GPU Reaching high temps at both Idle and Load ?!

Damianos

Hello everyone.

I've started to monitor my GPU temps lately, as I've decided to OC it to somewhere around 1450/3800 and I noticed my temps are quite high, idle is 53-58°C (fans always at 0%) load is 83°C (fans around 83%).

I thought it was all from the dust that build up in my case, so I decided to clean it. After a thorough cleaning and making sure there is very little/no dust inside the case, especially around the GPU I decided to test the temps again.

It seems nothing has changed, temps are still somewhere around 50-53°C (fans still at 0%) at idle after a bit when PC started then slowly rising to 58°C , and load is 82°C (fans still at 83%).

Does anyone have any idea what's causing this ?

Here is my system:

CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.5 GHz

GPU: MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G

Motherboard: AsRock Z77 Extreme4

RAM: Patriot G2 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz

PSU: SuperFlower Leadex Gold 650W

Case: Fractal Design Define R5

The clocks of the GPU are at:
135/405 when idle
1350/3500 when gaming (GPU boosts itself)

There is 1 intake fan and 1 exhaust fan in my case.

I unfortunately don't know my room temps since I don't have a thermometer, and the outside is 35°C some the room gets heated up a little.

Some folk also have said that having a 144hz monitor increases the GPU temps since it renders more frames , is there any truth to this ?

Anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce temps ?

EDIT:
All of this was tested in a slightly cool room, on Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor on everything maxed out (with HD Content installed) @ 1440p for around 5-10 minutes.

GPUs are designed to run hot so that the fan isn't making noise all the time..

And are the temps safe ? The reviewers who had this card had them running at 40°C at idle and 72°C at load.

as long as the card is not thermal throttling, the temperatures are safe. i just run my GPU fan at manual speed at 100% all of the time and wear headphones.

Ok, if I want to OC it , what temps should I be aware of ?

83% fan speed and 82C seems pretty hot for an MSI Gaming 980Ti, it's a really good cooler. It's not a temperature to be worried about though, and if your ambients are as hot as 35C, and your case fans/airflow aren't all that good (only two fans), it's plausible. I wouldn't even bother looking at the idle temps because there's so many variables, also with you having a 144Hz monitor it might not be clocking the memory down on the card like it should, causing it to run a bit hotter, Nvidia cards do that. Nvidia's max temp on the 980Ti is 92C, so anything under 90C will be fine unless you're planning on keeping it for 10 years for some mad reason.

Have you tried leaving your case door off to see if it impacts temperatures at all? If it does, might just be sub-optimal airflow.

Thanks for the reply Cooky.

Anyway , I thought but could it be possible for these temps to be high also because I'm gaming @ 1440p ?