Is my drive dying?

Generally I use my SSD(s) for most tasks, but due to the nature of my work i sometimes end up with a number of videos that means i have to store extra on my spare HDDs.

I have 3 x 2.5" 500GB HDDs, two of which run perfectly fine, and a third which started exhibiting strange behaviour recently, where under sequential writes it would sometimes write at ~100MB/s then bomb down to ~15MB/s, even when the other drives are close to full they still write at 60+MB/s.

A "diskpart > clean all" successfully restored the drive to its previous speeds. Though now there is a SMART error showing up.

Anyway, long story cut short, do i need a new HDD?

disk1.png

disk2.png

Yes, anything other then "Good" means you'll need to replace it.

Might not fail soon, but it can happen and you should prevent that.

You should watch the reallocated counter if it goes up. If yes then you should be aware of it dying soon... 

My Setup: 
CPU: i7 4790 @3800 MHz, MB: MSI H87-G41, Grafik: Gigabyte GTX 1080TI, RAM: 2x 8GB DDR3 (1600), Storage: Samsung SSD 850 Evo

27 minutes ago, ValkyrieStar said:

Generally I use my SSD(s) for most tasks, but due to the nature of my work i sometimes end up with a number of videos that means i have to store extra on my spare HDDs.

I have 3 x 2.5" 500GB HDDs, two of which run perfectly fine, and a third which started exhibiting strange behaviour recently, where under sequential writes it would sometimes write at ~100MB/s then bomb down to ~15MB/s, even when the other drives are close to full they still write at 60+MB/s.

A "diskpart > clean all" successfully restored the drive to its previous speeds. Though now there is a SMART error showing up.

Anyway, long story cut short, do i need a new HDD?

disk1.png

disk2.png

seems like bad sectors.. replace drive.

you can also check if it makes any strange sounds.. http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php
if it does, get a backup done asap if you don't already have

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

20 minutes ago, Mike87 said:

You should watch the reallocated counter if it goes up. If yes then you should be aware of it dying soon... 

Does the reallocated counter need to be low ?

For all my 3 drives it says 100, 100, 100. o.O

nearly ervery counter is at 100 under Current or Worst. But under status its Good 100%.

Edited by SoreRaito

The pending sector count went up after it threw the wobble, then seem to get transfered to the reallocated sector once i did the clean all.

I had a couple of drives previous that would detect properly and spin up and read all data, and a chkdisk would show up no errors, but trying to write or delete anything would result in an IO error and the pending sectors count was pretty high  (20 something) and also the reallocated sectors were up in the 30s. Id just wanted to run clean all to completely wipe the drive to bin it safely but i ended up having to take a hammer to it. Any idea what that was about?

It only threw a wobble after i experimented with a disk closing drive bay enclosure, before then it was fine, i can only assume that had part to do with it. Im slowly working on replacing all my drives with SSDs anyway, HDDs are slow as @&£! with the things i do, raw 4k60 footage easily topping the gigabit/s mark meaning that even a few minutes of video is pusing 20GB, and on a HDD thats a good while to copy, not even mentioning that usually i get batches of 400-800GB of files at a time. SSDs do it in a matter of minutes...

Ill keep an eye on the drive, seems like the clean all has fixed the main issue for now.