RX480 Crossfire Setup?

gent23mj

To start, yes I know that RX480s are old but I stumbled across a couple cheap ones (believe it or not) on Facebook so I'm going to do it.  I have two 4gb cards.  Sapphire Nitro and MSI Armor.  Is this pretty much plug and play and turn on crossfire in Radeon Catalyst settings? Do I need a bridge?  Can I daisy chain the power coming off the first card?  Or rather, use the power cable that splits from the one going to the first card? Is their a guide you guys like?

Intel 7600k
Asus z270 Prime
M.2 + HDD
16gb DDR4 2400mhz

750w

if your 750w isn't a pos then it should be pretty much plug and play, dont daisy chain power cable , use two proper pci-e cable comming from the power supply.

Just now, emosun said:

if your 750w isn't a pos then it should be pretty much plug and play

Its a Corsair Bronze rated

I've heard many say to uninstall drivers and reinstall drivers.  what do you think?

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

if your 750w isn't a pos then it should be pretty much plug and play, dont daisy chain power cable , use two proper pci-e cable comming from the power supply.

that changes practically nothing you can daisy chain just fine. i think the cable management hassle isn't worth the 2fps better OC you get from it. 480's aren't old btw it's just last year and they're basically identical to 580s

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
    32GB Corsair RGB 3600MT/s CAS18
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
    WD black NVMe SSD 500GB & 1TB samsung Sata ssd & x 1TB WD blue & x 3TB Seagate
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)
    1440p 21:9 100Hz

1 minute ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

that changes practically nothing you can daisy chain just fine. i think the cable management hassle isn't worth the 2fps better OC you get from it. 480's aren't old btw it's just last year and they're basically identical to 580s

You're saying the cable management isnt worth getting another cable out and daisy chaining them instead?  Or crossfiring isnt worth it?

9 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

that changes practically nothing you can daisy chain just fine.

you offload the power load from 6 wires to 12 wires. sure they meet back up to the same point on the pcb inside the power supply , but that point on the board is designed to handle the current vs the wires themselves. 

you could argue about how much current the gauge of wire from one pci-e plug can handle. But I could also say they seperate the plugs so dumb people don't try daisy chaining them. just use two plugs as they are intended.

23 minutes ago, gent23mj said:

To start, yes I know that RX480s are old but I stumbled across a couple cheap ones (believe it or not) on Facebook so I'm going to do it.  I have two 4gb cards.  Sapphire Nitro and MSI Armor.  Is this pretty much plug and play and turn on crossfire in Radeon Catalyst settings? Do I need a bridge?  Can I daisy chain the power coming off the first card?  Or rather, use the power cable that splits from the one going to the first card? Is their a guide you guys like?

Intel 7600k
Asus z270 Prime
M.2 + HDD
16gb DDR4 2400mhz

750w

It is plug and play, I did some testing on mine last night before putting my new rx vega in. Your PSU will be fine here is the power consumption of my rig running timespy benchmark.

480x Crossfire TimeSpy.csv

4 minutes ago, Timothy11 said:

It is plug and play, I did some testing on mine last night before putting my new rx vega in. Your PSU will be fine here is the power consumption of my rig running timespy benchmark.

480x Crossfire TimeSpy.csv

Thanks.  I have an Asus z270 Prime.  Will I need to do any PCIe configuration in the bios?

Just now, gent23mj said:

Thanks.  I have an Asus z270 Prime.  Will I need to do any PCIe configuration in the bios?

probably not, just put them in and if one does not show in device manages then go looking at bios settings.

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Crossfire works this way. 

1) Each card has its own rail for power, do not daisy chain.

2) Make sure both cards are in right.

3)  Power up and use DDU and the Crimson driver to reinstall.

4) Turn on crossfire in the driver sw.

I use to crossfire 280xs.

DDU?

23 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Display driver uninstaller works better than AMD, Intel, and Nvidia's own driver sw for removing all traces of the driver.  https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

I got both cards in using their own power cables, and while it displayed on my monitor.  it would lock up for a few seconds, then the mouse could move, then it would lock up again, etc.  Is this a power issue?

2 minutes ago, gent23mj said:

I got both cards in using their own power cables, and while it displayed on my monitor.  it would lock up for a few seconds, then the mouse could move, then it would lock up again, etc.  Is this a power issue?

Actually, I was running Intel Turbo Mode and XMP and when I turned those off it stopped stuttering and locking up

2 hours ago, gent23mj said:

You're saying the cable management isnt worth getting another cable out and daisy chaining them instead?  Or crossfiring isnt worth it?

the daisy chain. but to be completely honest neither is the cross fire since games coming out barely support it and sometimes you even get negative performance from it

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

9 hours ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

the daisy chain. but to be completely honest neither is the cross fire since games coming out barely support it and sometimes you even get negative performance from it

I got it hooked up.  it screamed on some benchmarks nearly doubling framerates.  but when i played the game i like to play.  it had noticeable microstutter and some other issues.  So...i didnt like it.  Ill be selling the card probably

2 hours ago, emosun said:

you offload the power load from 6 wires to 12 wires. sure they meet back up to the same point on the pcb inside the power supply , but that point on the board is designed to handle the current vs the wires themselves. 

you could argue about how much current the gauge of wire from one pci-e plug can handle. But I could also say they seperate the plugs so dumb people don't try daisy chaining them. just use two plugs as they are intended.

they make it possible to you to do those things because it won't break anything it's all been tested and rated for the maximum you'll be able to push through it. and so they give you 2 plugs in case you have to use all 4 end plugs.

see how jay tested some of it

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

Just now, gent23mj said:

I got it hooked up.  i screamed on some benchmarks nearly doubling framerates.  but when i played the game i like to play.  it had noticeable microstutter and some other issues.  So...i didnt like it.  Ill be selling the card probably

it's unfortunate because when SLI and crossfire were a couple years in it just seemed like it would only get better, but it turns out it's too much of a time sync to get it to work for developers. I was hoping the PS4 pro would push us forward a bit more (since that's basically a crossfire setup) but even that has had very low support because they have to make it work for the basic PS4 at the same time anyway.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)

6 minutes ago, SquintyG33Rs said:

they make it possible to you to do those things because it won't break anything it's all been tested and rated for the maximum you'll be able to push through it. and so they give you 2 plugs in case you have to use all 4 end plugs.

see how jay tested some of it

that video is about cards with two power plugs , not about powering two cards with a single cable

op was talking about powering two cards with a single line out from the power supply. since the rx480 has a single 6 pin you would use two cables. one for each card , not that this matters as he's already done with the topic anyway.

2 hours ago, emosun said:

that video is about cards with two power plugs , not about powering two cards with a single cable

op was talking about powering two cards with a single line out from the power supply. since the rx480 has a single 6 pin you would use two cables. one for each card , not that this matters as he's already done with the topic anyway.

yeah it's the same type of problem. but that's also why i said he did something about something similar (power supply PCIe plugs) itt tests teh behaviour of the powersupply in these types of loads. now of course on a single card it might not be ballanced on both plugs but neither is it really when you have 2 cards so i think it's pretty accurate to the present question still.

it's one of those push or pull thing where really the only thing it changes is placebo and aesthetics and it's not worth an argument on the internet.

Primary System

• CPU
    Ryzen R6 5700X
  • Motherboard
    MSI B350M mortar arctic
  • RAM
  • GPU
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
  • Case
    kind of a mess
  • Storage
  • PSU
    corsair RM750X white
  • Display(s)