How high can RAM be OC'd?

I'm buying a r5 1600 in the near future and a stick of 2666/3000 mhz memory but I was just wondering how high the 2666 mhz could overclock.

i know, probably depends on models a lot but it could save a few bucks :>

Thanks

Yes, it depends on the RAM itself, every set is different.

I'd just get the 3000mhz kit, it's only a few extra.

i7-12700k | MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 | 2x16GB Team Group DDR4-3200CL14 | be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 | EVGA FTW3 2070 SUPER | 500GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus | 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM | Fractal Design Meshify C

2 hours ago, idiot42 said:

Yes, it depends on the RAM itself, every set is different.

I'd just get the 3000mhz kit, it's only a few extra.

Also I've seen some benchmarks with like 3466 mhz ram but most mobos I see say "3200 mhz (OC)", does that mean anything above won't work or...?

31 minutes ago, Ricardo56 said:

Also I've seen some benchmarks with like 3466 mhz ram but most mobos I see say "3200 mhz (OC)", does that mean anything above won't work or...?

In this case, 3200Mhz would probably be the limit of the memory controller in the CPU. You would buy RAM and OC it to 3200Mhz to matche the CPU/MOBO. Ram generally wont run over the DDR standard speed without OCing.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

1 hour ago, asand1 said:

In this case, 3200Mhz would probably be the limit of the memory controller in the CPU. You would buy RAM and OC it to 3200Mhz to matche the CPU/MOBO. Ram generally wont run over the DDR standard speed without OCing.

So it'd basically be fine right?

One last thing, I see quite a few people advising against msi for ryzen mobos, any chance you could enlighten me?

1 minute ago, Ricardo56 said:

So it'd basically be fine right?

One last thing, I see quite a few people advising against msi for ryzen mobos, any chance you could enlighten me?

They had some issues there for a little while with support, slow to push bios updates etc that affected the overclocking capability but, i believe everything has settled down now and we're back to it not mattering beyond the color of the board you want