Engineering Project Ideas

I am a High School student, currently in my senior year, currently our schools PLTW Engineering course.

Our main project for the year is to essentially improve or create something to solve some sort of problem. I am looking for ideas that have something to do with computers.

More details about the problem, or what you are suggesting are appreciated, and this is just to come up with some general ideas of problems people might be having.

Please submit in this format:

ENGINEERING PROJECT IDEAS

Idea:

Identify the Problem:

Details about the problem:

Possible solutions/improvements (if you have any):

1 minute ago, Jskn said:

Is this hardware or software engineering. 

It's more of an intro to engineering. 
We kind of go over all types of engineering, but the class is officially called Engineering Design/Development.
Looking for ideas where I can design them on Autodesk Inventor, and either use existing things to create a prototype 

or 3D print it out.

Previous years projects varied from a device to store tennis balls, to flag holders,

to a robot that helps firefighters identify when they need to rescue somebody.

I was about to suggest an idea on Arduinos but OP said that this is for "intro" into engineering. But since you built a "robot" that helps firefighters, why don't you try build something about robotics as well or simply, about sensors. You can use a water sensor to know if the plants need some water or not. You can use a light sensor and a solar panel. Place a solar panel on a field where you can see the sun rise and sets, that use a code to help the solar panel track the sun's rays, using almost 100% of sun's light into another form of energy. Keep in mind that this is about Arduinos. They're a bit messy to work with but they make good results

22 hours ago, Earl Talatala said:

I was about to suggest an idea on Arduinos but OP said that this is for "intro" into engineering. But since you built a "robot" that helps firefighters, why don't you try build something about robotics as well or simply, about sensors. You can use a water sensor to know if the plants need some water or not. You can use a light sensor and a solar panel. Place a solar panel on a field where you can see the sun rise and sets, that use a code to help the solar panel track the sun's rays, using almost 100% of sun's light into another form of energy. Keep in mind that this is about Arduinos. They're a bit messy to work with but they make good results

We have used Arduino's at the end of last year, some we have some experience with them. So, this is a viable option, thanks.