High CPU usage from System32 attrib.exe

SpectacleBrent

So I've been working on this issue for about a week and I have searched everywhere I could find to no avail.  Hoping someone here can give me some good direction.

This is a month old build. It is a z270 build with a 7700k. if any other specs are needed, please let me know.

It started as I noticed super high CPU usage,  in the 90's%.  I immediately opened task manager and It dropped to 4%.   When i Closed task manager it shot back up.  I opened IOBIT process manager to  find it was the System32 attrib.exe.  I ran multiple virus and malware scans and they all find nothing. As long as i have the task manager open, that file is nowhere to be found in my tasks, but i would much rather fix this. any ideas or insight would be greatly appreciated.

In Task Manager, you can show the command line column, but right-clicking on the columns names, and pick select columns.

What is the command line of this process?

What else do you use to see your running processes?

Keep in mind that it is normal for the Task Manager to take a lot of CPU when loading.

When i open task manager, the process disappears.  I have to use the IObit  process manager to find it.

C:\Windows\System32\attrib.exe

running Task manager is the only thing that makes my cpu usage drop

5 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

In Task Manager, you can show the command line column, but right-clicking on the columns names, and pick select columns.

What is the command line of this process?

What else do you use to see your running processes?

Keep in mind that it is normal for the Task Manager to take a lot of CPU when loading.

When i open task manager, the process disappears.  I have to use the IObit  process manager to find it.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/13/2017 at 5:58 AM, SpectacleBrent said:

Hi, i hope its not too late, i also have the same problem as you do, and i find a way to solve it, basically that the malware is mining monero using your cpu, hence the high cpu usage. the way to remove it is to scan it with kaspersky and delete the malware . i tried to scan it with malware bytes, and windows defender. but seems that kaspersky the only one that able to detect it.