucks have a great review on their youtube channel)

8 minutes ago, BrownBear0311 said:

#1)  3-400 USD

Then the K7xx with modmic 5

I believe the mass drop for the akg k7xx ended 1-2 hours ago so you'll have to either wait or pick up another decent set of headphones. With your budget id say look at the pinned thread about headphones within your budget and pick up a mod mic as well. 

If not the mod mic, still pick put a pair of headphones from that list of closed back and look into something like the blue snowball and a swing arm. I have that same mic and my friends say my voice is crystal clear. The mod mic is simply better if you want the mic attached to your headphones and there's no hassle of setting up "something else" on your desk. 

Sorry for formatting if there's issues as I'm on mobile. 

49 minutes ago, NinJake said:

I believe the mass drop for the akg k7xx ended 1-2 hours ago so you'll have to either wait or pick up another decent set of headphones. With your budget id say look at the pinned thread about headphones within your budget and pick up a mod mic as well. 

If not the mod mic, still pick put a pair of headphones from that list of closed back and look into something like the blue snowball and a swing arm. I have that same mic and my friends say my voice is crystal clear. The mod mic is simply better if you want the mic attached to your headphones and there's no hassle of setting up "something else" on your desk. 

Not a problem. Thanks for your input.

I think I will go for the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7NC SonicPro High-Resolution Headphones with Active Noise Cancellation.

That with the Blue Snowball Mic and Stand. 

Thoughts?

3 hours ago, NinJake said:

the red ones are available

6 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

Then the K7xx with modmic 5

He wants closed backs. K7XX's are open.

3 hours ago, BrownBear0311 said:

I think I will go for the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7NC SonicPro High-Resolution Headphones with Active Noise Cancellation.

Wouldn't recommend for gaming. Those have a typical Audio Technica closed soundstage (no natural depth, bad for positional audio) and are tuned bright. Technically good for critical listening but not for ideal for enjoyment.

The normal recommendation for closed gaming headphones is the DT770, which should cost you around $100 used or $150 new. I don't think anything else combines what you're most likely looking for (Consumer-friendly sound signature, good gaming potential, sound isolation, comfort) quite as well until you start looking at the SRH1540's, which are usually ~$350 used though used sales are rare or $400-$500 new.

If your primary goal with the microphone is gaming communication, I'd also recommend a Modmic over the Snowball; the boom mic will pick up less background noise and honestly sounds better than a low-end USB mic like the Snowball. If you care a lot about the way you sound you can put together a decent XLR microphone and USB preamp for under $100 that will beat any USB mic.

6 hours ago, BrownBear0311 said:

That with the Blue Snowball Mic and Stand. 

Thoughts?

Seems like an odd combo to me. The headphones you chose with active noise cancelling suggests you're in a very noisy environment, but the mic suggests you have a quiet room and want absolute clarity in your voice. If closed back is your thing, and you're trending towards Audio Technica anyway, why not give the ATH-AG1x a chance?

6 hours ago, Hoof said:

Seems like an odd combo to me. The headphones you chose with active noise cancelling suggests you're in a very noisy environment, but the mic suggests you have a quiet room and want absolute clarity in your voice. If closed back is your thing, and you're trending towards Audio Technica anyway, why not give the ATH-AG1x a chance?

My current headset lets noise from the outside make it through unless I'm blasting the sound.  My room is isolated so the mic won't pick up what my ears can hear. 

You really don't need ANC unless you're in a loud environment or planning on taking these with you when you travel (which you may be doing, but you sorta stated you just wanted them for voice chat, not for travel).

For closed I always like the DT770 and the Sony MDR (V6 / 7506) series in this ballpark price range. Oh and of course... uh, we make the aforementioned ModMic, but you get what is best for you :)

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

Now guys here is the dumb question of the week. With my build in my profile. Should I get a DAC for these headphones?  I'm able to get one if I need to.  

You probably don't need a DAC for this. Regardless, you should always test your gear on your current setup first and get used to it before adding a DAC. Then you can add the DAC and really see if you hear a difference. If not, return the DAC :D

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

2 hours ago, AAJoe said:

You probably don't need a DAC for this. Regardless, you should always test your gear on your current setup first and get used to it before adding a DAC. Then you can add the DAC and really see if you hear a difference. If not, return the DAC :D

Yea just got my gear. All sounds great. Zero anything relating to artifacts.  Sounds so much better. Hearing things I didn't even hear on my other headset. Epic win.

5 hours ago, BrownBear0311 said:

Yea just got my gear. All sounds great. Zero anything relating to artifacts.  Sounds so much better. Hearing things I didn't even hear on my other headset. Epic win.

What did you end up going with out of curiosity, and how are you liking them?

13 hours ago, Hoof said:

What did you end up going with out of curiosity, and how are you liking them?

I went with the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7NC SonicPro High-Resolution Headphones.

Also, Blue Snowball Ice.  Both work great.  I need to buy bigger cushions for the headphones. But they are extremely clear.