Do solid state hybrid drives have a limited number of write cycles?

Go to solution Solved by Matsy,

Yes, but under normal use you would never get to the limit in like 10 years.

I was just wondering since i plan on buying one, and i couldnt find the answer on google. I have yet to search the forum.

Yes, but under normal use you would never get to the limit in like 10 years.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

so they have a very large number of write cycles? (much much larger than ssd i assume) and can you give me an example?

so they have a very large number of write cycles? (much much larger than ssd i assume) and can you give me an example?

Since the individual cells are the same ones used in SSDs (at least AFAIK), their

cells have the same amount of write cycles. However, under normal usage you will

never write enough data to break them within a reasonable time frame, at least

I've never heard of anyone come across this problem in the past few years.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

The new WD black ^2 Hybrid drive is actually great. A 120 GB SSD and 1 TB HDD you just get a great life cycle because SSD wear out by writting on them and in a hybrid drive they just read things from it and the HDD wears out from reading from it and in the Hybrid drive you just store data there so the hybrid drives are the best for everything for longevity and performance

the HDD wears out from reading from it

Ahem, where did you get that from? Source please.

HDDs age, but load has little effect on an HDD's life span (source: Google study (pdf)).

It's a very interesting read btw. I highly recommend it. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Ahem, where did you get that from? Source please.

HDDs age, but load has little effect on an HDD's life span (source: Google study (pdf)).

It's a very interesting read btw. I highly recommend it. :)

OK sorry got this wrong HDD wear out from constant wear and tear thanks by the way

OK sorry got this wrong HDD wear out from constant wear and tear thanks by the way

No problem mate, happy to be of service. :)