Laptop Hard drive question

Silencedelta

I just got a desktop. I have been using laptops for years. I got a single 1 terabyte hard drive as a temporary solution till i had a bit m,ore money to put ssd's and more hd in there... But just out of curiosity is there any way to mount one of the 2 750 gb hhd's in my asus g74sx to the computer they use a platter drive about the size of an ssd. the problem is i doubt they have screw holes to mount them to the large drive mounts in my NZXT phantom 410 mid... I plan on doing a fair bit of video recording and editing and i know its faster to wright to a different hard drive than you are gaming on and i figured this would be an free way as opposed to buying a whole new drive. I also know the second drive in my laptop was barely ever used i used it to back up important files extra but over two years it was seldom used till about the last 2 months when i had to slap a few games on it. also dose anyone know it fis will mess up the hidden backup on the computer i plan on formatting it later today so i figured i would ask and get done so i know if i can just pull it out or if it would just be much better to just buy a new hdd when i have a few bucks.

Asus G74SX,17.3" 1920x1080 Screen, Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM 2.2GHz, 2.9 Turbo, 12GB DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM, 1.5TB (2x 750GB) 7200rpm HD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. [] Asus VivoBook S400, Intel® Core™ i5-3317U Processor 1.7 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz 14.1" LED  (1366x768)  touch panel, 500GB HD, Intel® GMA HD, Windows 8 (64-bit)

It appears (At least from the newegg review video) that all of the drive trays for HDDs are 2.5" compatible. It should be as simple as finding the right screw (same ones that hold down the motherboard if memory holds), screw the HDD to the tray, reinstall the tray, wire the drive, format the drive in windows, and use it. 

Can't really say for sure on the laptop question. Were the 2 hard drives originally installed to the laptop? Were they in RAID? If yes to both, then it may or may not reformat fine without one drive. If it was not RAID and you installed one of the drives, then it will work just fine with a single drive. The recovery partition is designed to return it to an out of the box state. 

It appears (At least from the newegg review video) that all of the drive trays for HDDs are 2.5" compatible. It should be as simple as finding the right screw (same ones that hold down the motherboard if memory holds), screw the HDD to the tray, reinstall the tray, wire the drive, format the drive in windows, and use it. 

Can't really say for sure on the laptop question. Were the 2 hard drives originally installed to the laptop? Were they in RAID? If yes to both, then it may or may not reformat fine without one drive. If it was not RAID and you installed one of the drives, then it will work just fine with a single drive. The recovery partition is designed to return it to an out of the box state. 

Thanks have to try it, They both came installed but no raid. out of box it had 4 partitions on it... asus is silly with those anymore... but i will try to pull one it seems as what happens...  thanks again though :)

Asus G74SX,17.3" 1920x1080 Screen, Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM 2.2GHz, 2.9 Turbo, 12GB DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM, NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M with 3GB GDDR5 VRAM, 1.5TB (2x 750GB) 7200rpm HD Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. [] Asus VivoBook S400, Intel® Core™ i5-3317U Processor 1.7 GHz, 4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz 14.1" LED  (1366x768)  touch panel, 500GB HD, Intel® GMA HD, Windows 8 (64-bit)