I need the communities help on gear

astro2004

I have 2 issues I need help with.

1- My service provider allows hotspots in all of their routers.  If I am 400 miles from home, and somebody has their service, I can use my login to use the internet.   The issue is the signal is too weak.  That's how I found this forum.   What exactly do I need to purchase to reach out and grab that weak signal?  

2- My father is in a rual area, is there anyway to get him service?   

1-get closer to whoevers wifi you're trying to piggyback off of.  i believe its only 2.4GHz band(and honestly probably wireless N) so you arent going to get much better without getting closer.

2-satellite internet. its shit, and super slow, but it works.  you'll have to look for ISP's in his area, and then call them to see how much it would be, and if they can offer it.

welcome to the forum by the way

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

2 minutes ago, astro2004 said:

I thought the Nanostation would work.

make sure to quote when replying, so i get the notification :)

I dont have a lot of experience with Ubiquity systems, so i dont know for sure if that will work. however, it does look like it might. that being said, it may not play very nicely with your ISP's network(the using somebody elses modem part).

but its not super expensive so it may be worth getting to to give it a short and try it.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

5 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

make sure to quote when replying, so i get the notification :)

I dont have a lot of experience with Ubiquity systems, so i dont know for sure if that will work. however, it does look like it might. that being said, it may not play very nicely with your ISP's network(the using somebody elses modem part).

but its not super expensive so it may be worth getting to to give it a short and try it.

I'm willing, but know nothing about them.  It's why I came here.  I'm hoping somebody has some experience

6 hours ago, astro2004 said:

1- My service provider allows hotspots in all of their routers.  If I am 400 miles from home, and somebody has their service, I can use my login to use the internet.   The issue is the signal is too weak.  That's how I found this forum.   What exactly do I need to purchase to reach out and grab that weak signal?  

People can opt-out of the public hotspot configuration on their home router, any ISP who offers this must also offer an opt-out policy.  It would depend entirely on if the user is opt-in or opt-out whether their router will allow you access.  If you don't have control over the wifi on both sides, you are going to struggle getting better signal, you can try external antennas but you may just be sinking money in to nothing. 

Regarding the rural area, check if the area is covered by any ISP's that utilise WiFi / WiMax systems as a lot of rural areas now have WiMax for service access.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

16 hours ago, astro2004 said:

Comcast does this. I can tell you that most Comcast equipment is shit to begin with. I remember when I used to have their modem/router combo they had an extra SSID for open WiFi. The thing is, most providers are still using old wireless N routers. I like to say the max range on 2.4 Ghz is like 300 feet or so. Depending on the WiFi standard used. Your pretty much screwed. 

In rural area's satellite and 4G LTE are generally the options.  Some times your lucky and can get DSL, but most of the time no. This is why I dont live out in the boonies. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.