Help on NAS'

Mitchb777

If been wanting to build a file server to put movies and tv shows on, and when I asked around other places, everyone seemed to disagree on what I needed, some said I needed ECC RAM, Others said just a ras Pi would do, Help, I don't know what I need. 

If been wanting to build a file server to put movies and tv shows on, and when I asked around other places, everyone seemed to disagree on what I needed, some said I needed ECC RAM, Others said just a ras Pi would do, Help, I don't know what I need. 

It all depends on the severity of file server you want to build, You could take an old computer, throw a couple harddrives in it and install something like FreeNAS or you could buy all new hardware and go for a raid array, obviously the required money for either of these is completely different, that is where you have to decide how much do I want to spend on this  ?

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

If you have an old system you could run free nas on it. Free nas has many features and works very well. I run free nas of an old server with a pentium 4 and it can stream video to my devices. ECC ram is good to have for a file server but you do not really need it. what is your budget though?

My rig  case- Graphite 600t white CPU-i5 3570k OC 4.0Ghz RAM- 8gb Vengeance memory HDD-WD Black 1tb PSU-tx650 GPU- MSI 770 gameing edition 2gb , gtx 650 1gb Motherboard- asrock extreme 3 z77 Fan controller- NZXT sentry lx CPU cooler- H60 Peripherals- g300 mouse G630 headset k70 silver cherry mx red switches  my free nas nas Case- Dell something.. Ram- 8 gb ecc ddr 2 CPU - Pentium D 3.0ghz HDD currently 160 gb adding 3tb wd red “Sucking at something is the first step to being sorta good at something” –Jake the Dog

Probably between £200-£300 would be my budget.

Well, do you have any old computers ? Oldest that would work would be something like a Pentium 4.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Well, do you have any old computers ? Oldest that would work would be something like a Pentium 4.

No

I saw this and it looked kinda cool, Would there be a downside to having it this way

http://www.reddit.com/r/battlestations/comments/1q67qd/here_is_my_almost_finished_file_server_should_be/

I was thinking of something like this for the parts:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2c4NP

I chose the PSU because I would like to have a strong PSU, With full modularity, Is that enough RAM?

I saw this and it looked kinda cool, Would there be a downside to having it this way

http://www.reddit.com/r/battlestations/comments/1q67qd/here_is_my_almost_finished_file_server_should_be/

I chose the PSU because I would like to have a strong PSU, With full modularity, Is that enough RAM?

Maybe get a case?

Maybe get a case?

I was thinking of mounting it like the link above, and I was wondering if there was a downside to that, Also I'd kinda like to custom make one, If wall mounting it like that wouldn't work

I was thinking of mounting it like the link above, and I was wondering if there was a downside to that, Also I'd kinda like to custom make one, If wall mounting it like that wouldn't work

Maybe more dust buildup than normal but not much else i think. 

Those parts would work fine for what you want to do, I would look into OS' too, maybe FreeNAS, it is great, I use it on my own server.

Those parts would work fine for what you want to do, I would look into OS' too, maybe FreeNAS, it is great, I use it on my own server.

I heard Free NAS was RAM Hungry, at what point does 4GB become insufficient?

I heard Free NAS was RAM Hungry, at what point does 4GB become insufficient?

I run 3GBs so I couldn't tell you, I would assume if you have large raid pools you would need more ram, are you planning on setting up RAID ? 

I run 3GBs so I couldn't tell you, I would assume if you have large raid pools you would need more ram, are you planning on setting up RAID ? 

If I was going to, I would use RAID 10 Right, but I'm not sure of the advantages over non RAID, But am aware that it would reduce my storage capacity, But buy how much?

EDIT: Would RAID 5 or 6 Be better, Because with RAID 10 i have to have at least 4 drives?

If I was going to, I would use RAID 10 Right, but I'm not sure of the advantages over non RAID, But am aware that it would reduce my storage capacity, But buy how much?

I will explain raid quickly,

Raid 1: 2 drives, together, the other is a complete backup of the other, 

Raid 0: 2 drives together, they both store chunks of data, a way to think about it is everything is split between 2 or more drives, making it faster as it can read from multiple drives, 

Raid 10 is a merge of the two (1 and 0)

Minimum, 4 drives in a raid 10, 

2 drives would be used in a raid 1 and the other in a 0,

you would have the speed of 2 of them in raid but also have the protection, You have 4 2TB drives, you would have 2TBs of space usable as the other 2 TBs would be used as a "backup" for the first set, I hope I explained that clearly enough, if not let me know.

EDIT:

The motherboard you have chosen doesn't support RAID, you will need one that does or find a raid card, 

I will explain raid quickly,

Raid 1: 2 drives, together, the other is a complete backup of the other, 

Raid 0: 2 drives together, they both store chunks of data, a way to think about it is everything is split between 2 or more drives, making it faster as it can read from multiple drives, 

Raid 10 is a merge of the two (1 and 0)

Minimum, 4 drives in a raid 10, 

2 drives would be used in a raid 1 and the other in a 0,

you would have the speed of 2 of them in raid but also have the protection, You have 4 2TB drives, you would have 2TBs of space usable as the other 2 TBs would be used as a "backup" for the first set, I hope I explained that clearly enough, if not let me know.

EDIT:

The motherboard you have chosen doesn't support RAID, you will need one that does or find a raid card, 

Ok, Any RAID Cards you can recommend?

Ok, Any RAID Cards you can recommend?

This would be perfect.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151142

Too bad that is kinda expensive, So you could use this instead,

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-h77pro4mvp

Thanks, are there any similarly priced Micro ATX Boards that can have RAId?

I was looking but not with much luck, I will look a bit more if you want?

EDIT, I found one that I think will be a better replacement.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=261829&page=8