GPU Advice

Icetrio

My R9 280 is struggling to play newer games at 1080p 60 FPS without really turning the settings down. I want to get an upgrade but I feel like this isn't the best time to be buying GPU's. Heat output and power consumption is somewhat of a concern but not a complete deal breaker. I don't want to spend more than $500 CAD. Should I wait or bite the bullet and buy one of the cards on the market now?

Just now, Icetrio said:

My R9 280 is struggling to play newer games at 1080p 60 FPS without really turning the settings down. I want to get an upgrade but I feel like this isn't the best time to be buying GPU's. Heat output and power consumption is somewhat of a concern but not a complete deal breaker. I don't want to spend more than $500 CAD. Should I wait or bite the bullet and buy one of the cards on the market now?

Em, well VEGA 56 seems like it's trading blows with the GTX 1070, both will easily max games out on 1080p for another few years, but both will be bought by miners probably, and VEGA needs after market cooling and kinda uses a lot of power. A GTX 1050ti or GTX 1060, RX 580 would also be good if you can get one, but prices are still kinda bad atm. 

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Em, well VEGA 56 seems like it's trading blows with the GTX 1070, both will easily max games out on 1080p for another few years, but both will be bought by miners probably, and VEGA needs after market cooling and kinda uses a lot of power. A GTX 1050ti or GTX 1060, RX 580 would also be good if you can get one, but prices are still kinda bad atm. 

if heat output and power are a concern, i wouldnt suggest Vega personally.

with that budget, you should be able to get a 1070 if you can find one in stock. or save a few bucks and get the 1060

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

26 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

if heat output and power are a concern, i wouldnt suggest Vega personally.

with that budget, you should be able to get a 1070 if you can find one in stock. or save a few bucks and get the 1060

For short-term medium-high settings, 60fps can be acheived with the 1050ti. I used to have one, and it is really good for the price.

I recently upgraded to a 1070, and its somewhat overkill for 1080p. Even the anti-aliasing options with performance warnings in rise of the tomb raider struggle to slow it down.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

10 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

For short-term medium-high settings, 60fps can be acheived with the 1050ti. I used to have one, and it is really good for the price.

I recently upgraded to a 1070, and its somewhat overkill for 1080p. Even the anti-aliasing options with performance warnings in rise of the tomb raider struggle to slow it down.

A 1070 would be my ideal option I think. I will hold off a bit longer in hopes that prices will drop a bit. Here in Canada the cheapest 1070 on pcpartpicker is $550 which is a bit more than I want to spend, especially when taxes are factored in. Vega doesn't really seem to be a great option and Volta is apparently quite a ways away.